Growing Up

Final Call
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Pict belongs to Byun Jeongha

 

Her body jolting from the massive pain that pierces through the side of her chest. She once again awakens from her daydream to see herself is back under the bright light of the Emergency Room she’s in.

“36 French tube successfully inserted.” She hears a female voice near her.

“Seulri-ya, look at me, Just look at me! Please. I know it’s very painful and I know that sleeping is a better option for you, but you have to keep opening your eyes, ne?” Kyuhyun’s voice is back in her head.

Seuri glances to her right and finds her comfort stands beside her still.

Oppa, I’m scared. What are these people doing to me? She tries to scream out but only random whimpers come out of her.

“She’s still hypotensive and tachycardic. Up to fluid boluses, she could be bleeding in her chest!” The female doctor speaks up again.

Kyuhyun takes his gaze away from Seulri to look into her physical condition. The French tube that’s inserted into the side of her chest now drowning so much blood from the place where there shouldn’t be any blood clotting. The bruises on her tummy begin to look worrisome and no one is taking care of the bleeding in her head just yet.

“Hang two units of blood on the infuser!” The old doctor gives his command. “She’s loosing too much blood already and somebody page the neurosurgeon like right now!”

“Done that, doctor. He’s taking his leave to Jeongson for a week.” The female doctor replies.

“WHAT?! PAGE SOMEONE ELSE!” He shouts! “You! You said you’re a surgeon.” He points to Kyuhyun, “Scrub in and help us, we’re short on emergency staff tonight! It’s only 3 days after sambok for God’s sake.”

Kyuhyun nods and quickly approach a nurse that’s now preparing some gloves and surgical head scarf for him. His expertise is not defined yet, because he’s not yet a residence in the hospital where he’s working and he needs more hours to be completed before he could take a specialty, but he’s trained well to perform under pressure.

“Give me the trauma panel and x-ray!” The old doctor shouts again.

Kyuhyun returns to her side and quickly grabs her hand that’s still restrain to the bed frame. Seulri is crying still and he knows why. She’s scared and she must be in shock, but moreover, He knows that she still hurt from their last fight tonight.

“New guy, what’s your name?” The male doctor asks in pressing manner.

“Kyuhyun, doctor.”

“Are you specialized in anything?”

“Not yet, but most of the surgery I follow were cardiologist.” He answers quickly.

“Can you help us, we’re outnumbered here. Please page a neurologist from your hospital, her head trauma should be checked and this hospital cannot provide that for now.” He looks at Kyuhyun in the eyes, really pleading for a way out for his helpless patient that’s continuously getting worse.

“I will.” Kyuhyun nods and about to take his step away from her gurney.

Seulri tightens her grab on his hand and makes him turn around to look at her. Oppa, don’t go. I’m scared, what if I don’t make it and you’re not beside me when it happens. She pleads with her eyes, hoping Kyuhyun can at least understand her fear at the moment.

“Seulri-ya, I have to step outside for a minute. Just one minute and I’ll be right back. I promise I won’t leave you alone.” He whispers to her. “I need to call my senior so he can come here and help you, okay?”

She blinks one more time.

“While I page him, you have to keep those beautiful eyes of yours open, ne?” He tries to hold back his tears and look strong for her. “I won’t be long, I’ll be back for you in a tick.”

Seulri releases his has from her grip and allows him to step aside a little while to do what he needs to do.

The last thing she sees is a bag of another red solution being hanging near her head, then she fall back into her sleep. Another piece of memories return to her, as she let go of his hand she suddenly pulls back into the fragments of the moment of their first obstacle in their relationship.

 

 

*

 

Cho Kyuhyun is excited, after his continuous hard work and many night lessons he took to pursue his dream of becoming a surgeon, he finally received his letter of acceptance from one of the best medical university in Seoul. He’s now busy packing up his clothes and some stuffs to bring to his dorm in the campus and it makes his girlfriend restless.

Kang Seulri sits on his bed in the corner of his room, watching her boyfriend carefully picking and dividing his stuffs to bring to his new campus. To her, it’s quite odd knowing he has to move to a dorm, since they are living in Seoul also. But Kyuhyun explained to her that the campus is actually in the other side of the city and it’ll take a lot of time to commute if he stays in his parents’ house and it’ll make it harder for him to catch his morning classes. Another reason is also because he wants to try the thrill of not living under the same roof as his parents, he wants to try to become more independent at some point.

“Oppa, you’re only moving to a dorm, why you put all these stuff into the box?” She pouts , “I don’t like it, you’re packing up your whole room!”

He puts the books in his hand into one of the box labeled ‘books’ before he takes a seat next to her. Kyuhyun runs his hand to caress her hair, trying to give another explanation to her.

“I’ll need most of the stuff here, Seulri-ya. If I have to come back and forth from here to Sungkyungkwan it’ll be too much.”

She draws a long breath, “So that means you won’t come home too often. That also means that we won’t see each other too often.”

“I’m sure you know that we can’t see each other every day, the way we do now, but hey! there’s always weekend and I will always return here for you.” He pinches her cheek, “I will. Because I know I’m going to miss you a lot.”’

“If that’s true, then you should leave some important stuff here, therefore you always have a reason to come back.” She takes the pillow next to her and hugs it.

“You are my important thing that I leave here.” He tries to joke around with her but Seulri only rolls her eyes, unimpressed with his sweet words.

He looks closely into her, noticing the sadness in her eyes are genuine and he thinks he understands why it’s so hard for her. Cho Kyuhyun has become her shoulder to cry on, he’s the one where she’s throwing all of her troubles into and she has become accustomed of having him around.

“Seulri-ya, I’ll show you where I live later.” He encloses her into his chest, “If troubles arise at home, you can always knock on my door. In fact, it’ll be much easier for us because there won’t be any curfew from my parents” he chuckles.

“What if you get too busy?” She sinks her face deeper on his shoulder, “I heard from Hyeri, her boyfriend is in college last year and she said the freshmen’s assignment made him forgotten about her and the longer he’s in the college, the further their relationship has become.”

“That’s her relationship, not ours. We’re different from them, tell me, are you worried about us?”

She nods, “I don’t want to lose you, oppa.”

“I’m not going anywhere.” Kyuhyun pushes her away a little bit to take a good look of her face. “I will always be there for you and I’ll always be your faithful boyfriend. Hey, I have the sweetest, kindness and most beautiful girl as my girlfriend, there’s no way I’d trade that for anything.”

“Bull.” She scoffs.

“Seriously.” He cups his hand on her face. “You’re my fortune and I’m not going to let you go.”

She takes a deep look into his eyes, trying to find a reason—just a tiny reason—for her to doubt him, but the man in front of her is being sincere with his words.

“I love you, Seulri-ya.” He adds. “I know our love is young and some adults would probably laugh when they hear a clueless high school student saying that, but I love you.”

A smile paints on her face; he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter