Chapter 8

Overcome [A NU'EST Fanfic]

Ren was anticipating the upcoming rescue mission, as he told Baekho about who he had run into a little earlier. Baekho himself was a little apprehensive about trusting Kyungsoo since he was a mercenary, but he decided to give Kyungsoo a chance because he had been a part of the queen's guard before them.

"Are you sure we can trust Kyungsoo?" Asked Baekho as he sat on his bed. Ren nodded. "Yeah, if something was up then my orb would've appeared," he said. "You trust that thing too much," grumbled Baekho. Ren looked pissed. "What do you think brought me to you in the first place? If it hadn't been for the orb you would've been dead," he said, standing and marching out the door, slamming it shut behind him. Baekho sighed, and turned to Baekhyun, who just stared at him with accusing eyes. "I'll apologize when he gets back," he grumbled, going and opening the door, which got Baekhyun to get up and leave the room, going after Ren.

Ren sat in the main room of the inn by the fireplace, staring into the fire. Baekhyun went over and laid at Ren's feet. Ren managed to smile faintly at Baekhyun before tilting his head at the fire. He gently coaxed the fire to flare up a little with a little movement from his fingers before relaxing in the chair he was sitting in. "They don't understand us magic users," he grumbled to himself as he tried to get his mind off of things.

Ren did trust the orb, a lot. It was the only thing he had left really. He hadn't been in contact with his own parents in years. He wanted to go see them after he rescued the queen, maybe if he asked nicely he wouldn't end up like his former mentors and uncle and got to retire.

Baekho came down into the main part of the inn, wanting to apologize. Ren spotted him and nodded a little. "I'm sorry," mumbled Baekho as he scratched the back of his head. "I know you didn't mean it," said Ren, as he sighed. "We're under a lot of stress lately, and I want to rescue Minhyun as much as you do," he said.

"When are we leaving?" Asked Baekho. "As soon as Kyungsoo gets back with Minhyun's location," said Ren. "Do you think it'll just be the 4 of us by the time we get to the queen?" He asked. "The 4 of us as in you, Minhyun, Baekhyun and I?" Asked Baekho. Ren nodded. "I dunno," said Baekho. "It could happen, Kyungsoo may back out of it last minute," he said. "JR is waiting on us to write to him," mumbled Ren. "How the hell do I tell him Aron is dead?" He asked. Baekho shrugged. "It'll hit him pretty hard, how are you handling it?" He asked. "Better than I thought I'd be," said Ren. "I guess it comes with me losing everyone close to me pretty often," he mumbled. Baekho nodded.

Kyungsoo came into the inn, and spotted them. He removed his hood and walked over. "So you are alive," Baekho said, looking surprised. Kyungsoo chuckled some. "What didn't even believe Ren? Wow," he said. "Sorry," said Baekho, who scratched the back of his head in a sheepish manner.

"Anyway, I have some news," said Kyungsoo. "Minhyun is alive, but barely, there's a pack of werewolves holding him hostage," he said. "Their leader is someone named Yongguk," he said. "They want to try and make a ransom, but I know you don't want that," he said. Ren sighed. "We have to go in and rescue him," he said. "I thought you would say that, so I have a plan," said Kyungsoo.

"We go in in the middle of the night," he said, nodding. "They don't have guards usually, so this is the perfect chance to go," he said. "We leave tonight," he said. Ren and Baekho nodded. They both got up and headed back to their room with Baekhyun, to rest up and be ready for the mission ahead of them.