Embrace It While It Lasts

Final Call
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

His job in the O.R probably looks like the most useless one, since several other doctors are busy moving their feet all around the critical patient to provide the neurosurgeon with every tool he needed. Cho Kyuhyun just had to sit next to her and keep talking to her, keeping her awake and somehow pumping up her spirit if that’s still possible.

It should be an easier task if he doesn’t know the patient, it’ll be strictly professional if the girl he’s trying so hard to get the attention to is not the person that he loves. Maybe if he doesn’t let his affection over her stands in between them, Kyuhyun could sit coolly while continuously report back to his sunbae about her reflexes.

But just earlier she lost movement control over her right body part and his sunbae is working hard to fix the matter as fast as he could, before it goes even further. Now the hand he’s holding begin to tremble out of control, not because she’s scared, not because she’s cold, but because the same reason she lost control over her body movement.

Kyuhyun squeeze her hand tighter, still try his best to put on a great act to tell her that she’s alright while he knows her chance now has decrease to less than fifty percent.

He bit his lips so hard to hold his tears from falling, Seulri shouldn’t see him falling apart slowly in front of her. he should make her believe in the work of miracle, a miracle he wished could happen at least once in her life.

“Seulri-ya, can you still hear me?” His voice becomes squeaky.

Seulri squeezes his hand in between her tremor.

“Good.” He runs his other hand to her cheek, caress her skin softly while ignoring the traces of dried blood that left in there. “You’re doing really good, Seulri-ya. I’m so proud of you.”

Her eyes sparkles just with his words, when’s the last time somebody said that to her?

“I know you’re the best girl I could ever get.” He kisses her hand, “You’re somebody with the purest heart I ever found and you’re the only person that ever loved me this way, I’m sorry I took you for granted.”

She squeezes his hands three times.

“I love you too Seulri-ya.” He replies. “Give me a chance to make it up to you, please.”

She blinks, she’d be very delighted to do that for him.

He smiles at her, wondering if she could survive if he pleads harder to her. she used to plead him to stick around her and he gave in to their longing of each other. It was probably the worst decision they could make at the time but looking back into that night, Kyuhyun never regret his choice. With their stupid deed, Kyuhyun and Seulri managed to buy themselves more time to be with each other, they could re-live the life they used to have and he could love her without having any hesitation.

Those times probably was the time that he considers as his dream, because it was too short yet so beautiful. But back then, he had so much to lose, there are too many things at stake in his hands and one wrong move could drag him down and away from his dream.

Tonight however, Cho Kyuhyun got a revelation.

She’s dying slowly in front of him and yet she still has some strength left in her to repeatedly tell him how much she loves him. nobody ever dedicates their life to him the way she does and only tonight he really understands the depth of her pain from his awful revenge he did a week ago.

He can’t let her go this way, not before he makes her as happy as she made him, not until she feels the kind of love she always showers unconditionally for him, not until she understands that she’s actually worth his whole world.

Because tonight, Cho Kyuhyun dares to leave out all that he owns: his reputation, his family, his career, his future, and his dreams. He would leave all those as long as he could live in the same world with the girl—and the only girl—he’d ever want to spent his life and beyond with.

 

*

 

Kang Seulri and Cho Kyuhyun probably were the best couple that managed to handle their life in denial very well. She could have positioned herself very well in the awkward status they have, she could pretend that she wasn’t affected when his girlfriend called him during their dates and she could lock herself in her house very well whenever his family come visit their children downstairs.

She had enough struggles in her life and that made Seulri be a better pretender when it came to being happy and this mindset had helped her to erase any guilt left towards Oh Jinae. Seulri believed she entitled to Kyuhyun as much as Jinae did and she let her selfishness consumed the little conscience she still has left.

While she was doing her best act to ignore his family, Kyuhyun continuously tried to explain to his parents that he wasn’t ready to get married or be involved in anything serious with Jinae. He wanted his family to respect his decision and be open minded enough to acknowledged whoever woman he chose later. His father could accept his argument but his mother still believed that Jinae was the best woman he could ever get.

As for Cho Ahra, she had to stand in between Kyuhyun and their parents. She knew very well about his affair with Seulri and somehow Ahra preferred her brother to be with the girl that he loves rather than with the perfect woman their mother kept on insisting to him. Ahra suggested Kyuhyun to just really take matter into his own hand, go to the USA and break up with Jinae and immediately officiate his relationship with Seulri—but they both know it’s easier said than done.

Immorality asides, the couple were actually living the time of their life. The world seemed to be in order again for both of them. Ever since they got back together, Kyuhyun always have a reason to rush from the hospital to go home. He knew Seulri was arranging her schedule to match his and it resulted in more time they could spend with each other. Most of the nights they just cuddle or Seulri would sat still in his place, watched the TV while Kyuhyun laid on her thigh. This was the kind of relationship they had back then, they didn’t have to go on fancy dates every weekend, she never demanded him to go see a new movie, and he also never asked her to dressed up properly for any important occasion. Spending times in the comfort of a home was always their ideal date of options

One day during winter, Cho Ahra came home with four coupon tickets she got from her professor for getting the highest score in one of her classes. She suggested the three of them and her boyfriend to go on a double date before the ticket expired. Seulri and Kyuhyun laughed to the idea, the amusement park could be a good idea but a double date sounded too ridiculous in their ear. Ahra however, managed to convinced them that she and her boyfriend would stay away from the couple, she just wanted to have fun together with her brother.

After some schedule arrangements, they finally came on an agreement to go to the amusement park a day before Christmas. It’s not the best time obviously since each of them had to visit their own parents in the same night, yet it’s the only time they have available before the coupon ran out on new year.

The last time Seulri and Kyuhyun went to an amusement park was during his farewell to the university. They were so young and naïve back then but they both knew how to have fun.

“What should we do in here?” He asked Seulri as they got themselves into the park.

Seulri studied the park map, “I want to hop on one of these thing.” She pointed a merry-go-round.

He laughed, “How old are you?”

“Just because a child in you died, doesn’t mean the same thing happen to me.” She rolled her eyes and pulled his hand to the direction she thought was right according to the map.

“Shall I hug you from behind like all the cheesy couple?” He .

“No,” She chuckled, “but you can pretend to have fun with me while we’re here.”

“I am having fun.” He took his hand away from her then rounded his arm around her shoulder, “Every second I spend with you is fun.”

“Cih, here we go again.” She laughed, “Oppa, since when you’re becoming a man with cheesy lines like this?”

“Since I knew you.” He pecked her temple. “You bring out the cheesy guy in me.”

“There’s the thing!” She ignored him and pointed to the ride she was looking for. “Do you want to come or you just want to wait on that bench?”

“I’m coming with you.” He decided.

For the next few rides he just kept on following wherever she wanted to go, she’s the queen in his life and he realized it’s been a long time since he took her out for something as fun as this. He silently agreed with her, during the time they’re busy growing up and taking responsibilities, Kyuhyun had forgotten to have fun like a kid does. He couldn’t really remember the last time he laughed freely while doing silly things the way he’s been doing it lately whenever she’s around.

To Kyuhyun, Seulri had brought back a piece of his heart that he forgotten existed, he learned to smile again, he learned to be a genuine person af

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter