Chapter 16

Overcome [A NU'EST Fanfic]

They went to the inn and up to their room. Suho went back to the forest, and Ren knew with one whistle Suho would be there.

Ren went to take a shower, getting dressed in the bathroom before going to lay down. Kyungsoo sat down on his bed, leaning against the wall. Baekho went to take a shower next, also getting dressed in the bathroom and coming out to sit on his bed.

"Hey Kyungsoo?" Asked Ren as he sat up. Kyungsoo looked over at Ren, tilting his head. "Can you walk us through the last mission you had with the queen?" Asked Ren. Kyungsoo thought back on it, and then started the story.

~

Luhan and Kyungsoo stood before the queen, as Ren and the rest of new guard stood to the side, wondering what was up. The queen herself stood, and walked up to Kyungsoo, putting a hand on his shoulder. "I need you to do one last mission for me," she said. "The information is here, good luck," she said, handing Kyungsoo an envelope. "I trust you can get out of this alive," said the queen. "Yes your majesty," said Kyungsoo and Luhan. "Good luck," said the queen, as she turned and walked back to the throne and sat down. Luhan and Kyungsoo bowed before walking out of the throne room.

"I swear if we have to go and try to assassinate Taemin again," grumbled Luhan as they went to get supplies. Kyungsoo looked at the paper in the envelope. "It's another assassination attempt," Kyungsoo said, sighing. "Damn it," grumbled Luhan as they headed towards the gates.

"What do you think of the new guard?" Asked Kyungsoo. "Frankly, I'm glad for those 5," Luhan said, smiling some. Kyungsoo chuckled. "We trained them hard didn't we?" He asked. "Do you think this happened with Onew and Minho?" He asked. "I think so, I know they liked Taemin, but he was exiled," said Luhan. Kyungsoo nodded. "Do you think your orb can lead us straight to him?" He asked. "We'll see," said Luhan as he summoned his orb. "Lead the way," he said, and the orb darted forward. Kyungsoo and Luhan followed after it.

After a couple days they found themselves in the mountains just outside the kingdom. Kyungsoo looked up at the mountains, Luhan coming to a stop beside him. Luhan's orb floated behind him, as Luhan looked around. "Let's go," said Luhan as they headed into the mountains. Something felt very wrong as the air around them felt heavy. "If we're attacked here we can't do very much," mumbled Luhan as he looked around.

Kyungsoo looked up and saw something flying towards them. "Duck!" He yelled as he pushed Luhan to the ground. Kyungsoo managed to put up a wall of earth just as he was nearly blasted with a ball of fire. Luhan stood, and saw a red colored dragon. "It can't be," he said, looking shocked. "Is that Kris?" Asked Kyungsoo. "I think so, Ren told me his god was a red dragon," said Luhan. "This is going to be a problem," he mumbled. "Let's go," said Kyungsoo. "We don't have Chanyeol, but we need to go at it like before," he said.

Luhan started by sending ice balls towards the dragon, Kyungsoo kicking up rocks towards the dragon. The dragon dodged everything and swooped in, swiping at Kyungsoo. "Taemin is there watch it!" Said Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo put up another wall of earth as Luhan worked to stall the dragon. Kyungsoo was knocked over by the dragon, getting slashed in the face with a claw. "Damn!" Luhan said, going over to Kyungsoo. "Are you alright?" He asked, shaking Kyungsoo. "I'm fine, I think," said Kyungsoo. "I'm not blind, so that's good," he said. Luhan closed the wound with a little bit of ice. "It's gonna scar, but at least the bleeding stopped," he said.

The dragon swooped around again, Taemin sending a wall of fire towards them. Luhan managed to stop it with a wall of ice, getting pushed backwards a couple feet. Taemin hopped off the dragon's back, grabbing his sword. Kyungsoo struggled to stand as Luhan was pushed back more by a wall of fire.

Kyungsoo saw that Luhan was about to fall off the edge so Kyungsoo acted quickly and stopped him with a wall of earth pushing him from behind. Kyungsoo launched himself at Taemin, ready to kill him. "Careful 'Soo!" Yelled Luhan, as he put down the wall of ice.

Luhan launched himself at Taemin, and he and Kyungsoo attacked at the same time. Kyungsoo was knocked to the side with the hilt of Taemin's sword and then Luhan was slashed at. Kyungsoo managed to stop Taemin in his tracks by sticking his feet to the floor. It didn't stop the sword from going into Luhan's stomach and out his back though.

Taemin smirked and twisted the sword around as Luhan coughed up blood. Kyungsoo struggled to stand, as Luhan was burned from the inside out, his screams in pain echoing through the mountain range. Taemin removed his sword and backed off. Luhan collapsed, clutching at his stomach. "Come back again and you'll see the end of you like your friend here," said Taemin as Kris landed behind him. Taemin climbed onto Kris's back and Kris flew off.

Kyungsoo scrambled over to Luhan, tears falling down his cheeks. "Luhan, I'm sorry I couldn't stop him," he said. "It's alright," Luhan said, coughing up blood. "Continue to live, you can't go back to the capitol with a failed mission," he said. Kyungsoo nodded and stayed with Luhan as he took his final breaths. "I'm sorry... I'm sorry," he mumbled, as Luhan went still. Kyungsoo took a minute to make a hole for Luhan's body before putting the body inside it. He got out and refilled the hole.

He left the mountains, becoming a mercenary.

~

Ren looked shocked. "Kris is Taemin's dragon?" He asked. "I think so," said Kyungsoo. "It's time for you to take Kris back, you were right, there is a reason for Kris coming to you," he said. "Maybe we can also figure out why Suho can't shift too," said Ren. Kyungsoo nodded. Baekho and Minhyun went to sleep, wanting to rest up for the next big battle.

Ren got up and went downstairs into the main part of the inn to do some thinking. He sat in a chair by the fireplace and was deep in thought. Aron came downstairs and sat beside Ren. "You'll free Kris," he said. "I know," said Ren. "Kris needs to be freed, but I'm scared, he's not in my orb anymore is he?" He asked. Aron shook his head no. "Hopefully he'll pull through for you in the end," he said. Ren nodded a little.