When You Wish to Turn Back Time

Final Call
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The nurses are taking over the doctor’s job, they now cleaning the remaining traces of blood in that’s left on her porcelain skin. The operation is done, the neurosurgeon and the rest of the doctors had tried everything they know and everything they could to help her, and all they can do now is wait.

Kyuhyun is the only doctor left in the O.R, he’s trying his best to keep it all together but his tears keep on falling down seeing the state she’s in. Kang Seulri doesn’t look like somebody that’s encountering any pain at all, only the absence of color on her lips that tells him about her being unwell, to him she looks like she’s having a very peaceful sleep.

Maybe that’s true.

Maybe she’s tired with everything that happened to her lately—or throughout her life, maybe Seulri really needs to take her peaceful sleep, this might be what she deserves after her ongoing battle in her life.

“May I do that for her?” Kyuhyun approaches the nurse and offers his hand to take the sponge in her hand.

“Ne?” She looks surprised.

Kyuhyun nods slowly and takes the sponge from her hand without waiting for her confirmation. “I want to do this for her, please, this person is very important to me.”

The nurse gives out the sponge in her hand and the other nurse that holds a patient dress also put down the hospital outfit she prepared for Seulri and they both nod before they leave the room for Kyuhyun and Seulri alone.

Kyuhyun dip in the sponge into the warm water bath, squeeze off the excess water then he gently dabs the moist sponge on her. Begins from her forehead, tries to avoid her gauze to get wet and slowly make his way down towards her eyes. He cleaned up the traces of her tears that still shown clearly on her cheek and he carefully makes his way around , erasing all the dried blood she kept on vomiting all night.

His hand is trembling badly the whole time he tries to clean her up, Kyuhyun does his best effort not to shed more tears but the more he pays attention to every inch of her feature, the more he feels like Seulri is currently punishing him by being in a coma.

He dips the sponge again to wipe off some of the tarmac dirt that still remains near her shoulder, he lifts her arms while making his way down to her palm that’s also covered in dried blood. Kyuhyun rounds the gurney to make sure he cleans every part of her and when he thought it couldn’t get any worse, he noticed something that she wears on her left ring finger.

Still covered in blood, Kyuhyun saw the little silver ring that formed into an infinity symbol.

It’s the ring he bought for her on her birthday, it’s supposed to be the ring he used to propose to her, a ring that he tossed into the trash right after he figured out her mishaps. Kyuhyun feels like someone is choking him as he starts to gasping for air to get rid of the stuffy sensation he feels inside his chest, he feels like Seulri is now grabbing his heart and squeeze it hard with her own hand just by the look on that ring.

Did she picked it up without him knowing? Why he never noticed it before?

The rush of self-blame and regrets attack him one more time. He gives up to his own emotion and finally lost his own strength as he gradually falls into his knees while crying helplessly.

“Mianhae Seulri-ya!” He stutters in between his cries. “Oh my God, I’m so cruel to you, I'm a real jerk to you aren’t I? I’m sorry. I’m sorry.”

He takes his time to mourn, pats his chest roughly to get rid of the pain he feels inside. He remembers what she just said moments ago, that she loves him more that he loves her and he knows it’s right.

Kang Seulri is the kind of person that gives her all into their relationship, she was the one that loved him unconditionally even after he torn her apart like that, while Kyuhyun was the person that always took a lot of consideration and judgement in their relationship.

Looking back now, Kyuhyun could imagine what kind of burden she had to encounter when they were having their affair, he tries to put himself in her shoes and he imagine what kind of fear that must have haunt her the whole time from hiding the truth from him. He knew that Seulri must have her own reason, it’s still wrong what she did, but Kyuhyun should at least listen to her when she tried to explain herself instead of shut her out completely from his life—and continuously hurt her on purpose.

 

*

 

Ever since Kyuhyun figured out what kind of person she had become, he shut her out of his life completely. In the first few weeks Seulri still try to get in touch with him, forcing her way to make him listen to her reasons if that’s still possible.

But his reaction had slowly shrunken her courage.

At first he just ignored her, Kyuhyun just passed through her as if she’s a ghost when she clearly waited in front of his door. The next stage of his rejection shown by him taken a lot of shifts and he insisted to use the on-call room in the hospital to sleep in so he didn’t have to return home to face her. Last week, Oh Jinae had return from her study and Kyuhyun made it clear to Seulri that she should stop trying to approach him by bringing Jinae to his home whenever he got a chance. This morning Seulri got a news from Ahra that they both will move out from the building next month, when Seulri asked the reason why Ahra only lifted her shoulders with very apologetic look to Seulri. Ahra also told her that Kyuhyun now planned to get the same kind of research scholarship like Jinae did, so he could get himself far away from Seoul—and Seulri.

A month.

That’s the amount of time Seulri had to get her message heard by him. She knew this day will come, she even promised herself that she’d back-down slowly once Jinae returned. But in her plan, Seulri got to say her goodbye to him, in her plan she got a chance to explained herself and in her plan it supposed to be her that slowly vanish from his life, not the other way around.

Seulri lifted the last chair in the restaurant before she mopped the rest of the floor that night. She dragged herself around the restaurant as she cleaned up, tried to make herself as tired as possible so she could go home and fall asleep right away without having to think about him and what could’ve been. She’s done her work by ten but she only walked back to her home past midnight, she figured it’s the best time since she wouldn’t be able to bump into Kyuhyun by that hour so it’d be less awkward for them.

When she got into their building, she noticed his car was not in the drive way. Seemed like he’s been doing his best effort to avoid her too these days. Seulri was all worn out from the literal hard work she did so she didn’t bother to clean herself or anything once she got into her home.

She was about to crawl under her blanket when she got a call, it’s past midnight so it’d be an emergency call. Her heart sank once she saw Park Sora name displayed on the screen.

“Ne Sora-ssi? is everything okay?” She responded fast.

“Oenni, is it possible for you to get here?” Her voice sounded calm but there’s certain urgency in her tone.

“Is everything okay?” She came into alert.

“Everything is fine, but aboji wants to see you now.”

“What?” She stood up from her bed and began to walk around in circle.

“Aboji, he remembers you out of the sudden. I was just helping him to get into the bathroom and he asked who am I and where’s Kang Seulri.”

Seulri startled a little bit, “Did you say he really ask for me? As in he didn’t recognize you as me?”

“Ne.”

She covered with her hand and quickly grabbed her purse, “Sora-ssi, I’ll be on my way now. Keep him alert okay? I’m afraid he’ll space out again if he sleeps. Please?”

“I’ll try my best, hurry get yourself here oenni.”

Seulri ran out of her door, climbed down the stairs and continued to ran towards the main street. It’d be difficult for her to find a taxi around this hour in the neighborhood but she could always try her luck.

“Tell me more Sora-ssi, tell me more about him, please.” Seulri kept talking on the phone while she’s taking a turn in the intersection, not paying attention to the road ahead of her.

“He’s now digging into the old boxes contained your photographs. This is really weird oenni, I’m amazed myself—“

“Who are you talking to?” Seulri could hear her father’s voice from the phone.

Sora seemed to paused for a while before she told him that she’s speaking with his daughter.

“Oenni, aboji wanted to talk to you.”

“Sure, put him on the phone.” Seulri took a turn and her steps stopped from the bright light that attack her cornea. A car was coming towards her and she was too busy listening to the voice in her phone than her surroundings.

The car brake at the right time, it stopped right near her knees and didn’t cause any harm to her but it shocked both the driver and Seulri herself.

Seulri bowed deeply towards the driver while she pressed her phone closer to her ear, ignoring the driver that’s now coming out of the car.

“Seulri-ya, why aren’t you home yet?” She heard the voice of her father from the phone.

“Are you okay?” Cho Kyuhyun got out from his car, with his eyes wide open trying to hide his worry over his-almost-victim.

Seulri bowed to him, she was too overwhelmed hearing her father calling out for her that she ignored Kyuhyun in front of her.

“Appa, I’ll be home soon, ne?” She took a step back from his car but she lost her balance and fell on the tarmac.

“Seul? Did I hit you somewhere?” He asked her again, convinced himself that he did it only to try to be responsible if he really hit her.

Seulri lifted her face to look at him, “I’m okay.”

“Seulri-ya, can you grab me some bread on your way here? I want that banana bread you usually to get me.” Her father continued to talk to her.

She grinned widely, “Ne appa, I’ll find the bread for you. Now I’ll find a taxi and I’ll be there soon, arraseo? But you have to stay awake, ne? I’ll be angry if I come home and find you already asleep.” She negotiated.

“I will wait for you, my baby.”

“I’ll hang up now.” She put her phone away then help herself to get up.

Only then she recognized that the man in front of her was actually Kyuhyun. Seulri widened her eyes, felt slightly scared that she made another trouble with him yet at the same time relieved because she could get a glimpse of him.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t see where I was going.” Seulri bowed deeply to him, “I’ll take my leave then.”

She was taking some steps when Ahra called her name from the inside of the car. “Oenni, where are you going this time of the night?”

“Home. Appa needs me.” She waived a little to his sister and continued walking fast.

Cho Ahra stepped out from the car and caught her arms quickly, “It’s late, you won’t be able to find a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter