Chapter 9

Overcome [A NU'EST Fanfic]

Midnight came around and Ren woke Baekho up. Ren got his pack ready and put it on. Baekho was ready immediately, but he threw Ren his pack. Baekhyun stood, ready to go. They went downstairs and paid for the two nights before sitting and waiting on Kyungsoo.

"I'm going to change once we're within their territory," said Baekho as Ren gave him a questioning look. "We don't have much time, and if it comes down to a fight I want to be prepared," said Baekho. "You sure you want to change?" Asked Ren. "I don't have my knives anymore," grumbled Baekho. "I have no choice," he said. Ren nodded.

Kyungsoo showed up, and nodded to them. Ren stood, Baekhyun going to his side. Baekho nodded to Kyungsoo as he stood. "Let's go," said Kyungsoo before he led them out.

They quickly ran through the darkness, going towards the werewolf territory. "They aren't stupid enough to kill him like this, but if they feel threatened they will do it," said Kyungsoo as he stopped by a bush. Baekho nodded. "Should I change now?" He asked. Kyungsoo nodded. "We'll need you if we need someone to carry Minhyun out," he said. Baekho nodded and went to change.

Ren cringed when he heard the soft cries in pain coming from the direction Baekho went off to. Kyungsoo sighed. "It takes some getting used to," he said. "Jongin changing was a lot worse," he said. "What could Jongin change into?" Asked Ren. "A wolf, I think," said Kyungsoo. "Yixing told us, but I've never seen Jongin change," he said. Ren nodded.

Baekho made his way over, stretching. "A leopard? Huh," mumbled Kyungsoo. "Good, you can get in and out quick," he said. Baekho made a low growl in response. "Alright let's go," said Kyungsoo. They entered the territory, Baekhyun scouting a couple feet ahead.

"There," said Kyungsoo, as they stopped just outside a clearing. They saw Minhyun tied to a tree, his sword out of reach. "This could go two ways," mumbled Kyungsoo. "We get him and get out, or we get him, they find us and one of us gets killed," he said. "We gotta be quick," mumbled Ren. "Go around," said Kyungsoo, turning to Baekho. "See if you can slice the ropes off with your claws," he said. Baekho nodded and snuck around the clearing, cutting the ropes off with a swipe of his paw.

Minhyun stirred, and looked around. He spotted Baekho and groaned. "You shouldn't have come, it's a trap," he said, struggling to stand. "So they decided to come," said an unfamiliar voice as Yongguk stepped into the clearing. "Crap," grumbled Kyungsoo. "Get them!" Said Yongguk as wolves surrounded Kyungsoo, Baekhyun, and Ren. Baekho hissed at the wolves that had surrounded him, swiping at them with his claws to make them stay back.

Ren summoned his orb, wondering what spells he knew. "It's not enough," mumbled Kyungsoo. "I need a distraction," said Ren. "That I can do," said Kyungsoo. Baekhyun suddenly darted out of the circle of wolves, causing them to chase after them. "No Baekhyun!" Yelled Ren. "Baekho grab Minhyun!" Said Kyungsoo. "I got their leader," said Kyungsoo, as he went to attack Yongguk. Ren sent fire balls towards the remaining wolves, trying to distract them while Baekho grabbed Minhyun, putting him on his back and just booked it out of there. Ren went to grab the sword, cutting down the remaining wolves.

Ren heard a howl in pain and looked panicked, before booking towards the sound, not worrying too much about Kyungsoo. "Baekhyun!" He shouted, going to the wolves. "Get away from him!" He shouted, suddenly feeling the heat at his fingertips again. The orb glowed brightly and Ren felt it, as he released the flames. He gathered the wolves up in a flaming tornado before sending them flying. He suddenly felt ice at his fingertips and didn't hesitate. He slammed his hand into the ground and sent ice spears through the wolves as they landed.

When it was done, he ran over to Baekhyun. Baekhyun whimpered as he laid there, bleeding out. "No, please don't leave me!" Said Ren as he tried to heal Baekhyun. Sadly he knew no healing spells because Yixing killed himself before he could learn anything. "Please," Ren sobbed, as he felt the life leave Baekhyun's body. "I'm sorry I couldn't get here sooner, please," he said, holding Baekhyun in his lap. He heard one last whimper before Baekhyun went still. Ren held Baekhyun's body close as he sobbed, wishing this never happened.

Kyungsoo made his way over to Ren, his expression unreadable. "I'm sorry Ren," he mumbled, letting Ren grieve. "It's alright," mumbled Ren after a minute. Baekho made his way over to them with Minhyun on his back still. Baekho whimpered some when he saw Baekhyun, and Minhyun fought back tears. They were all close to Baekhyun, even if he was Aron's hunting companion.

After a bit Kyungsoo used a spell to make a hole in the ground for Baekhyun and Ren put Baekhyun to rest, and moved back as Kyungsoo recovered the hole. "I guess I'll see you in my dreams now," mumbled Ren as he patted the spot.

Kyungsoo had grabbed Minhyun's sword and after a minute they walked back to the town, Minhyun getting off of Baekho's back so Baekho could change and return to town in human form. Ren and Kyungsoo helped Minhyun back to the inn and Ren paid for another two nights before heading up to their room. Baekho joined them and Minhyun went to rest in Ren's bed. "I'll be around," said Kyungsoo as he put Minhyun's sword against the wall before leaving the room. "I'm sorry Ren," mumbled Minhyun. "It's alright," mumbled Ren, as he sat down on the floor. Baekho sighed and sat on his bed.

They needed a break, so they decided to rest for a while, and let Minhyun heal up.