Chapter 12: Memory

The Pink Dormitory

Chapter 12: Memory

The girls rushed over, shocked at the situation that happened in a flash. Eunji who remembered learning CPR back in her middle-school days went to Naeun's side, her hands pumping onto her chest as she placed her lips directly onto Naeun's giving her air. The others could only look on, while Hayoung was frozen, traumatised at what had happened.

Suddenly, Naeun coughed as she took a deep breath. Luckily, she didn't inhale much water and therefore was safe. The girls sighed in relief, as Naeun took a moment to realise the whole situation. 

"We should take you to the hospital first." said Bomi as she helped Naeun to stand.

"No, it's fine unnie. Thanks...." said Naeun who was still in state of shock.

"We'll head home first. Let's go." sighed Chorong as her eyes were full of worry, taking a peek at Hayoung who remained silent the entire while. As the six girls walked towards the pathway, Namjoo and Bomi went to borrow towels to wrap over two soaked girls, afraid they might catch a cold. There was tense atmosphere on the way back as everyone was still in shock of what had happened, Eunji who saved Naeun wasn't her usual self as she didn't spoke a single word after that.

As they arrived home, Chorong explained the whole story to Eunji's mother while Naeun and Hayoung went to take a hot shower. Namjoo followed along to assist Hayoung due to her injuries. Meanwhile, the three older girls sat in the living room with silence. Chorong glanced at Eunji who seemed a bit strange, Bomi who noticed this gestured to follow her to a quiet place.

"What is it Bomi-ya?" asked Chorong in curiousity.

"I feel that you should hear of this first before asking Eunji anything." said Bomi as seriousness filled her eyes. It was clear she was not playing around.

"I'm listening Bomi-ya"

"As you know, Eunji and I are childhood friends. But when were younger, it wasn't just the two of us. There was one more girl who played along." said Bomi as she frowned, remembering a memory she didn't want to see again. But, she felt the warmth touch of Chorong's hand interwining her fingers as a sign telling her that it's alright.

"The three of us went to the same school together, we even dreamed of going to Seoul together but...." Recalling back those memories, her eyes began to feel watery. Chorong who saw this, gently wiped her tears with her hands and gave a smile filled of courage telling Bomi to continue.

"But one day, the three of us went to the beach to play. That's when the same thing happened today but....that girl didn't come back. She was never found." After hearing those words, Chorong gasped and fully understood the whole situation. 

"Thank you for telling me Bomi-ya, it must have hurt to remember that memory again." said Chorong, pulling Bomi into her embrace. The younger girl only smiled, happy to be in the comfort of the older girl.

"I want to hug you forever..." mumbled Bomi to herself.

"You were saying something Bomi?"

"No, nothing unnie." smiled Bomi, as if nothing happened.

The two girls then returned to the living room where Eunji was, but suddenly Bomi pulled Chorong back after noticing Eunji's mom chatting with her. The two hid behind the wall, eavesdropping the conversation between the daughter and mother.

"I warned you already not to go to the beach but you still insisted, you said the girls haven't been there in awhile now look what happened. " scolded the woman, who looked on with a frown.

"I'm sorry mom. I won't let the same thing happen twice." said Eunji, avoiding eye contact with her mother.

"What are you going to do if the same thing happened with Yookyung? Are you going to take responsibilty?" Upon the mention of her name, Eunji froze. It was unavoidable as Eunji's mother began to remind her of the incident that should never be spoken about.

Memories of that day came rushing back, it was a horrible memory that Eunji wanted to bury away forever. It had been over seven years since Yookyung's passing, her body was never found and there was a makeshift grave made for her instead. Her cause of death was said to be "accidental drowning" but in actual truth, Eunji was the one who killed her by accident. The two girls were playing with each other until a sudden wave strom came through, pulling the girls into the depths of the sea. Nothing could be done back then, the girl was too young, too naive to know what was happening and the blame was instead placed on her mother. There was a lot of struggles back then, but Yookyung parents accepted the fact that their daughter was no longer with them and didn't blame Eunji for their loss.

This was the very reason why Eunji moved out of Busan, heading to Seoul together with Bomi so that she could recover her trauma and hopefully forgive her own sins. Recovery was well on it's way as moving through the years, she found friends whom she could consider as family which helped her to break the trauma running inside her. But ever since the incident that happened that day, the trauma that Eunji had buried deep inside came back, slowly sinking through her mind. The thought of losing Naeun, was far painful to watch.

"I'm sorry. From now on, I'll never step foot on the beach ever again." said Eunji, wiping her tears away.

"I'm not saying that you've done something wrong Eunji-ya. I don't want you to forbide yourself from the beach as if you are some criminal. Just be careful, alright?" sighed her mother, giving her a long embrace.

The two girls who heard the whole conversation, didn't know what to do especially for Chorong, who didn't know of Eunji's dark past. Bomi took a glance at Chorong, whose eyes were watery. Indeed, the soft-hearted girl cried easily and Bomi knew it from start that she would swear to herself to protect her unnie at any costs.

~X~

The sun began to set as Eunji's mother began to prepare dinner while the girls were ordered to stay at home. After what happened, they weren't allowed to go outside. The girls gathered at the living room, staring at each other out of boredom. There was no television, no radio, nothing that screamed of entertainment.

"We're heading back to Seoul tommorow so sleep early." said Chorong.

"It's a Tuesday tommorow, so i have three more days to submit my artwork.." mumbled Naeun, counting the days with her fingers.

"Can I just skip classes tommorow?" joked Bomi with a smile, which resulted Chorong glaring at her.

"If you do that, you won't live." joked Eunji, her normal self was back.

"Of course...I can already feel the devil staring at me" joked Bomi who got hit in return by Chorong, causing Eunji to break into a laugh. 

Soon, dinner was served with yet another bountiful meal filled of home-made Busan delicacies. Everyone ate their fill and headed straight to sleep as ordered by Chorong because they had to catch the earliest train at 5am. It was amazing how a small room could fit all six girls, traditional houses sure work wonders. One by one, the girls fell deep into their sleep. Hayoung hugged Namjoo like a pillow, while Bomi was all over the place, her leg was suddenly across Chorong's body. Naeun on the other hand slept comfortably without any disturbance as she took the corner, however she turned to her side and realised Eunji wasn't there.

Carefully and silently, Naeun walked out of the room searching for her. Moving past the other bedroom where Eunji's mother was, leading into the living room and kitchen it was empty. She took a peek outside the window and there she was, Eunji sitting on a bench inside a small garden.

"Isn't it cold out here? Why don't you head in?" asked Naeun as she walked towards her, sitting down side by side.

"What about you then? Aren't you cold coming out here?" said Eunji with a smile.

"I asked first" pouted Naeun.

"Alright. You win." chuckled Eunji as she looked up at the night sky, scattered with yellow stars. There was a momentary silence as Naeun looked at Eunji, waiting for her to answer her question.

"It's about Yookyung isn't it." said Naeun, unable to hold her patience. Upon hearing that, Eunji's smile dissapeared.

"It's was an accident I know but, if I didn't dive in what will become of Hayoung? I am the only one who knew how to swim, I had to save her no matter what."

"That's why...I can't have you risking your life. I need to protect you Naeun-ah, you are anemic and frail, I can't have you doing things that will exceed your limits."

"Unnie, there are times when I want to overcome myself. Just because I'm anemic doesn't mean I have to be treated like a sick person. I want and can do things at my own will. I chose to save Hayoung, I chose to risk myself."

"I won't let the same thing happen again. I won't let what happened to Yookyung, happen to you. That's why, I can't let you go on the beach anymore. I can't let you."

"Why are you so protective? Why are you locking me up as if I commited something wrong? Just because I drowned in the water, I can't step a single foot on the beach again? I don't-"

"It's because I love you!" blurted Eunji out of frustration. Upon realising what she said, Eunji covered in shock. Naeun too, froze in surprise. 

 

[END OF CHAPTER 12]

 

A/N: Eunji's sudden confession?! Thank you for reading and subscribing, sorry if were expecting some Chomi but this chapter is supposed to be focused on Eunji's story so yeah..><;; Unfortunately, I won't be able to update daily now. :( I'll work hard to have the next chapter up soon!