When They Were Young

Final Call
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Their rush to the hospital is caught up by some traffic, while she’s fighting for her life, another people are having some late summer festival that caused the very congestion on the road. One drug after another are being injected into her and she can’t really make sense of their names. He must have known about it, if he’s here with her, he’ll begin to lecture her about those drugs and its function in her system. 

When the ambulance pulls over in front of the emergency room, some other doctors are ready to rolls her gurney to begins starting evaluate her. The paramedic that follows her earlier shouting some medical terms and numbers that beyond her comprehension, the brighter light in the alley hurts her eyesight and for a second she thinks she begins seeing things again.

She just saw the memory of her first day of school being played in her mind like and old movie and now his face is still bothering her sight. She can hear her name is being called and she believes she’s about to watch another episode of her memory. But why is his voice sounds so loud and clear? As if he’s standing right beside her.

“Seulri-ya! You hear me? You have to stay awake!” His voice breaks into the edge of her unconsciousness.

“Sir, you’re not allowed to be here.” A woman’s voice is on alert.

“I’m a surgeon.” He takes his ID and show it to her, “I work in Seoul Hospital, I know this person, her name is Kang Seulri she’s my neighbor and I have to be by her side. I’m all she has now, please don’t send me away. I won’t interrupt your procedures; I’ll just stay beside her and keep her opening her eyes.”

Seulri lifts her eyes to the source of his voice and her heart flickers in the sight of his worry face that’s begging to be let in. He takes his attention back into her after he’s cleared in the E.R, leaning closer on her right side to keep talking to her.

“Seulri-ya! Whatever you do, you can’t go to sleep, understand? Look at me.” He follows the rest of the doctors that surround her. “Just look at me and everything will be fine, okay?”

She blinks slowly, letting him know that she can hear him but she can’t make words with . She tries to mumble—but nothing, with the pipe blocking her breathing tube she won’t be able to utter a word.

“What’s going on with her?” A raspy voice interrupts the other doctors.

“Kang Seulri, victim of a car accident, blunt-force trauma to the head, chest and abdomen and also an open skull fracture.” The woman’s voice explains. “Persistent hypertension after two liters of saline. Pulse is thready at 130.”

“Get me four units of bloods.” The owner of the raspy voice now stands really close to her head; she can see the man in his mid-fifty with curly gray hair is looking intensely for something on her head. “Bad MVD, had to be extracted.”

She takes a glance from the corner of her eyes to the only comfort she has in the room. The man beside her that keeps staring at her with his teary eyes.

“It’s okay, they’ll help you.” He convinces her, knowing she must be really scared at the moment, being surrounded by doctors in green scrubs with some foreign words she doesn’t understand.

Her lips are moving uncontrollably while she’s trying so hard to make a sound, she tries to lifts her hand to touch him but it’s restrained by a belt that’s hanging from the side of her bed. In her desperate measure she tries to mouth her word to him but she really can’t control her movement anymore.

Kyuhyun looks deeply into her eyes, searching for some clue to calm her a little bit. She must be very scared and she’s currently in a massive pain. He feels like somebody is reaping his heart out from him once he really looks through her eyes. He’s known her long enough to be able to translate her emotion that she delivers: She’s scared, she’s screaming inside, and she’s angry with her state. But what hurts him the most is the dim resigned look that consumes her—she’s about to give up, and he can’t let that happen.

“Doctor, the paramedic informed that she positively loss of consciousness at the scene and she poorly responsive.” The woman doctor continues to explain her situation. “GCS of 10 (Glasgow Coma Scale, scoring system to describe one’s level of consciousness) and the way she blinks to our questions tells she’s still pretty responsive.”

“Kang Seulri-ssi, can you hear us? if you can, please blink once.” The old doctor tests her vital.

She blinks once as asked yet feeling another heavy pull from her eyelids.

“Eye opening to speech, loss of verbal skills, possible bleeding in the brain, pupils are equal and reactive.” The old doctor confirms.

She can hear a rolling tray is push towards her, the next thing she sees are four bagful of red solution that she concludes as blood. How much blood has she lost? Why does it take that much to replace it?

“Seulri-ya, just look at me, don’t look at anything else just look at me and I promise everything will be fine. They will fix you, you’ll be okay soon enough, okay?” His tears flowing freely from his eyes, knowing that he just lied to her just to keep her fighting spirit intact.

He knows that she had enough for over the week, she’s overcome every hardship heaven could throw into somebody’s shoulder and she was just crawling out from her suffering when he decided to shattered her into pieces. It was too much, he was too much. And the look in her eyes clearly tells him that she’s tired already—she’s tired reaching out to him, tired to try to makes things right, and tired of the idea of living altogether.

With the chaos around her, she once again nodded off from her consciousness. She’s half-aware of his voice that keeps calling her name beside her, but she can’t fight the force in her eyes. She falls into the darkness one more time.

And the old movie begins playing one more time in her head.

 

*

 

In between all schools she’s enrolled to, this one is probably the best one so far. After two months living in the city, she finally understands the bright alley that won’t cause her any harm, she also found a new friend whom she can have lunch with, her comprehension of the lesson beginning to get easier and one best thing of all is that she has this sunbae that always waits for her in front of the main gate whenever the school end.

Ever since he helped her to run away from the drunkards, Kyuhyun has been finding excuses to get close to the stunningly beautiful hoobae that attracts his attention. He once promise himself that he won’t get involved in any kind of romance during his senior year, because he’ll need the rest of his free time to study hard if he want to pursue his dream of becoming a surgeon like his parents. Kang Seulri managed to change his mind within seconds after he met her and he’s trying his subtle way to make way into her heart these days.

The girls he’s waiting for is now approaching her steps

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter