Chapter 3

Overcome [A NU'EST Fanfic]

Ren had passed out again sometime during the night, the exhaustion from travelling and stress causing him to just fall asleep. He was known for being a deep sleeper, so when he jolted awake sometime later he sat up, looking towards the empty sleeping bag that Baekho had been sleeping in.

"You're finally awake," said a familiar voice as Ren's head turned towards the fire. "You shouldn't be up moving around," mumbled Ren as he got up. "I'm fine," said Baekho. "You healed me up just fine, at least when it comes to stitching," he said. "I'm not doing anything strenuous," he said. Ren sighed. "You should go back to the capitol," he said. "At least to heal," he said. "I heal quick, I'm a shapeshifter remember," mumbled Baekho as he scratched the back of his head. "That's what Jongin said but you saw what happened shortly after," mumbled Ren. "Yixing did his best," said Baekho. "Healing spells can only do so much," he said. "You can do both," he said.

"Have you seen Aron while you were out here?" Asked Ren as he changed the subject. Baekho shook his head. "How'd you end up in one of the most dangerous forests in the kingdom anyway?" Asked Ren. "My nose took me here," said Baekho. "I'm a tracker, you know that," he said. "I found a trace of Minhyun's scent here, but I had to run away," he said. "A wolf pack found me, I actually managed to hide in a tree when I smelled you nearby," he said. "Werewolves?" Asked Ren. Baekho shrugged. "No, they don't look like it," he said. Ren nodded.

"I've never run into a pack like this though, it's like they're being controlled by someone," said Baekho. "Remember, regular animals absolutely hate shapeshifters," said Ren. "These wolves looked like they were sent after me though, I'm usually not attacked like that," said Baekho. "We can leave after having some breakfast," he said. "I need to head back to where I found Minhyun's scent," he said. Ren nodded and got up, going to check on the traps.

"Hey," said Baekho as he went over to Ren, putting a hand on his shoulder. Ren jumped, and turned to Baekho. "I miss them too, sorry for bringing up Jongin and Yixing," he said. Ren managed to smile a little. "It's alright," he said. He went back to taking down the traps and Baekho went back to making breakfast.

Ren went back to the fire after taking down the traps. Baekho had breakfast made, and was eating his share. Ren got his share and ate it, being quiet. After breakfast Ren put out the fire and shoveled snow onto it to hide the remains. "Ready?" He asked Baekho. Baekho nodded. "Let's go," said Ren. He took down the barriers and summoned his orb.

Baekho went back to the spot he had found Minhyun's scent at. Ren followed after him, the orb floating behind him. "You found his scent here?" He asked when Baekho stopped. "Yeah," said Baekho. Ren crouched down and touched the ground where the scent was the strongest. He looked up at Baekho. "Keep me protected yeah?" He asked. Baekho nodded and Ren concentrated on the spot, using a trick he had learned from Kyungsoo, an earth mage.

There was footsteps, and Baekho moved slightly, his hand going to a knife he had strapped to his belt. "The wolves are back," he warned Ren as he looked around them. "I know," mumbled Ren. "Give me a second," he said, moving his hand from the ground. "This trail is cold," he said, turning to the wolves that suddenly surrounded them. "Great," grumbled Baekho as he prepared to shift. "Don't," said Ren. "I think one of these wolves is Aron's," he said.

Aron stepped out of the trees, smiling some when he saw them. "I thought it'd be you two," he said. "I had Baekhyun here tracking Minhyun," he said, nodding to his companion. "These wolves he just befriended," he said. "Be gone, we're safe now," he said. The wolves ran off, soon disappearing from sight.

"I saw that you were injured, what the hell happened?" He asked. Baekho sighed. "Was attacked with my guard down, nearly got ripped to shreds by wolves," he said. "Not these guys I hope," said Aron. "No, if it was them they would've come to finish me off," said Baekho. "Couldn't shift?" Asked Aron. "It would've taken too long," mumbled Baekho.

"What are you doing out here?" Asked Ren. "I hunt out here, I was out of the capitol for a week when the queen had been taken, I did send word that I would be looking for her though," said Aron. "I was planning on returning to the capitol before then, but something came up," he said. "Did you fare any better in finding Minhyun?" Asked Ren. Aron shook his head. "Just this trail," he said. "Let's continue on then, we need to find the queen, but maybe we'll run into Minhyun along the way," said Ren. Aron and Baekho nodded.

They continued on their journey, Baekhyun scouting ahead through the forest in case something did try and attack them again.