Heaven's Bad Sense of Humor

Final Call
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Kyuhyun grabs a rolling chair available in the O.R to sit on so he can talk to Seulri in the same level, he’s leaving the operation to the more experienced doctor and he keeps his focus on keeping her senses to stay alert.

Seulri turns her head to the right side slowly to get a full look into the only thing that matters to her, her finger is tracing down every inches of his face, she wipes the tears in his eyes one more time but Kyuhyun just keep on crying.

Why are you crying, oppa? she wants to ask him. It doesn’t make much sense to her to see that Kyuhyun is now drowning in his own tears seeing her dying slowly in front of him.

“Seulri-ya, are you scared now?” He whispered next to her with his hand on the top of her head, caressing her hair that’s sticky with the blood she gets from her head wound.

She shakes her head as far as she could and hopes he gets the message, she places her right palm on his face and uses her thumb to wipe another tear that falls from his eye.

“Good, that’s my girl, my girl Seulri isn’t afraid of anything.” He forces himself to smile, “You shouldn’t be scared, do you know why? Because I’m here with you. They’re doing a great job and soon my sunbae will arrive and help you with your other wound, okay?”

She blinks and tries to smile.

“Promise me you will fight your hardest to stay alert and alive, can you do that for me?” He pleads.

I will do anything for you, oppa. She blinks one more time and she lifts up her pinky, Kyuhyun links his own pinky finger into hers and stamps on their thumbs together.

“Great, because there are a lot of things we haven’t done and the list just keep on growing.” He tries to distract her from the current situation, “We still have to visit that theme park for the new roller coaster, and you want to go see the beach again before autumn comes, don’t forget those Marvel movies you’ve been waiting for—you can’t leave before knowing how those heroes save the whole galaxy, and you have that ticket to a concert you’ve been dying to see, remember? You have to fight for all of those.”

To be by your side is enough reason for me, but is that still possible now? She let her tear falls from the socket.

Seulri feels like somebody is sitting on her chest because she’s suffocated all the sudden, she fights the pressure but no matter how much she tries to keep her heart rhythm normally, she can hear the heart monitor on her left beeps faster and faster.

Kyuhyun also notices this sudden change and he immediately gets up and takes a stethoscope that lays around on the operating table behind him. He puts the ear piece into his ear and quickly check on Seulri, “Breath in as deep as you can for me, Seulri-ya.”

She follows his instruction and it leads to another projectile blood vomiting from , Kyuhyun’s hands now covered with her blood but he ignores that as he has another thing to be worried about.

“Doctor, permission to do an ultrasound on her chest.” Kyuhyun informs the head surgeon.

“Approve, do what you can for now, I have to close her up down here.” He replies.

The intern brings in the cart into him and Kyuhyun takes no delay to look into the problem in her chest, “I will have to tear open your shirt now.” He asks for her permission before he runs the scissors to cut open the remaining fabric that still covers Seulri.

There she was, exposed and dying at the same time with the love of her life trying to save her with any way that he knew. She keeps her focus on his face only and she avoids to look into what’s happening on her chest at the moment. Any kind of medical procedure scares her a little bit because she doesn’t like seeing and smelling blood—especially her own.

“She’s still hypotensive, I can’t find any lung laceration.” Kyuhyun informs the doctor. Maybe in some other time, he would look super cool in her eyes. Doing medical procedure, speaking the language that only the doctors understand, trying to safe live and everything.

“Doctor, you finish stitching her up, I’ll check her lungs now.” The old doctor gives his command to his junior and come to the other side of Seulri’s body.

He puts his stethoscope into his ear and does the thing Kyuhyun did few moments ago while Kyuhyun is running the ultrasound device across her chest.

“Hilum’s intact, she’s not bleeding in her chest this makes no sense.” Kyuhyun curls his eyebrow in frustration.

“Set up for T.E.E! (An ultrasound to look further into the heart chamber)” The old doctor commands the nurse to bring in another device.

