Chapter 11

Overcome [A NU'EST Fanfic]

Time passed and Kyungsoo came to see them after a couple days. Ren was ready to go, and so was Minhyun and Baekho.

Minhyun strapped his sword to his back as Ren put his pack on his back. Baekho still hadn't gotten his knives back so he gave Minhyun his pack in case he needed to change quickly. "Do you know where we're going?" Asked Kyungsoo. Ren shook his head. Aron had left, going back into the spirit realm, but he promised he'd be there to help if he was needed. "I think the orb can lead us, if it comes down to it," said Ren. "I'd also like to stop by an armory," he said. "I ordered some things, and I think they have it ready," he said. Kyungsoo nodded and let Ren lead the way.

Ren led them to the armory, where the guy at the counter waved at them before going into the backroom. "Here you are," said the man as he came out with a pack with a quiver built into it. "And here's your bow you requested, this is truly a unique item," he said. Ren took the pack and replaced his current one, moving things into the new pack. He then took the bow and tested it, drawing the string slightly to test the strength. Ren nodded. "Thank you, I paid you in advance," he said. "You did, now here's the arrows you requested," said the shopkeeper as Ren turned around and the shopkeeper put the arrows in the attached quiver.

"And your knives," said the shopkeeper as he brought out a box. Baekho went to look at them, testing the sharpness. "You didn't need to do this," he mumbled. "I know you miss having your knives, so I got them replaced," said Ren. "Thanks," said Baekho.

"What's with the sudden interest in archery anyway?" Asked Minhyun. Ren shrugged. "I did train with Aron for a time, I'm bound to pick up a thing or two," he said. They had to tell Minhyun about Aron's death after Minhyun woke up and Minhyun was handling it well.

"Let me drop off some letters at a post office and we can go," said Ren. He was not looking forward to JR's reaction to Aron and Baekhyun's deaths. He was sure someone in his dream realm would replay JR's reaction sometime later when he was asleep. He still wrote to his parents, even though he hadn't gotten a response from them since Chanyeol's death. Ren headed to the nearest post office and dropped off his letters before they continued on their journey.

Ren looked up when he felt that something was wrong. He paused as they left the town, looking towards the forest they had gone to rescue Minhyun a couple nights ago. "What's up?" Asked Baekho as he noticed how tense Ren was. "Something seems off," mumbled Ren, grabbing his bow and an arrow. His orb appeared and everyone went on the defensive. Baekho's hand went towards his knife holster while Minhyun prepared to grab his sword. "It's been a while since I used a bow, if I miss, I need ya'll to back me up," said Ren. "We got you," said Minhyun.

Ren drew back the string on the bow, ready to fire an arrow as soon as he aimed. They heard light footsteps and a large wolf stepped out of the woods towards them. Ren tilted his head. Baekho seemed to relax slightly. "It's a wolf, but they don't get this large," he mumbled. "It's a shapeshifter," said Kyungsoo. "I think Yixing said something about Jongin getting this large when he changed," he said. It was the size of a horse, easily rideable, though Ren wondered what it was doing here.

A name came to his mind then. "Suho?" He asked. The wolf tilted his head to the side. "You can't shift can you?" Asked Kyungsoo. The wolf, now dubbed as Suho shook his head no. "Do you want to travel with us?" Asked Ren, as he reached out a hand. Suho moved forward and let Ren pet him. "Alright then, let's go," said Ren. They continued walking, Ren putting the bow and the arrow away. He kept his orb summoned and watched as it darted forwards. Ren followed it in a brisk pace, everyone else scrambling to catch up.

"What's the hurry?" Asked Baekho. "The orb must've caught onto something," said Ren. "Do you know where we are going?" He asked Kyungsoo. "Towards the edge of the kingdom, near the mountains," said Kyungsoo. "There's a small village at the foot of the mountains," he said. "I don't think we'll make it there tonight, we'll have to sleep out in the open tonight," he said. Ren nodded. They continued following the orb, trying to at least make it halfway before stopping for the night.