Under The Bleachers

Normalcy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The doorbell sounds and, as per usual, Nari rushes down to answer the door. She opened it, almost closing it as she sees Baekhyun standing there, smiling brightly. Instead, her eyes widened as she moved outside, closing it behind her.

"Oppa, what are you doing here?!" Nari whisper-shouted.

He smiled goofily. "I had to wait twelve hours and forty two minutes to see you."

That’s right, twelve hours and forty two minutes since they’d parted ways the night before, and fourteen hours and twenty four minutes since they’d decided to be a couple.

Staring at him in astonishment, she sighed. "And you couldn't wait another half an hour until I got to school?"

"That's asking too much."

Nari resisted the urge to face palm. "You need to leave before Chanyeol oppa comes downstairs!”

"I know we promised to keep this a secret but, you’re worrying too much. Chanyeol asked me to walk with you guys. Jongdae has a student council meeting this morning so, I have you all to myself. Sort of." Baekhyun chuckled, slipping his fingers around her hand.

“He’s a student council member?”

He frowned. “You really didn’t pay attention to us, did you?”

Nari looked away guiltily, taking a deep breath as she calmed down. Up until a few months ago, the only thoughts she had about Baekhyun and Jongdae were anxious ones. Never once was she curious about them but, rather when they’d leave the house.

"Nari, who is it?" Chanyeol called out.

Nari held her racing heart. "Baekhyun oppa."

She slipped her hand swiftly away from Baekhyun. Chanyeol pushed against the door, smiling at Baekhyun as he opened it.

"What are you guys doing out here? Not a secret lovers rendezvous I hope." Chanyeol led them inside with a wink.

"Why would you even say that?" Nari replied shakily.

"Just joking." Chanyeol smiled, pinching her cheek.

They grabbed their bags, saying a quick goodbye to their parents before they set off for school. Chanyeol walked closely beside Nari, holding her hand tightly. Baekhyun and him bickered along the street about whether he should hold Nari’s hand as well, ‘for protection’. They came to the one-sided agreement that he wouldn’t.

The road began to narrow, and Baekhyun was forced to walk behind them. Nari forced her head to stay forward, not letting herself glance back at him. As they walked past the usual convenience store, she felt something grab at her hand. She jerked back quickly, turning to look at Baekhyun’s cheeky smile.

"Are you okay, Nari?" Chanyeol asked.

"Of course." Nari smiled awkwardly at him.

Calming her heart, they stopped at a crossing, waiting for the lights to change. The boys stood either side of her. Chanyeol was still clenching her hand like she was about to fly away but, Baekhyun’s hand had also made it’s way into her other. His thumb the back of her palm slow and steady as he continued to joke with Chanyeol. Nari stared intensely at the last stripe on the crossing, taking deep breaths in and out.

It made no sense to her how their locked fingers managed to escape Chanyeol’s icy glare. And they remained unnoticed even until Baekhyun let go as they walked again.

It wasn’t long before they reached the school and they had to part ways at the stairs. Chanyeol hesitantly let go of Nari’s hand, waving goodbye. Baekhyun pretended to follow before turning back to Nari and kissing her on the cheek quickly. He ran off before she could say anything, swinging an arm around Chanyeol’s shoulders.

Nari ambled hopelessly to her classroom, winded. As she approached her desk, she felt her phone vibrate.

Baekhyun oppa:

Under the bleachers for lunch?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter