Chapter 4

Overcome [A NU'EST Fanfic]

They found themselves surrounded by wolves, Baekhyun snarling at them, trying to get them to back off. Ren knew these weren't ordinary wolves, they were very intelligent. Baekho had reached for the knife strapped to his belt while Aron grabbed his bow and an arrow.

"Well this is a predicament," mumbled Aron as he kept his bow drawn and ready to fire. "These the wolves that attacked you yesterday?" He asked Baekho. "Yep, I see the wound on the one that attacked me," said Baekho. "How fast can you change?" Asked Ren, as he backed up. Baekho and Aron backed up and they were soon in a triangle, keeping each other's backs. Baekhyun kept beside Aron, growling with his teeth bared. "Not fast enough," mumbled Baekho. "Can you keep them distracted for like 5 seconds?" Asked Ren. "Yeah," said Aron. Baekho nodded. "I need to call upon Kris," mumbled Ren as he got his orb to float in front of him.

The first wolf attacked, with Baekhyun quickly driving them away. Aron shot a couple arrows at the next wolf, wounding it. Baekho slashed at a few other wolves, trying his best to not reopen the wound on his side. Ren crouched down, calling upon the great dragon Kris's power. He felt the heat flow through his fingertips as fire shot up from the ground under the wolves, sending them flying. Aron quickly shot the remaining wolves, making sure they were dead. He grabbed the arrows from the bodies and turned around just in time to see Ren collapse. "Ren!" Said Aron as Baekhyun caught Ren. Baekho picked up Ren, slinging an arm around his shoulder before turning to Aron. "You got a safe spot?" He asked. Aron nodded and walked ahead, with Baekhyun walking a couple feet ahead to scout.

They soon came upon a small cave, where Aron had been hiding out for the passed couple days. Baekho put Ren down on a bedroll that Aron had put down. Aron quickly got a small fire going and put up some traps at the cave entrance. "He's just exhausted," mumbled Aron. "He hasn't been out here as long as we both have," said Baekho. "Don't treat him like a kid anymore Baekho," said Aron. "He's proven himself time and time again that he can handle things," he said.

Ren was standing in a field with his orb floating behind him. "Where am I?" He asked, looking around. "You called upon my power, this is just where you go when you're resting," said a new voice as Kris appeared in his human form.  "Do not worry though, your friends are watching over you," he said. Ren nodded and sat down. "Is this your realm?" He asked. Kris shook his head. "I believe this is a dream realm, but some of your old friends have been meaning to speak to you," he said.

Ren tilted his head in question before a new voice spoke. "Looks like Ren decided to join us," said Luhan as he appeared with his god, Xiumin, who was also in human form. "Luhan!" Said Ren as he stood, turning and bowing at his teacher. He straightened up and looked in awe at Xiumin. Luhan managed a smile. "This is the god that was in my orb," he said, introducing the two. Xiumin smiled. "I finally get to meet my human's student," he said.

"How is Jongin? And Yixing?" Asked Ren, as he turned to Luhan. "Fine, they wanted to see you, but I advised against it, I can still see the guilt in your heart," said Luhan. "I feel like it was my fault that Jongin and Yixing were killed," mumbled Ren. "They don't blame you," said Luhan. "You were new at this, and Jongin decided to become a training dummy for you," he said. "Though how you managed with fire is beyond me," he said. "Must be from your uncle Chanyeol," he said. "Kris, was your last human Chanyeol?" Asked Ren. Kris nodded. "A funny guy, though he was more lightening based according to Chen," he said. "I just helped out Chen a bit, then you chose me," he said.

Ren nodded and could see the dream world fading. "It's time to go already?" He said, looking sad. "Do not worry, we're always here, if you need any of our help, just call upon your orb," said Luhan. Ren nodded and everything around him went black.

Ren jolted awake, and sat up, looking alarmed for a second. He quickly composed his expression and looked around. He was alone, and wondered where Baekho and Aron wondered off to. He checked his pack for any sign of stolen items and found that nothing was missing. "Aron? Baekho?" He called out, wondering how long he had been asleep. He stood, and went to the entrance to the cave, his orb summoned.

The orb floated behind him, which meant that whatever happened to his friends the trail was cold. Ren sighed and went to grab his pack. He noted that Aron left his bedroll, so he packed that up and put it in his pack. "Wonder where those two went off to," he mumbled as he left the cave. He wandered around, going towards the exit of the forest. "They couldn't be figments of my imagination, Baekhyun was there," he mumbled.

He reached the exit, and looked at the path before him. "Were they real?" He asked his orb, since he hadn't seen any trace of his friends. He knew that he wouldn't get a response, but he walked forward. He let the orb guide him, as it floated forward, going at a steady pace. He glanced back, realizing that when he left the cave there had only been one set of footprints. "I guess they weren't real," he mumbled. He continued walking, seeing the orb bring him to an abandoned house.

Ren checked around the house to make sure it was really abandoned before deciding to take shelter there for the night. He found a small wood stove and got a fire going inside it. He got dinner on the stove and set up a bedroll for the night. He ate dinner before flaring the fire up again to make sure it'd last most of the night. Ren put up barriers around the house in case someone would come to rob him before he went to sleep.