Chapter 13

Overcome [A NU'EST Fanfic]

Things were quiet, a little too quiet for Ren's taste. He eyed the snowstorm outside to see if he could sense anything. It was whiteout conditions, and even with the fire place it was still freezing in the building. He checked the time on his pocketwatch before leaning against Suho, sighing a little.

Aron appeared, tilting his head. "What's up?" He asked. "It's too quiet," mumbled Ren, looking around. "That and it's freezing, even with the fire," he said. "Mm," mumbled Aron. "So, tell me how JR took the news of yours and Baekhyun's deaths," said Ren. "He didn't take it well," said Aron. "I mean, he literally just destroyed half a wall before he calmed down," he said. "Jeez," said Ren. "He was especially pissed that Baekhyun was killed, though he knew you tried your best to save him," said Aron. "He doesn't blame you, so don't worry," he said. Ren nodded and let out a sigh.

~

JR was sitting in his room at the capitol, taking a break. Things were okay at the capitol, and he hadn't really heard anything from Ren since he left. He wasn't really needed to do anything, but he knew if he was needed they would call on him. He was supposed to be the leader after all. He sighed and got up, going out of the room and leaving the apartment. He went to check the mail to see if he got any letters from Ren. He checked the post office and saw a envelope addressed to him.

JR looked at it before tearing it open, unfolding the letter and seeing the familiar messy handwriting that belonged to Ren. He started reading it, wondering what the news was.

JR,

I hope this letter reaches you soon, I found Minhyun and Baekho. Did you know that Kyungsoo is alive? He helped Baekho and I rescue Minhyun from a pack of werewolves.

If you're wondering what happened to Aron, he was killed. I'm sorry, Baekho was there when Aron was killed, he sacrificed himself for Baekho and Baekhyun to get away. A pack of wolves had found them, and I wonder if they were being controlled by someone, it seemed odd that they specifically targeted Aron and Baekho.

That's not even the worst of news, I found Baekhyun with Baekho and we headed into a nearby town to rest a couple days. Kyungsoo got us to go rescue Minhyun and we did. We tried to get out of there without someone getting killed but they got Baekhyun. God they got to him... I killed the wolves but Baekhyun died in my arms, I'm sorry... I'm really REALLY sorry...

-Ren

Dried tear stains littered the bottom of the page and JR clutched the paper. "Damn them," grumbled JR, as he left the post office. He went into the training room by the palace and grabbed every weapon possible before proceeding to destroy a wall. "Damn it!" He yelled as he continued destroying the wall. "I should've gone with Ren, I would've been able to do something," he grumbled as he slumped to the floor sobbing, half the wall destroyed.

~

Ren sighed and got up. "It's time for Minhyun to keep watch," he said. Aron nodded and disappeared, back to the spirit realm. Ren went to wake up Minhyun, who woke up immediately. "Is it my turn to keep watch?" Asked Minhyun. "Yeah, don't forget to wake Baekho up when it's his turn," said Ren. Minhyun nodded and Ren went back to sleep, curling up against Suho, who shifted slightly but went back to sleep.

Ren appeared in his dream world almost immediately, with Chanyeol leaning against a tree with Chen curled up beside him. "Hey uncle," said Ren. Chanyeol cracked a smile before turning and seeing Luhan appear with Xiumin. "You're correct on your theory of something being off," said Luhan. "Xiumin made the snow storm happen, but you may get a visit from a familiar enemy soon," he said. "Who?" Asked Ren. "Don't worry about it for now," said Luhan. "We threw them off your trail for now, but when you reach the next town be prepared for a fight," he said. Ren nodded.

"Where's Kris?" He asked. "Resting, he's preparing for the big fight," said Luhan. "Do you think we'll be able to rescue the queen?" Asked Ren. "I do, we all do," said Chanyeol. "You may need to ride into battle on this one," said Luhan. "Wait, ride on Suho's back?" Asked Ren. "You and Kyungsoo, then Minhyun on Baekho's back," said Luhan. "I know you have your bow but I think it'll be easier for the 4 of you," he said. Ren nodded.

He saw the dream world around him started to fade and sighed. "Another morning it looks like," he said. Luhan nodded. "It should be clear for you to head out now, don't do anything until you're confronted, they've been thrown off your trail for now," he said. Ren nodded and watched as everything around him faded to black.

Ren sat up with a start, looking around. "We're waiting on you," said Baekho, who was already packed. Kyungsoo and Minhyun were preparing breakfast so Ren got up. He packed up and they had breakfast. They soon left the building, the orb leading them to their next destination.