He takes a glance into her again, although it’s really subtle, Kyuhyun can see that Seulri is smiling weakly. It frustrates him, how could she smile in time like this. He knew she’s always that person that swallows her pain and put on a great show to the world as if no problem on Earth could bother her, but does she really have to smile and pretend right now? As her friend he knows that he should just keep on cheering for her and keep on telling her that she’s doing fine.

But as a doctor, he knows that she’s dying very slowly and painfully in front of him.

 

*

 

Few minutes passed with both of them starring into each other in disbelieve, he’s been looking for her in the past six years and she’s been avoiding him in the same amount of time. Yet here they were, stuck in one of the hospital’s emergency curtained chamber. She was squinting her eyes from the pain that still pierced her right foot and he was too shocked of what he saw that for a second he thought he was hallucinating.

A little nudge from the female doctor beside him finally broke off the awkward silence and took his mind back to the present time.

Kyuhyun cleared his throat as he walked closer towards her, took a rolling stool to sat on and rolled himself to the side of her feet that’s wounded. Seulri eyes still wide open and her pupils followed his movement in one fluid motion.

“So, Kang Seulri-ssi. Tell me what’s going on here.” He looked at her right foot and he could see some green glasses pieces still stuck to the flesh.

Kyuhyun tried his best to keep a straight face as if he didn’t want anyone in the room knew that he knew the patient he’s about to took care of and Seulri got the message from his stiff way to questioned her.

In the other hand, Seulri was froze still, she was certain that her heart forgot how to beat normally and something about the way he talked to her just brought some pain into her heart—the last time they spoke to each other his tone was so calm and warming and the current situation was the complete opposite of that.

“Kang Seulri-ssi?” He asked one more time without looking into her face, “I can only do a procedure if I know what happened. And by the way, you’re right Jinae she definitely need some stiches.” He lifted his face from the wounded feet into the female doctor beside him.

“Told you, I sprayed some alcohol on it and the blood just keep on flowing.” She bended her back to give a closer look into the patient’s foot. Making her face only inches away from Kyuhyun’s. “Kang Seulri said that she accidentally stepped on broken glass.” The doctor lifted her face and looked into Seulri for confirmation.

Seulri nodded weakly, still consumed by her shock.

“Glass or soju bottle? It’s green pieces of glass here.” He replied coldly.

“Broken glasses.” Seulri answer shortly. “It was dark and I couldn’t see where I was going.”

He smirked, “Ever heard the invention called slippers?” He lifted his hand so the nurse could slip on the gloves for him.

She only looked down and exhale, they haven’t seen each other in six years and this is the kind of conversation they have to fill in those gaps. She didn’t complain much to the situation because she imagined it’d be even worse than this. She always imagined some yelling and arguing would be involve into their conversation when they met each other again. To saw that Kyuhyun was actually really calm about the situation somehow made her felt a bit at ease.

“Well, I’ll explain the procedure.” He put on his surgical mask and took the syringe prepared by the nurse. “You probably can’t see what’s really happening down here but let me tell you, it’s bad. The big pieces are easy to take out but our concern here are the little ones that nested in between your flesh. Therefore, I will numb you and slice open each cut to make sure nothing stuck in there. When it’s all clear I’ll stich you up again and we both can continue with our own life, understand?”

Seulri nodded and her heart sank a bit to his words that pressed in the part of continue with their own life, seemed to her he was trying to be professional but being witty at the same time. She already felt breathless before just by looking at him and now she had to imagine that bloody little operation he’d about to do to her and it’s sickening.

“I’ll begin now, do you want me to count?” Kyuhyun sat back on the stool and finally braced himself to lift his eyes to look into hers.

She shook her head, for her the counting would be a personal torture.

“You can lie down now if you don’t want to see.” Kyuhyun nodded. The way he uttered the words seemed different now. It’s almost sounded like he cared about the pain she’s about to take.

The female doctor and the nurse came closer towards her and hold her right leg firmly, she was confused on the purpose of their action at first but as Kyuhyun begin to pierced her skin with the syringe in order to numb her, Seulri knew it w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter