Epilogue

Overcome [A NU'EST Fanfic]

10 years after the queen had been rescued, the kingdom of Nu'est is finally back to being a beautiful kingdom. Ren and the others were ready to start training the next guard, but they had to choose carefully. The queen trusted them, but there was some hesitation there.

Ren had, in the years married a girl from his hometown and they had a son, who they named Sehun. Sehun was 6 now, and was already as prideful as Ren was in his earlier years as a member of the queen's guard.

"Daddy!" Sehun said, running up to Ren. Ren turned to his son, his head tilting to the side. "What's up kiddo?" He asked. "I found a puppy," said Sehun. "I want to keep him!" He said. Ren leaned down to his son's level. "Where is this puppy?" He asked. "Over here! Follow me," said Sehun as he ran to where he found the puppy. Ren followed after him and had a sudden flashback.

"Uncle! There's a boy here!" A 6 year old Ren said pulling Chanyeol over to the alleyway where he found Aron. "Are you okay?" Chanyeol asked the boy. Aron was skinny, and hurt. Chanyeol took him in, and Ren became his best friend.

Ren smiled, remembering the memory. He found Sehun next to the puppy and Ren leaned down to look at the puppy. "We'll take him home," Ren said, smiling when Sehun's face lit up in joy. "Yay! I'm going to name him Aron!" said Sehun. Ren froze, remembering a dream he had the night before.

"I'm moving on Ren," Aron said, as he leaned against a tree. "You'll see me again, but I won't be the same," he said. Ren nodded. "I hope you'll be there when the new guard is appointed," he said. Aron smiled. "I will, don't worry," he said. "Baekhyun will be there too, but he's already moved on," he said. Ren nodded. "You'll meet the both of us in the next couple days," Aron said before he disappeared from the dream world for good.

"Why Aron?" Ren asked, after a minute of shock. "He looks like an Aron," said Sehun. Ren managed a sad smile before nodding. "Let's take him home," he said. Sehun picked up the puppy and Ren walked with him home.

Yezi, Ren's wife, was in the kitchen when Ren and Sehun came home. "Momma!" said Sehun as he ran into the kitchen. "I found a puppy!" He said to her. "A puppy?" Asked Yezi as she turned to Sehun. "Daddy said I could keep him," said Sehun. Ren came into the kitchen and Yezi turned to him, with an eyebrow raised. "It's Aron," was all Ren said, as he shrugged. Yezi smiled and nodded. "Take good care of the puppy alright?" She asked Sehun. Sehun nodded. "I will mommy!" He said.

"I was on my way back to the palace," Ren said, as he ruffled Sehun's hair. "We're choosing 5 people to start training to become the next guard," he said. Yezi nodded. "Go ahead, I know how important this is to you," she said. Ren smiled and left the house, heading towards the palace.

~

JR had, in the years that followed became closer to Baekho. He kept his feelings hidden, since Baekho was still training under Suho. JR was happy for Ren, and even babysat little Sehun a couple times so that Yezi and Ren could just have a night to themselves.

JR went to meet up with Baekho and Suho, who were in the training grounds practicing with Baekho's shifting. Baekho turned to JR and smiled. "Hey JR," he said, going to grab his discarded shirt. He strapped his knives to his belt and Suho walked over to them after putting a shirt on.

"Ready to go find the next guard to train?" Baekho asked, his head tilting to the side. "Yeah," said JR. Suho smiled some. "I'll meet you there, gotta go pick up a new pup from school," he said. "What's his name?" Asked JR. "Baekhyun, I found him on my travels, he stays here with me now," said Suho. JR and Baekho exchange glances before nodding. They smiled and left, going to the palace.

Suho went to go pick up Baekhyun from school.

~

Minhyun had, in the years that followed become a teacher. When he wasn't doing guard things he taught at one of the many schools in the capitol. School was just let out for the day and Minhyun stayed with Baekhyun until Suho came to get him. "Suho's coming soon, alright?" Minhyun asked, as Baekhyun waited patiently.

"It's almost time for us to start training the new guard, we'll be busy," he said. Baekhyun nodded. "Are you going to stop teaching?" He asked, looking up at Minhyun. Minhyun nodded. "For a brief amount of time, may spend summer vacation training the next guard," he said. Baekhyun nodded.

Suho walked over to them, and Baekhyun's face lit up immediately. "Hey pup," Suho said, smiling. "They're waiting on you," he said to Minhyun. Minhyun nodded. "I was waiting on you," he said. "I'll see you at the training grounds later?" He asked. Suho nodded. "I gotta babysit Sehun tonight, and I thought I'd bring them over to the training grounds 'til first day of training is over," he said. Minhyun nodded. "Hey, Sehun gets to see his dad in action at least," he said, chuckling.

"I'll see you later?" Asked Minhyun. Suho nodded and took Baekhyun home. Minhyun headed towards the palace.

~

Ren was the first to arrive at the palace training grounds. He eyed the trainees, his head tilting to the side as he looked around. He summoned his orb and it floated behind him as he walked around the training grounds. All had gone quiet, as everyone had paused to turn to Ren as he walked by each area.

He nodded in greeting to everyone before walking to the entrance of the training grounds, where Minhyun, JR, and Baekho were just arriving. "Anyone?" Asked JR. Ren shrugged. "I'll let the orb decide for me," he said. Minhyun nodded. "We'll end up choosing the worst to train to be the best just watch," he said. Baekho chuckled. "Don't tell them that, it'll make them act like they're the worst of the trainees," he said. JR grinned. "Well, we'll see who we end up choosing," he said.

"Oh, Suho said he was bring his pup and Sehun over today to help choose the 5th member," said Baekho. "Good, that's 1 for each of us," said Ren. "Baekhyun's back," said JR. "I know," said Ren. "So is Aron, but they've switched places," he said, chuckling some. "Well, let's get to choosing," he said, looking around the training ground. JR, Minhyun, and Baekho nodded before going to look at the current trainees.

~

Ren looked at his orb, which came to float beside him. He smiled at it before looking at the current batch of trainees again. He knew he would end up choosing another orb user, but he wanted to find someone who had yet to choose their god. Luhan and Chanyeol didn't mind letting someone choose their individual elements, and Ren really didn't want to give up Kris, but would be fine with it if it came to it.

The orb darted forward, causing Ren to follow after it, wondering who the orb chose. He came to a stop in front of a boy practicing with lightning. Ren watched as he sent lightning bolts forward towards a target, and clapped when the lightning hit the target, exploding.

The boy turned to Ren, looking surprised. "My uncle could do that," said Ren, as he chuckled. "What's your name?" He asked. "Doyoung," said Doyoung. "Who was your uncle?" He asked. "Chanyeol, he was in the guard before us," said Ren. "He's my idol, I haven't chosen my god yet," said Doyoung, as he shrugged. Ren nodded. "Well, that day may come soon," he said, smiling some.

"I let my orb guide me to you today, will you accept my offer of taking you under my wing and into training to become the next guard?" He asked. Doyoung look shocked. "Really?" He asked. Ren nodded. "I accept, I will train hard and make you and your uncle proud," Doyoung said, bowing.

Ren nodded and tilted his head when he saw Chen appear behind Doyoung. "I had a feeling I'd get a new orb to occupy soon," said Chen, who grinned when Doyoung jumped in surprise. Doyoung turned around, his eyes wide. "Chen, what did I tell you about scaring the trainees?" Chanyeol asked as he appeared beside Ren. "Hi uncle," said Ren. Doyoung turned to Chanyeol and his jaw dropped. "Might wanna close that mouth before you swallow a fly," Chanyeol said with a grin. Doyoung shook his head, closing his mouth.

"This... Do you think I'm worthy?" He asked. "If I didn't think you were worthy, Chen wouldn't have chosen you," said Chanyeol. Doyoung turned to Chen, who put a hand on his shoulder. "I am the black panther Chen, who controls lightning. Do you accept me as your god?" Asked Chen. "Yes," Doyoung managed to breathe out, still in shock. Chen grinned and a light surrounded the two before fading, leaving Doyoung alone with his orb, which was now white in color, with streaks of yellow covering it. Ren's orb lost its yellow color, the blue and red swirling and mixing to fill the spot where it had been yellow. "See ya Ren," Chanyeol said before he faded away.

Ren looked sad, but pushed passed it. "Let's get to training hm?" He asked. Doyoung nodded and Ren started training with him, going over what he already knew.

~

Minhyun was studying the current batch of trainees, and was the first person to notice that Ren had already made his choice. He smiled and shook his head. "I guess I gotta go with my instinct," he said, He looked around and his eyes landed on one person. Minhyun walked over and watched as the boy was in a sparring match with another fellow trainee. "Come on Taeyong, you really think you can win against me?" Asked the other trainee. "Shut up," grumbled Taeyong as he put all his effort into the spar, but still lost, slumping to the ground.

Minhyun went over and helped Taeyong stand. "Thanks," Taeyong said, scratching the back of his head. Minhyun smiled. "So," he said. "I can see your determination," he said, putting his hands in his pockets. Taeyong tilted his head to the side. "I try my hardest so I can send money home to my family," he said. "That's good," said Minhyun. "Have a goal, and determination. It will get you places," said Minhyun.

"I want to ask you to become my student, and I will train you so you can keep bringing money to your family," he said. "Do you accept my offer?" He asked. Taeyong looked shocked. "Yes," he said, bowing. "I will work my hardest to make you and my family proud of me," he said. Minhyun smiled, nodding.

"Let's get started," he said. He started training Taeyong.

~

Baekho noticed that Ren and Minhyun already had their trainees, so he went searching. He was a shapeshifter, it was only natural that he would end up looking for one because of his instinct to form a pack of sorts. He let his nose take him to the scent of a shapeshifter, and he found a boy practicing his knife throwing.

Baekho watched him for a minute before shaking his head. "You got your stance wrong," he said, going up and correcting his stance. "Now try," he said. The boy threw the knife in the new stance and it hit the middle of the target. "It takes practice," Baekho said, tilting his head. "What's your name?" He asked. "Uh... Jaehyun," said Jaehyun.

"What is your reason for coming here to the capitol to start training to be a guard?" Asked Baekho. "I lost my family," Jaehyun said, shrugging. "I wanted to find a place where I belonged, I still have trouble shifting between forms," he mumbled, sighing.

"What animal are you?" Asked Baekho. "Polar bear, I came from the north," said Jaehyun. "I heard about everything you did, so I wanted to become like you, get better at something while also working on controlling the change," he said. "You know, I still have trouble sometimes," said Baekho. "Not everyone is perfect, even Suho has trouble shifting," he said. "He's just been alive longer, it gets better with time," he said. Jaehyun nodded.

"So why are you here?" He asked. "I wanted to ask if you would become my student, I will teach you everything I know, and help with your shifting," said Baekho. "You seem like a good person, so I want to start training you," he said. Jaehyun looked surprised. "Are you sure?" He asked. "There's other people here," he said. Baekho smiled, shaking his head. "I'm sure," he said. "Shapeshifters have to stick together, no matter who they are," he said. "Okay," said Jaehyun.

"Do you accept?" asked Baekho. "I do, I will work hard and make you proud of me," said Jaehyun. "And I would like to join your pack," he said. "We aren't really a pack, but Suho and I are close friends," said Baekho. "But sure," he said, smiling some. Jaehyun smiled and nodded.

"Let's get to training," said Baekho. Jaehyun nodded and started training with Baekho, starting with his shifting.

~

JR was hesitant as he studied the trainees. He was the leader and was also a jack of all trades when it came to weapons. He had to choose carefully, and choose someone he thought would be a great leader and was good at using just about every weapon. He noticed how everyone had already gotten their trainees but him. He wondered when Suho would get here, since he had said that he'd help choose the 5th person.

JR noticed someone doing team exercises with a group of trainees, leading them through different stances for different weapons. JR went over, observing what was going on as he put his hands in his pockets.

"Alright, that's it for the day," said the person at the front. "Break time," he said, and everyone went to take a break. JR clapped, causing said person to jump. "Nice leadership, what's your name?" Asked JR. "Taeil," said Taeil.

"What are your skills Taeil?" Asked JR. "Uh, I don't really have a specific skill, I just try to at least have skill in everything," said Taeil. "My leadership isn't that good though," he said, scratching the back of his head. "That's alright, we can work on that," said JR. Taeil looked surprised. "Are you asking me to go into training with you?" He asked. JR nodded. "The next guard needs a leader, I can see it in you," he said.  "Do you accept?" He asked. "Yes," said Taeil. JR smiled. "Great, let's see what you already know," he said, as he started training Taeil.

~

Suho was just arriving at the palace training grounds with Sehun and Baekhyun when everyone had basically chosen their trainee. He wasn't officially apart of the guard, but he was loyal to Ren. Sehun looked around, and spotted his father immediately. "There!" He said, pointing in Ren's direction. Suho smiled, and took Sehun and Baekhyun over.

Ren was practicing with Doyoung, instructing him on how to properly control his orb, and then showing him how to draw out his own element. "It's kind of a shame I never really got the chance to be able to use lightning," he said, sighing a bit. "At least, I know the concept is basically the same though," he said. Doyoung nodded, and slumped to the floor in exhaustion. "Break time," said Ren as he noticed Suho, Sehun, and Baekhyun.

"Hi Daddy!" Said Sehun. "Hey kiddo, you behaving around uncle Suho?" Asked Ren. "Yes daddy," said Sehun as he smiled. "Baekhyun is a cool playmate too," he said. Baekhyun smiled at the compliment. "I came to help choose the last person," said Suho. "Well, you're in luck, JR wanted to call a meeting to talk about choosing the last person," said Ren. Suho nodded.

"Behave you two, okay?" He asked Baekhyun and Sehun. Baekhyun and Sehun nodded. "I'll watch them," said Doyoung. "Get the other trainees to help," said Suho. "These two are a handful," he said, chuckling. JR, Minhyun, and Baekho walked over with Taeyong, Taeil, and Jaehyun.

"So, this is your team you will be working with," said Ren. "Get to know each other, and watch over my son and his friend, there is one more person we need to choose, and then we each will start taking turns training you," he said. Doyoung and company nodded. Ren, Minhyun, JR, Baekho, and Suho walked off to do some debating.

"I say we get an archer," said Minhyun. "That would be good actually," said Baekho. "We have 2 close range and 1 long range fighter, and a jack of all trades when it comes to weapons," he said. "Are we basically recreating our team?" He asked. "It's worked so far," said Ren. "So far," Minhyun said, shrugging. "I say we go with an archer, someone young, but we need to be careful with that, we do not want another Taemin," said JR.

"Shall we let the orb have the final decision?" Asked Ren. Suho nodded. "It's taken us places, and it's chosen the next guard, I say go for it," he said. "It got us to the queen, I say go for it," said Baekho. Minhyun nodded in agreement. "Alright, let's see who your orb chooses," said JR.

Ren summoned his orb and it came to float in front of him. "Go choose," he said to it. The orb stayed still for a minute before it darted forwards, towards the archery range. Ren followed after it, wondering who it would lead them to.

Ren came to a stop behind a young boy no older than 16 practicing with his archery. A German Shepard dog sat at the boy's side, watching what was going on. Ren was immediately reminded of when he used to watch Aron practice with his bow. He smiled some, but stayed where he was, looking back as Minhyun and the others walked over.

JR put his hands in his pockets, giving Ren a reassuring smile. Ren took a deep breath and walked over. "You have your stance wrong," he said, correcting the boy's stance. "Now try," he said. The boy tried again, grinning when the arrow hit the target. "Not exactly in the middle, but you hit it this time at least," Ren said, smiling some.

"What's your name?" He asked. "Mark," said Mark, as he put the bow down before turning to Ren. "Woah, you're in the queen's guard aren't you?" He asked, his eyes wide. "Yep," said Ren. "We're choosing the next 5 to train," he said, leaning down to look at the German Shepard dog. "Who's this?" He asked. "This is Jeonghan," said Mark. "I take him with me here after school," he said. "My parents don't really like him, but I take care of him," he said. Ren nodded, scratching behind Jeonghan's ears before standing.

"So why'd you come over here?" Asked Mark. "Well, I wanted to ask if you would like to come into training to be the next guard," said Ren. Mark looked surprised. "Are you sure?" He asked. Ren nodded. "I accept," said Mark, who bowed. Ren smiled. "We're going to be in the queen's guard!" Mark said to Jeonghan, who wagged his tail in excitement. "Come meet your team members," Ren said, taking Mark and Jeonghan to meet Doyoung and company.

~

Ren and the others got to work on training the new guard, giving them tips and helping them improve in teamwork and such. Throughout the next year or so everyone worked hard while Mark worked to finish high school.

When it came time to appoint the new guard, everyone was ready. It was a private event, but by the end of the day, everyone knew who the new guard was.

Ren, Minhyun, Baekho, and Suho stood off to the side while the queen was handed the first pocket watch by JR before JR went to stand beside Suho. Doyoung, Taeyong, Jaehyun, Taeil, and Mark, with Jeonghan standing proudly by his side, stood in a line waiting to be called up.

"Each of you have been personally chosen by my guard to become the next guard," said the queen. "You each have your own strengths and weaknesses that balance each other out," she said. "Taeil step forward please," she said. Taeil walked forward, and leaned down, holding out his hand. The queen put the pocket watch in his hand, smiling. "You have been chosen because of your leadership skills, and how you've stayed strong even through all the intense training, welcome to the guard," she said. Taeil stood and bowed, before going to stand to the left of the queen. He looked proud as he stood there, giving the others a reassuring nod.

Ren stepped forward with a pocket watch and handed it to the queen before going back to stand in his place. "Doyoung step forward please," said the queen. Doyoung stepped forward, with his orb floating beside him. Doyoung looked nervous, but he quickly put a blank expression on his face as he leaned down, holding out his hand. The queen put the pocket watch in his hand, nodding. "You have been chosen because lightning users are rare now a days," she said. "The fact that Chen himself came forward to choose you lets me know that you are worthy for the title of being a part of the guard," she said. "Welcome to the guard," she said. Doyoung stood and bowed, before going to stand beside Taeil.

Minhyun stepped forward with a pocket watch and handed it to the queen before going back to stand in his place. "Taeyong step forward please," said the queen. Taeyong stepped forward, and leaned down, holding out his hand. The queen put the pocket watch in his hand, giving a reassuring smile. "You have been chosen, not out of pity, but because of your determination," she said. "You were the worst, but you became the best under Minhyun's guidance, welcome to the guard," she said. Taeyong stood, bowing before going to stand beside Doyoung.

Baekho stepped forward with a pocket watch and handed it to the queen before going back to stand in his place. "Jaehyun step forward please," said the queen. Jaehyun stepped forward, looking the most confident out of everyone. He leaned down, holding out his hand. "You have been chosen because you were determined to not make your shifting a weakness," said the queen. "You have the determination to keep it that way, just like Baekho," she said. "Welcome to the guard," she said, putting the pocket watch in his hand. Jaehyun stood, bowing before going to stand beside Taeyong.

Suho stepped forward with a pocket watch and handed it to the queen before going back to stand in his place. "Mark and Jeonghan step forward please," said the queen. Mark was hesitant as he stepped forward, Jeonghan walking beside him. Mark leaned down, holding out his hand as Jeonghan leaned down on his front paws in a bow. The queen put the pocket watch in Mark's hand before petting Jeonghan behind the ears. "Mark, you may be the youngest, but you've proven to your teammates that you can hold your own," she said. "You were still in high school when you were chosen, but you didn't let your studies get in the way of your training and vise versa," she said. "You have a lot to live up to, I just wish that you don't end up like Taemin," she said. "Welcome to the guard," she said. Mark stood, bowing before he and Jeonghan went to stand by Jaehyun.

The queen walked out to the balcony overlooking the city, where a crowd was already gathering. Ren and the others went out to stand with the crowd, looking up at the balcony. Taeil and the rest of the new guard stood behind the queen, looking proud to be there. Sehun stood with Baekhyun and Aron with Yezi going to stand beside Ren. "You did it," said Yezi. Ren nodded, smiling. "Yep," he said.

"Citizens of the capitol," said the queen as all went quiet. "I welcome you the new guard!" She said as fireworks shot up from the ground. Everyone cheered. Ren and company cheered the loudest, knowing that they had helped in choosing the new guard.