Chapter 1: The Journey Begins!

Overcome [A NU'EST Fanfic]

The entire kingdom was in turmoil, the capitol in hysteria when they discovered that the queen had been taken. Not only that but it left the entire kingdom in a frozen wasteland. The queen's guard had been summoned to find her, but it seemed that only one was dead set on finding her regardless of what happens.

Ren stood at the gates of the capitol, looking ahead of him. He was the last to be sent out, seeing that Minhyun had disappeared and Aron was still out looking for her. JR had opted to stay behind and keep an eye on things at the capitol. Baekho was, from what Ren knew already, lost in one of the most dangerous forests in the kingdom. He could feel the magic he had in his control tingling at his fingertips as he checked his bag to make sure he truly got everything before finally starting his adventure.

He was promptly stopped by a familiar voice. "Wait!" called out JR. He ran up to Ren, panting slightly with a small package in his hand. "Some food for you, are you sure you can handle doing this on your own?" He asked. "Don't worry," said Ren. "My magic can protect me," he said, taking the package. "Don't be afraid to ask for help Ren," said JR, as he put his hands in his pockets. "Don't worry about it," said Ren. "I'll find Minhyun and Aron along the way, doubt Baekho will survive, but I'm going to look for him too," he said. JR nodded. "Be safe, may the queen watch over you," he said. Ren nodded and turned towards the gates again. He took a deep breath and walked out of the capitol, the gates closing behind him.

Ren started his journey, not sure on the where abouts of his friends, but he let instinct guide him. He looked around the surrounding snowy wasteland as he walked, trying to get a feel for his surroundings. It had been a couple hours since he left the capitol, and now it seems he found himself turned around and lost.

"Damn," mumbled Ren as he tried to get a feel for his surroundings again. He glanced at the pocket watch the queen had given him, holding it up to his face. Ren, your magic will show you the way... Just focus he heard a voice in his head say. He blinked, and smiled some. "Well then, show me the way," he mumbled as he held his hand out in front of him, an orb appearing in his hand. He let it float in front of him for a minute, as he put his hand down. He put the pocket watch back in his pocket as the orb suddenly darted forward, causing Ren to run after it.

He wondered where the orb was taking him when he saw trees up ahead. "I should've grabbed a map," he grumbled to himself, though he came to a stop just outside the forest that loomed over him, the orb coming to float behind him.

He noticed it was getting dark, so he circled around the outskirts of the forest, looking for a good place to set up camp. "If this is the forest I'm thinking of, Baekho must be lost in here somewhere," he grumbled to himself. He found a small cluster of trees that were close to each other to the point of the branches touching so he decided to set up camp there for the night. He gathered some firewood and made a small campfire, lighting it with a quick spell.

He glanced around him, before setting up a perimeter of traps in case a predator tried to get to him. "Better to be safe than sorry," he mumbled to himself as he went to sit by the fire again. He found himself looking at the pocket watch again, before letting it fall from his hand. He held onto the chain for a second longer before putting the pocket watch in his pants pocket and attaching the chain to his pants. This was going to be a long night.