Chapter 2

Overcome [A NU'EST Fanfic]

The night was long and cold. Ren had put up a protective barrier around him in case any of the predators of the night got curious. It protected him against the predators but not the cold. He kept the fire going as long as he could before he passed out.

Ren woke with a start when he heard one of his perimeter alarms go off. He looked towards the perimeter, and crouched low. He crawled towards the sound, keeping low to the ground so he couldn't be spotted. He reached his perimeter and gasped. "Baekho!" He said, surprised. "Heh, I knew you'd be here," said Baekho as he coughed up blood. He was holding onto his side as he collapsed. Ren went over and took down the barrier and half carried half dragged Baekho into the clearing. He was suddenly wide awake as he put up the barrier again.

He quickly checked Baekho's injuries, looking frantically for any fatal injuries. He called upon his orb, and wondered if he could heal with it. He knew basic first aid but he didn't know much else. He patched up what he could, and tried to go through all the spells he knew trying to find one that healed. He checked the wound on Baekho's side, grumbling about stitches. He dug through his pack and grabbed some stitches from his medical kit. He cleaned up the wound and stitched it before wrapping it in a bandage.

He got the fire going again, and gathered some snow to melt and boil into clean water. He flared up the flame and tried his best to warm up the small clearing. He wrapped up Baekho in his sleeping bag to keep him warm.

One of his perimeter alarms went off again so he went to investigate, keeping his orb summoned in case he would need to kill something. He saw a wolf on the other side, possibly drawn over by the blood. Ren quickly shushed the wolf away with a small fire ball landing at it's feet. The wolf jumped back in surprise before growling. "Get away!" He said, jumping in surprise when more perimeter alarms went off. "Crap," he said, knowing this was the rest of the wolf's pack. He strengthened the barrier and started setting traps again.

Ren went back to the clearing and examined Baekho before checking on the melted snow. He took one of the tree branches from a tree and worked on sharpening it. He didn't know what good that would do, but he needed to protect his friend. "What would've Minhyun done in this situation?" He asked himself, as he looked at his magical orb.

He kept his makeshift spear clutched in his hand as he forced himself to stay up the entire night, keeping the fire burning and watching Baekho.