Final Call

Final Call
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Kyuhyun, Ahra and Taecyeon are gathering around her bed. The hospital offered them to bring a lawyer before they’re taking the decision they’re about to make, they’ve also been trying to find Seulri’s relatives to help her case, but they couldn’t find anyone. The three of them are the only people that stand close to the title of family she has remains and it makes the three of them entitled to have the final call about her; should they prolong her life line or should they pull the plug.

A month has passed since she was in the coma and no slightest progress shown from her. This day is the day they all agree to stop living in the land of denial.

The financial adviser of the hospital already given Kyuhyun the form he must fill regarding turning off her life support, the three of them have to sign it and only Kyuhyun that hasn’t contribute anything to the paper. His hand keeps on trembling whenever he tried to sign it.

Taecyeon signed the paper after he spent a month of his life trying to find any doctor that could make a difference regarding her health, he brought her medical chart everywhere to find as many opinions he could find—and all led to one unanimous voice, that Kang Seulri is beyond help.

Ahra refused to sign the paper at first, not because she doesn’t want Seulri to be freed from her struggle, but because she’s afraid that her contribution in that paper would bring deeper regret to her brother one day. But she finally gave her signature because Kyuhyun convinced her that she should do what she know is right.

As for Kyuhyun, he knew from the beginning that this day will come eventually.

“Oppa, I know it’s really hard, but you said so yourself that this is probably the best for her.” Ahra sobs beside him, “Look at her, she’s not happy. She’s restrained here while she deserves to be in heaven right now.”

Kyuhyun shoulders trembles as he starts to cry again. He agrees with Ahra but the task he’s about to do is easier said than done. Ahra wraps her arms around her brother’s shoulders, giving him the courage he needs to sign the paper that will take Seulri away forever from his life.

“She’ll be happier right?” He sobs in between. “Heaven must be a better place for her than the cruel world she lived in, right? This is what she wants, right?”

“Kyuhyun-ssi, do you need some time alone with her?” Taecyeon offers. Even though he tried to look strong today, he’s secretly dying inside. To Taecyeon, Seulri is a person that opened his eyes for the thing such as affection, love and heartache—and Seulri managed to make her way into his heart by being a girl with such innocent view on life no matter how life never been so kind to her. He knew Seulri despised him at first for taking what she sacredly keep for Kyuhyun, but they made their friendship along the way and he would never thought a simple one-night-stand could led up to this massive heartache.

Kyuhyun lifts his hands to cover his face but nods. “I think I need more time.”

Taecyeon looks at Ahra and they both quietly heads out from the room, to give both Seulri and Kyuhyun more privacy.

“Wait,” Kyuhyun says, he quickly take the pen from his pocket and sign the form he’s been postponing to sign. “If I don’t do it now, I don’t think I’d ever be able to do it.” He hands the form to Taeyeon.

Taecyeon takes the paper from his hand, “This is it, isn’t it?” He starts to sob again. He was able to keep his cool earlier, but holding the paper that the three of them signed in his hand only tells him that losing her would become really real in just a moment.

Kyuhyun nods. “Give that to the nurse out front, she’ll know what to do. I’ll be here with her.”

Taecyeon heads out from the room but Kyuhyun holds the door before he really closed it, “Taecyeon-ssi, don’t you want to say anything to her?”

Taecyeon shakes his head, “I’m not good with goodbyes. I’m afraid I’ll tear this paper into pieces if I stay here longer.”

Kyuhyun looks at Ahra and she only shakes her head, “Oppa, take your time, ne? If you need me, I’ll be right outside.”

He nods and closes the door before him. He takes his wobbly steps towards Seulri that’s still sleeping peacefully and as usual he takes his place next to her only this time he’s sitting across her, making it easier for him to look into her serene face.

“Seul, I don’t know if this is what you want.” He starts to sob again, “But I can’t see you suffering like this longer.”

He sniffs his nose and wipes his tears roughly with his hand, he takes the book on the table next to him to read something that has been bothering him for a while now.

Kyuhyun clears his throat and reads the last poem that she marked for him in the last book she gave him, the short message that almost seems like her will,

“Do you know what it is like, to lie in bed awake; with the thoughts to haunt you every night, of all your past mistakes?

Knowing sleep will set it right—if you were not to wake.

-Lang Leav, Love & Misadventure.”

 

Kyuhyun has stopped bargaining with himself, although Seulri is a strong woman, he knew that the impact she experienced from the accident were too hard. Maybe if she waited for another night for him to drive her, maybe if she wasn’t being so stubborn, maybe if he surrender his conscience and just do what she plead, maybe if she’s taken care of immediately after the impact, maybe.

He had enough of what ifs, he would forever remember this day as the day where a person thought him a very important lesson of regret.  

“Seul, I have read all the poems here and it seems that I should give one for you.” He choked in his words, “At least you should also know my heart and I want to believe that you can hear me, I want to believe that I still have that luxury to be heard by you—and I hope it this may set it right for us.”

He takes the first book out of the three titled ‘Lullabies’, flips the pages from the book and opens the page he marked himself and begins to read it for her.

 

“I want you to be happy. I want someone else to know the warmth of you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter