Chapter 19: The Final Battle!

Overcome [A NU'EST Fanfic]

They entered the castle, looking around the huge hall. Ren was tense, as he drew the string on the bow back with an arrow.

They heard clapping from somewhere in front of them, then the lights . Taemin stood in front of his throne, with Kris behind the throne, growling. "Kris," Ren breathed out, looking up at the dragon. "Concentrate, we can't focus on Kris right now," said Kyungsoo.

Taemin smirked, walking down the steps to his throne, his orb summoned. "So, you're here for me, and the queen?" He asked, walking towards Ren and his group. "I suppose you're my successor, considering Kris went to you, too bad he came back to me," He said to Ren. Ren tightened his grip on the string, getting ready to aim and fire.

Taemin drew his sword. "I didn't think I'd see you again, I warned you you'd end up like your friend Luhan, Kyungsoo," he said. Kyungsoo tensed up, glaring at Taemin. "So, who's first?" Asked Taemin. "Maybe a battle of the orbs? Or a battle of the swords..." He muttered, as he leaped forward, going for Minhyun first. Minhyun threw up his sword to try and block Taemin and was pushed back by the force of the blow.

Ren fired an arrow at Taemin, who dodged it. "Feeling useless without your magic huh?" Taemin said with a smirk as he swung his sword at Ren. Ren managed to jump out of the way just in time before he was stabbed. Everyone scattered and Taemin looked around.

Ren looked at Minhyun and Baekho, who were ready to attack on Ren's move. Minhyun grabbed his sword again, and Baekho grabbed his knives. Ren grabbed another arrow and drew the string on his bow back with the arrow attached to the string. They had to be quick about it, so Minhyun and Baekho attacked first, trying to catch Taemin off guard.

Taemin was distracted for a second but quickly caught on as he swung his sword. It took both Baekho and Minhyun to block the sword, Minhyun with his own sword and Baekho with one of his knives. Ren took the moment to quickly aim, firing directly at Taemin.

Taemin had quick reflexes as he used his orb, making a flaming tornado, which headed straight towards Ren. Kyungsoo tried to block it, but the tornado was too fast. Ren threw up his hands, shielding himself, and preparing for the flames to engulf him. He heard an all too familiar yelp in pain as Suho jumped in front of Ren, taking the full blow of the flaming tornado.

Ren let his hands fall to his side as he looked panicked. He ran to Suho, who was badly burned in some places. "Suho!" He said, scrambling to figure out how to at least soothe the burns. Ren felt ice at his fingertips and moved his hands over the more severe burns, covering them in ice to soothe them. "Stay with us Suho!" He said, moving Suho over to the side. Kyungsoo went to attack Taemin with Baekho and Minhyun, trying to make an opening for Ren to do something.

"I'll be back soon okay? Stay alive for us!" Said Ren as he grabbed his bow and an arrow. He got into position like he was taught, and pulled the string back, aiming at Taemin. He waited for an opening of sorts, as he felt Aron behind him, helping his aim a bit. "Come on guys... Pull through for me," Ren said, waiting for his chance.

Taemin was doing a good job blocking 3 attacks at once, but he couldn't focus on Ren. Ren felt his orb pulse and suddenly the tip of the arrow was encased in ice. "Thanks Luhan," he said, before taking a deep breath. "Come on Kris, pull through for one last time..." He muttered, as the orb pulsed, the arrow being encased by lightning. Kris let out a roar, and suddenly the arrow was encased in fire. "I will set you free!" Ren said, as he fired the arrow, aiming straight into Taemin's chest.

Taemin dropped immediately, though Baekho slit his throat to make sure. Ren dropped his bow, slumping to the floor. He was exhausted, but he saw Kris return to his human form, and walk over to them. "Thanks for saving me," Kris said to Ren, who looked up at him. "Are you going to help us get home?" Asked Ren. Kris nodded. "Let's go get the queen," he said.

Suho stood, shaking out his fur. He had healed pretty quickly thanks to his shapeshifting abilities, but would he be able to return to human form? He wasn't completely sure. Kris led everyone to a room, where Taemin had the queen in.

"You 5 did it," said the queen as soon as she saw them. "Taemin is finally dead, and we can all rest easy now," she said. "Ren, it was your determination that got you here today, so I thank you, for rallying the others to get them here," she said. "Your wolf friend can shift back now, if he wishes," she said. Ren turned to Suho, who bowed his head before returning to human form. "Thank you, your highness," he said, bowing again.

"Kyungsoo, you can return to the spirit realm now," said the queen. Kyungsoo looked surprised. Everyone turned to Kyungsoo, in shock. "How did you know?" Asked Kyungsoo. "I just had a feeling," said the queen. Kyungsoo bowed, taking off his cloak. "I guess I don't need this anymore," he said, before handing it to Suho, who put it on to cover his body. Kyungsoo turned to Ren, and smiled. "I'll see you in your dreams then I guess," he said. Ren nodded and everyone watched as Kyungsoo faded away.

"Let's start heading home shall we?" Asked Kris. "Is it even possible for you to carry all of us?" Asked Baekho. Kris smirked. "I have my ways," he said. They walked out of the castle, where the air felt warm for the first time in a very long time.

"It'll take a few weeks for everything to defrost," said Kris as he looked around. Suho had gone to find clothes and came out of the castle dressed in a shirt and a pair of shorts. Kris transformed into his dragon form and leaned down. Ren motioned for the queen to get on Kris's back first, which she did. Ren was next, followed by Minhyun, Baekho, then Suho. They held onto the spikes going along Kris's back.

Kris made sure everyone was comfortable before he leaped into the air, flapping his wings to gain flight. They started the flight home, back to the capitol.