Swallowing My Mortification

Normalcy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Nari ruffled through her drawers, failing to find the matching sock to her pair. She pushed past her underwear, chucking any sock she didn’t need onto the floor, until she found her match. Slipping them onto her feet, she heard the doorbell ring. She rushed down the stairs, knowing her brother would still be asleep, and opened the door. She was taken aback by the smiling faces of Baekhyun and Jongdae.

"Morning, Nari," Baekhyun started.

"Oppa..." Nari muttered in disbelief.

She stood still in shock, knowing she wasn’t ready for any nervous interactions this early in the day. She had been slowly, gradually warming up to Baekhyun over the past four weeks, but she wasn’t prepared for anything outside of her obligations just yet.

"I guess Chanyeol didn't tell you," Jongdae stated, awkwardly laughing.

They both chuckled as they walked passed her into the house. She followed them in, Chanyeol only now gracing them with his half-awake presence.

"Oh, yeah. Jongdae and Baekhyun are walking with us this morning," Chanyeol said as he rubbed his eyes.

Her eyes stay wide in shock, holding back the urge to scoff at her nonchalant brother. She quickly rushed up the stairs and went into her room, making sure to close the door.

"It's okay. It's okay. It's okay," Nari chanted to herself.

Footsteps moved their way up the stairs, stomping heavily in Nari’s mind as she stood. She frantically started packing away her things into her school bag. The loud steps grew closer and closer to her door until the door burst open and she turned to Baekhyun smiling brightly at her.

"Come on. We'll be late," he said.

He gestured for her to come out of the room and she grabbed her bag, heart racing as she followed him down the stairs.

-

Sunhi’s mouth ran at one hundred kilometres a minute as she spoke at Nari, detailing every single unpleasant thing she’d encountered that day. Which Nari wasn’t surprised to find there were a lot of. She also wasn’t surprised that most of them were because of Jongin. When will they just admit they are in love with each other like in the movies? Nari thought.

She excused herself to go to her locker but Sunhi followed behind diligently, not stopping for more than a tiny breath in between her rants. Nari opened her locker, and yet another note slipped out, just as she had expected every Friday. She grabbed it quickly to shove in her pocket but Sunhi’s eyes were faster than her hands.

"What's that?" Sunhi asked.

Nari’s stomach churned queasily, knowing Sunhi will want every detail now. She slipped her hand out of her pocket and opened the note shakily for her to see.

It read:

We're close

I feel you near me every day

We're far

You don't seem to hear me

"Oh, my goodness! Is that a love letter?! That's definitely a love letter. Why do you have a love letter?!" Sunhi rambled excitedly.

Nari took a deep breath. "I still can't figure that out."

A smile slowly creeped on Sunhi’s face, eyes bright.

"This is so exciting! Who would of thought that Park Nari could have a love life?!"

She grabbed Nari by the shoulders, shaking her back and forth in excitement.

"Do you know some people would take offense to that?" Nari laughed.

Sunhi stopped shaking her suddenly, looking down at her feet in shame.

"You know I don't mean that. Of course, you could. Even Jongin acknowledges you're pretty! It's just, I never thought anyone would be able to approach you!"

"Shout a little louder, Sunhi." Nari smiled at her.

Sunhi huffed, crossed her arms and stomped back to her seat. Nari followed.

"You should take this more seriously, Nari. This could be a major development for you," she explained.

Nari sighed, turning away from her to open her exercise book.

"I'm serious. Is this the first one you've received? If not, how long has this been happening? How many notes have you got? How serious do they sound? Do you have any clue who it is?" Sunhi came closer, interrogating her.

Nari took a deep breath. "No. Three weeks today. Four, including this one. I can't tell. No clue."

Sunhi nodded as if putting it all together in her mind. Nari resisted the urge to giggle at her.

"So, we basically have nothing to go on..." Sunhi concluded.

"I don't want anything to ‘go on’," Nari stated.

Sunhi turned to her with wide eyes. "What do you mean?"

"All these notes did was give me more problems."

"But what if he turns out to be the love of your life?"

"He'll just have to wait."

She huffed and crossed her arms again, obviously dejected by her easily crushed moment of excitement.

"I decid

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter