Chapter 20

Overcome [A NU'EST Fanfic]

Ren sent a letter ahead of time letting JR know he was returning, his mission successful. They had stopped at the town by the borders to get supplies and let Kris rest a few days. The town was in high spirits, seeing that the queen had been rescued and treated Ren and company like royalty, even though they were just the queen's guard. The queen herself was taking in the news of the towns along the borders to the kingdom.

Ren was ready to go, though by now Kris had returned to his orb. They would have to walk the rest of the way home. Suho was more than happy to provide transport for Ren and the queen, while Baekho would be in leopard form with Minhyun on his back like before. Ren was okay with it, but they needed to be stocked with supplies for the journey.

Ren leaned against the wall of one of the shops on the main street of the town they were currently staying in, waiting on the others to return from shopping. His orb had been summoned, as he noticed 3 different colors within the orb. "Red, blue, yellow," he mumbled, his head tilting to the side. He smiled, as he realized what those colors meant. He chuckled and turned when he saw the others approach. "Ready?" He asked them. Everyone nodded.

Ren grabbed his bag and slung it over his shoulder, turning to the queen. "Do you mind getting on Suho behind me? Or would you rather be in front?" He asked, trying to be polite. The queen smiled. "I'll be behind you," she said. "I believe you need to lead the way," she said. Ren nodded, bowing.

They headed towards the entrance of town, Suho and Baekho changing as they left the entrance. Ren got on Suho's back, with the queen climbing on behind him, and hugging him from behind to stay balanced. Suho made sure everyone was comfortable as Ren gripped onto the collar he slipped around Suho's neck to have a better grip on him in case they ran into trouble. Minhyun got onto Baekho's back and was soon ready to go. Ren looked at his orb. "Lead the way," he said to it, and the orb darted forward, Suho and Baekho running after it.

After a couple days everyone could see the gates to the capitol. It was a long journey back, with them stopping for a few hours to let Baekho and Suho rest a couple times. JR was waiting for them, looking relieved to see them, and proud for Ren to have completed a successful mission.

"Welcome back your highness," JR said, bowing. Suho came to a stop at the gates, panting. The queen got off Suho's back, and smiled at JR. "Thank you JR, for keeping watch over the city after I was taken," she said. Ren got off of Suho's back as Minhyun got off Baekho's back. Suho and Baekho went to change before coming back to stand behind Ren. JR bowed and walked back into the city. The queen followed after him, with Ren, Minhyun, Baekho, and Suho following behind her.

There was a crowd of people lining the streets, all cheering for the successful mission. Ren and the rest of the guard kept their heads high, pride radiating off of everyone. The weather was starting to become warmer now, but there was still snow on the ground.

The queen reached the palace and walked up to the balcony that overlooked the city. Ren and the guard stood behind her in a line, with Suho taking Aron's place by Ren's side. JR didn't question it, nor did any of the other guards.

"Citizens of the capitol," started the queen. "I have returned safe and sound thanks to the wonderful bravery of the guard I appointed myself," she said. "We may be missing two valued members, but they will remain in our hearts as proud members of my personal guard," she said. "Tonight, we celebrate my return, and a successful assassination of Taemin, the one who captured me, and has been an enemy to the kingdom since he was exiled, rejoice, because I promise that in the years to come, our kingdom will enjoy peace at its finest," she said.

The crowd cheered at her speech, and watched as the queen went back inside.

Celebrations would go on for the next couple weeks and a proper funeral was held for Aron and Baekhyun. Ren left his bow in front of Aron's grave, retiring from archery for good.

"I swore that if you died, I would retire from this," Ren said when he felt Aron's presence behind him. "I was never as good as you were anyway," he mumbled, before turning and walking back to the palace with JR and Minhyun. Baekho had already left, going into training with Suho to help with his shifting.