Couldn't Help The Hesitation

Normalcy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“So, how’s the song going?” Sunhi asked as she turned to Nari enthusiastically.

Her default response was to sigh, having heard those words a few too many times now. But no matter how long she’d been hearing them, she was never relieved of the immense weight that pressed down further and further every time someone mentioned it.

“I’ve got two lines,” Nari replied exasperatedly.

Sunhi stared at her in disbelief. Her hands instinctively rested on her hips.

“Seriously, Nari, I don’t understand what’s wrong. You used to pump songs out like a cannon.”

Nari managed a weak smile amongst the sickness before rising from her desk and walking over to her locker. This was the only tactic that ever seemed to cut Sunhi’s never-ending conversation.

Nari nonchalantly opened her locker and found herself sighing as a note slipped out, like déjà vu. Once she picked it up, staring down at its burdensome exterior, she almost felt like throwing it away before reading. But knowing that it was the third note she’d received, she knew there would be more to come. She knew they came from someone’s heart. She knew that it would only make her feel guiltier. So, for the third time, she opened the note.

It read:

I know you’re probably tired of this.

What can I do?

What can I say?

Let me help.

At least they seem to understand me… Nari thought. She sighed for the umpteenth time that day and slipped the note into her pocket. The sickness inside her stomach from her previous conversation only tripled and Nari found herself walking out of the classroom despite there being only five minutes left of their break.

She wandered and wandered and wandered the school grounds, somehow knowing and not knowing where she was going until she stopped. Amongst a perfect silence, fresh air and empty atmosphere, she only felt more weighed down by the words. She never knew she could feel this burdened by someone. She knew their connotation was meant with sweet and comforting content but with the growing desperation that they conveyed through each letter, she only felt more guilty. Like she was in debt.

A deep breath in and a deep breath out seemed to lighten Nari as she heard the bell sound for classes. Well it was either that, or the fact that the mixed anxiety of her incomplete song and her mysterious letter was stashed away behind her current worry of being late to class.

-

Nari quickly shuffled out of the music club room before Kyungsoo could hold her up any further. Even though they’d found a level ground of understanding and friendship after two weeks together, Nari still couldn’t shake her nervous feeling around him. Little contact as possible was her decision for any situation in her life.

And so, she was walking calmly down the hallways until she spotted in the distance a certain person waiting at the school’s entrance. Her comfort didn’t last much longer after that. Her pace quickened until she stood directly in front of him, breathing heavily.

Baekhyun looked up at her with a smile, “Hi, Nari.”

“Hello … oppa.” That word still felt disconnected from Baekhyun and Nari couldn’t help her hesitation.

He smiled slightly as he led her away from the entrance and on to the path home as he had done for the past two weeks. Despite the fact she was slowly climatizing herself to this routine, Nari couldn’t let herself take the lead. Baekhyun always set the pace and always remained a step or two ahead of her. Today the pace was set to a leisurely daydream. Her least favourite. It was moments l

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter