When He Stepped Too Far

Final Call
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

He’s still sitting patiently next to her hours after she’s taken out from the O.R. they put her in the I.C.U for the next day to motorized any little improvement. Kyuhyun’s eyes change focus from her face to the monitor that shows the impulses in her brain next to her. He knows what kind of condition she’s in and he knows the procedure that’ll happen very soon—and he swears he’s not ready for it.

A nurse enters the I.C.U, asking Kyuhyun to follow her towards the waiting area. She said there are some stuffs he needed to know and taken care of and he just followed her after he gives a soft kiss on Seulri’s cheek.

Three people already waited for him once he’s out of the I.C.U. The first one is the old doctor that was in charge of the E.R that night, the second one is also a hospital worker with a file in his hand and he doesn’t really know who’s the other person is—but that person glared at him as if he stole something from him.

“Cho Kyuhyun-ssi, please let me introduce you to Mr. Park. He’s the head of finance in the hospital.” The old doctor starts talking.

Kyuhyun offers his hand and introduced himself.

“And this is Mr..?”

“Ok. Ok Taecyeon.” Taecyeon replied sharply, “no need to introduce us doctor.”

In his normal day, Kyuhyun might get annoyed by Taecyeon’s rudeness, but today is a tiring and emotional day for him and he has no strength left to argue.

“If the two of you would be so kind to follow me.” Mr. Park leads Taecyeon and Kyuhyun towards his office.

The two men take a seat in front of the financial advisor’s table.

“Well, let’s cut to the main problem.” Mr. Park starts, “First of all, I’m sorry for what happened to Kang Seulri.”

The two men in front of him nodded half-heartedly.

“Both of you are the only people that come to this hospital beside the one that crashed her—but he’s in the police station right now—what I need to know is, is any of you two her guardian?”

Kyuhyun shakes his head and Taecyeon does the same.

“What’s the problem? Let me take a wild guess, you’re a financial advisor, so it must have something to do with her medical bill?” Taecyeon cut him in.

Mr. Park smiles politely, “Yes, it seems to be like that. As you see, she’s not covered in any insurance and..”

“I’ll pay for everything. Just give me the bill and I will pay for all the expenses needed—I am her insurance. In return, do whatever you can, use whatever medical technology you know to help her.” Taecyeon replies.

Kyuhyun takes a quick glance to the man beside him, more questions arise in his mind. Seems like he met this guy before but he can’t really remember where.

“Thank you for your cooperation, but there’s also another problem.” Mr. Park continues. “The thing is Kang Seulri-ssi now in the state we call ‘brain-dead’, that makes it hard for us the hospital and also the relatives, what I mean is..”

“You need the bed.” Kyuhyun cut him sharply this time.

Now Taecyeon is the one that pays attention to him.

“I know how it works, Mr. Park. We wait the requisite number of hours and now after the hours passed you can officially declare her dead.” He gulped to get rid of the imaginary lump in his throat, “Normally, you’d talk to the relative about organ donation, but I was in the O.R with her and I can tell you, there’s not much left of her to donate.”

Taecyeon’s jaw dropped in shock. Cho Kyuhyun said what? Seulri’s dead?

“The I.C.U needs a bed and there must be some papers you want her family to sign to decide what to do with her—now that she’s dead but she’s not really dead.” Kyuhyun continues. “And it leaves her family with two options, to put her up in the long-term-care facility and cross our fingers then hope for fairy tales, magic and happy ending? Or do we pull the plug? Is that what you want to say Mr. Park?”

Mr. Park clearly caught off guard with the two rude men in front of him. One is an arrogant man that waive his credit card in front of his face and the other one is a witty snuck-up doctor.

“Seulri, how is she?” Taecyeon finally asks.

Mr. Park clears his throat and gather the papers in front of him. “She’s in a coma, but judging from her condition what doctor Cho said earlier was right, a brain-dead patient is less likely to survive without all the machines that we attached on her.”

“So you suggested one of us to sign the form to pull the plug on her?” Taecyeon raised his voice. “Are you crazy?! Is this even a hospital? You’re supposed to save life here!”

“We tried our best, but the thing is, we’re a small hospital and if Kang Seulri stays..”

Taecyeon got up from his seat and bangs the table, he took the form Mr. Park prepared, crumbles it into a ball then tosses it to the corner of the room. “I’m paying for her. Didn’t I make myself clear? This is not any kind of insurance coverage that you can only get several percent off of it.”

“Taecyeon-ssi, let’s talk outside.” Kyuhyun gets up, he doesn’t even bother to create more scene in that room. He’s exhausted and he planned to safe his remaining power to stay beside her instead of getting into an argument with a financial advisor.

“Aren’t you going to fight for her?!” Taecyeon now glares at him.

“Let’s talk outside. This man can’t do anything to her if neither of us sign anything.” He replies calmly then get himself out of the stuffed room.

Kyuhyun has no idea where he wants to go but he needs some fresh air, he was stuck for four hours in the O.R that filled with the smell of blood and sterile solutions and he’s sick of it. Taecyeon follows him from behind, considering whether he should starts arguing with the man he knows Seulri adores so much.

“Please tell me you won’t sign the paper.” Taecyeon speaks up once they’re outside in the hospital park.

Kyuhyun takes a deep breath, “Sooner or later one of us maybe have to do that.”

“What?”

“I don’t know who you are, but seemed like she’s someone important to you so I’m going to tell you this. Kang Seulri’s life is supported by machines at the moment. She’s not just in a coma, a person in coma will still show some reactions in the brain but she’s brain-dead.” Kyuhyun lifts his hand to cover his face, saying it out loud has make her condition more real to him now.

“And you’re saying she doesn’t have a chance of survival?” Taecyeon’s voice lowers, he feels his eyes gets hotter just with the thought of Seulri being helpless.

Kyuhyun shakes his head, “Like I said, we cross our finger and pray for a miracle.”

Taecyeon quickly grab Kyuhyun by his collar and within seconds he throws a punch on his face, causing Kyuhyun to fall on the ground without any resistance from his side.

“THAT’S FOR WHAT YOU JUST SAID!” Taecyeon’s eyes fills with tears now but he only blinks to get rid of it.

He grabs Kyuhyun’s collar again and throw another fist on the other side of his face.

“THAT’S FOR THAT STUPID PROPOSAL YOU DARED TO PULL OUT IN FRONT OF HER!!” His breathing got faster as his emotion got intense.

With his face that’s wet by his own tears, Ok Taecyeon lift Kyuhyun one more time by his collar and throw another punch.

“THAT’S BECAUSE I JUST WANT TO PUNCH YOU ON THE FACE!” He grits his teeth.

Kyuhyun keeps his place on the ground, secretly wish Taecyeon would punch him for some more. Maybe he’d feel less guilty if he’s bruised badly, maybe this is the wakeup call he needed all these time.

Taecyeon then falls on his knee beside Kyuhyun, they both has erase their pride away as both of them now crying for the same reason.

“Please let her fight longer.” Taecyeon whispered. “I will pay for all the expense, but please let her fight this. I want to believe in miracle, I know she’s strong. I’ll take care of her, I’ll take her far away once she recovered, you’ll get your wish to never see her again. But please don’t pull the plug on her.”

“Do you think I want to?” Kyuhyun replies in hoarse voice, “I want that fairy tale and magic too, I promised her to start over. But, to let her live on life support is also cruel to her.”

“Give her more time, Kyuhyun-ssi. Please.” He’s begging now. “If you can’t trust miracle, then trust her. She’s the feistiest warrior when it comes to a battle like this. I know her, you said you promised her to start over? Then I know she’s currently fighting her best to get that future with you.”

Kyuhyun lifts his face to carefully look into Taecyeon, who’s this man to Seulri? Why he’s dedicating his heart so much to her and how come he knew about Seulri and Kyuhyun.

“All these time, that’s the only thing she ever wanted.” Taecyeon put his head up to the sky to prevent more tears from falling, “She only sees you, Kyuhyun-ssi. Don’t let her down, not now.”

 

*

 

Kyuhyun’s morning started badly when his mother rang his front door. If it’s just a casual visit, then Kyuhyun can just ignore her and get himself ready for work. But that morning his mother came with some files in her hand and a little box on top of the pile. He knew what’s in it just by one look.

“Oemma, are you still going to push my marriage with Jinae?” He pointed to little box.

She smiles widely, “She’s here already and we can start arranging the wedding. I’m so excited, my only son will be the most handsome groom out there.”

Kyuhyun rolled his eyes and leave the door open for his mother to enter. “I’m still undecided with that, besides now I’m the one that’s taking the scholarship.”

“That’s why it’s perfect! You get married first then you can go. She can stay with me, I promise I’ll treat her as nice as I treat Ahra.”

Kyuhyun ignored his mother and he chose to continue his morning routine to prepare himself for a morning shift. After he’s done taking a shower, his mother already laid out the outfit for him.

“Here, just wear this. You’ll have a date with Jinae this evening right?”

Kyuhyun nodded half-heartedly.

“This suit accentuates your shoulders and you look good in dark blue, put it on.” She shoved the suit into him.

“Oemma, I’m not a kid anymore.”

“Ey, this might be the last time I can dress you up like this, after you’re married, it’s going to be your wife’s job. Let me embrace my moment.” She pouts .

Kyuhyun scoffed to his mother’s childish attitude buy obeyed her like a good son he should.

“Well, help yourself out oemma, I really have to leave for work now.”

“Time to safe life!” She pecked her son and let him leave.

His mother smiled over her satisfaction of being sneaky, if Cho Kyuhyun continued to be undecided about his marriage with Jinae then she would be the one that stepped in betw

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter