Chapter 19: Lost

The Pink Dormitory

Chapter 19: Lost

"What do you have in mind?" asked Chorong as the five unnies surrounded the living room, wondering where their maknae could have went. 

"I've known Hayoung the longest and I know for sure, there is only three things we can assume." said Eunji with confidence as she opened her phone, revealing the girl's last conversation on their group chat. Hayoung was last online two hours ago, which was strange as she was always the first one to respond.

"One. She's still at the internet cafe. Namjoo wouldn't find her because concidences can happen in which Hayoung went to the toilet when Namjoo was there. Two, Hayoung went to her school to practice but she would've told us before hand unless there was something urgent. Or the final one, something really happened to her. I hope it's not the last one." said Eunji as her smile dissapeared. The girls then decided to seperate themselves into groups, the unnie-line Chorong, Bomi and Eunji went to the internet cafe while Naeun and Namjoo headed to the school.

The internet cafe was nearby the dorm, just a couple minutes of walk away where the three unnies entered into a small walkway where there were a few stores. It was Hayoung's second home, the gaming cafe. As it was dark, most of the shops were closed. Carefully, they entered the cafe which was a strange world for the girls who wasn't a fan of video gaming. Only Eunji was familiar as she often played multiplayer games with Hayoung whenever they were free.

"Excuse me uncle, is Hayoung inside?" asked Eunji to the man at the counter. 

"No, she went out long time ago." said the man, as he reached inside his pocket for a cigar. Upon seeing that, Chorong became worried at the kind of environment the maknae was in. The image of people smoking meant dangerous people to the worried older girl.

"How long ago was that? Do you remember uncle?" asked Bomi.

"I think three hours ago. It was when the sun was still out." 

"I see, thank you." said Bomi as the three girls left the dark-looking cafe with only lights from the computers.

"Guess she's somewhere else." sighed Eunji as she opened her phone.

"Hayoung always comes here?" asked Chorong, taking another look at the internet cafe, which didn't look very trustworthy.

"Why? Do you wanna play some games too?" asked Bomi.

"Obviously not." sighed Chorong. "This place looks dangerous for an 18-year old girl to be around..."

"The neighbourhood's safe unnie, don't worry." smiled Bomi, putting her arm over Chorong's shoulder.

"Hey lovebirds, we should get going to school. I think Hayoung might be there." said Eunji, uncomfortable with the Bomi's action.

"You're just jealous that Naeun isn't here aren't you?" smirked Bomi, playfully bringing Chorong closer.

"Aish Yoon Bomi seriously, you wanna fight?" 

"Nope, sorry let's go."

~X~

Meanwhile, the school is already closed and Naeun and Namjoo helped each other to climb over the gates. It definitely felt a bit spooky as it was dark and quiet, not a single noise was made. The two girls held hands with each other as they went inside, checking out the classrooms on the first floor. The two used the light from their phone to make their vision better, but passing by each rooms there was nothing. It would take forever if they went around the entire school.

"What do we do unnie?" asked Namjoo as the two girls stopped to rest in her classroom, D-14.

"Do you think Hayoung might be hiding somewhere? Is there any place that would come to your mind?" asked Naeun.

"But i don't think she's in school though..there's no one here..."

"Are you sure about that?"

"Wait!" said Namjoo as something went through her mind.

"What?"

"We haven't check the dance room."

"Where is it?"

"I honestly don't want to go there, it's on the seventh floor." said Namjoo with a nervous laughter.

"Namjoo-ya, we have to do it even if we hate it."

"Fine, let's go unnie."

With much effort and sweat, the two girls slowly climbed flights of stairs until it reached the seventh floor of the high school. It was definitely quiet, it made them wonder whether Hayoung was really in the school. However, in the midst of the dark hallway there was an echo of some kind of music playing.

"Unnie...I'm scared..." said Namjoo, holding tightly onto her unnie's hand.

"I'm scared too..." said Naeun as the two girls carefully took one step forward. Suddenly, Namjoo's phone suddenly rang which frightened the two of them.

"H-Hello? Unnie?" said Namjoo as she picked up.

"Namjoo-ya, we're outside the school. Where are you?" asked Eunji.

"On the seventh floor of Block B. Come up, it's too scary for the two of us."

"Ok, we're coming."

The two girls waited until they were reunited with the others. Namjoo hugged her three unnies upon meeting them, as if she was seperated for years. They too, heard the echo of music coming across the hallway.

"It really is scary...." said Chorong slightly scared.

"It's ok, I'm here." said Bomi holding hands with her.

"Are you okay Naeun-ah?" asked Eunji as she too held her hands.

"Unnies, who's going to hold my hand then?" said Namjoo with a pout, jealous at the sight of two couples that stole her attention.

"Ah, sorry Namjoo-ya." laughed Bomi as the unnies squeezed Namjoo in the middle, so that she wouldn't feel left out. Then, the group proceeded to walk slowly across the hallway, towards the direction of the music. As expected, it came from the dance room. Slowly, they opened the door and sighed in relief. There she was, the missing maknae who was soaked in sweat, face all red, and continue to dance in front the mirror. There was only one light amongst the six other lights which made the room quite dim. The music was played from Hayoung's phone placed on the floor and the maknae did not notice the unnies who quietly watch her.

"Told you there was nothing to worry about." whispered Bomi.

"But she would've told us if she was in the school right?" whispered Chorong.

"Hayoung's is forgetful sometimes, i'll give her a good lesson later." whispered Eunji.

The unnies were engrossed in Hayoung's elegant dance, movements that had a mixture of y and cute. Anyone could tell she was born to dance. But, Hayoung started to breathe heavily, her movements began to be slower and before anyone could react, the maknae fell and fainted onto the floor due to overexhuastion. Immediately, everyone ran to her, surprised. It was a good thing the unnies were there otherwise, no one would've known what would happened.

The girls headed straight back to the dorm while Eunji piggybacked Hayoung who was soaked in sweat. Eunji had insisted to shower Hayoung by herself in her unconcious state, changing her clothes and washing her as if it was a normal thing to do. Chorong who looked on, was impressed as Eunji's skills as she wouldn't know what to do if she were to do it. Eunji skillfully wore over a new set of clothes over Hayoung and later, carrying her onto the bed. Rest was what the maknae needed however, Chorong was worried about other things. Just to check, she placed her hand over Hayoung's forehead and it was just as she had predicted. Hayoung's forehead was hot.

"Eunji-ya, Hayoung's caught a fever." 

"Alright, Bomi and I will go to the nearby pharmacy and get the things."

"What? Hayoung caught a fever?" said Namjoo who heard it from the other room, bringing Naeun along who heard it too.

Even though it was a fever, the unnies were worried about the maknae's condition. Even though her injuries from before had already healed, she was already onto another sickness. They knew how hardworking Hayoung was who was excited that she could dance again, but her enthusiasm brought carelessness and ignorance to her own health resulting in her current condition. By the time Bomi and Eunji returned from the pharmacy, they recorded her temparature which was a high 39 celsius and debated whether to bring her to the doctor.

However, according to Chorong's orders, they had decided to wait for Hayoung to wake up while having a cold, wet cloth over her forehead. They turned the temperature of the air conditioner to the lowest, and took turns checking on the maknae.

"I swear once Hayoung wakes up, I'm going to give her a good earful." sighed Eunji who meddled with her phone as there was nothing to do but wait.

"You said you knew Hayoung since she was a small little girl?" asked Chorong.

"When I first came into this dorm, Hayoung was the only resident there. It was really, really strange considering the fact that she didn't have any parents."

[FLASHBACK TO 10 YEARS AGO]

"Hello? Is there anyone there? I think I came to the right place?" said a young girl who spoke in a casual Busan accent, standing in front of the door that wrote "Pink Dormitory". She had pressed the door bell several times, but there was no answer. Coming all the way from Busan, she was new to Seoul and didn't know what to do. Without hesitation, she reached for the door knob and it opened.

"Hey...the door is unlocked. I'm coming in alright?" said the girl who entered the empty dorm, only to see a young child in the corner, her face hiding between her knees. Slightly confused, the girl went towards the child who was crying.

"Hey? Why are you crying? Is there something wrong?"

"No..my teacher scolded me today. She said I was lying when I was saying the truth.."

"What do you mean?"

"Teacher asked us in class today to write about our family but....I don't have a family. I don't have a dad or a mom..." Upon hearing those words, the girl's heart fell. As someone who had her own family back in Busan, she felt that she wanted to take care of this girl who seemed to live in this big dorm all by herself.

"Then I'll become your family then! I'm going to live here anyway so, I'll take care of you! I'm Jung Eunji! What's your name?" said the girl who smiled, wiping the tears of the girl.

"Hayoung...Oh Hayoung...."

From that day, Eunji began to take care of Hayoung like her own sister. She never really questioned the mystery why Hayoung lived in that dorm all by herself and it will still remain a mystery until today. For over one year, the two bonded with each other, spending time like a real family. It was only then that, Eunji invited Bomi over to Seoul and it made the dorm even livelier. Along the years, the two unnies had seen Hayoung grow not just in terms of height, but also her personality. It was only then, when Hayoung entered high school that Naeun and Namjoo began to live in the dorm before Chorong came in a few years later which is the present today.

[END OF FLASHBACK]

"Wow, I didn't know there was such history behind all this" said Chorong who listened to Eunji's stories.

"Well, I was the mother until you took over the role unnie. And I'm glad you did." laughed Eunji.

"Hey, what's that supposed to mean?"

"Nothing, I'm just glad you're the mother now." giggled Eunji.

"Bomi-ya, if you want to sleep, you should sleep in your room." said Chorong to Bomi who was also listening to Eunji but eventually, fell asleep on her lap.

"No...I don't like sleeping on my own bed..." mumbled Bomi.

"Then go sleep in mine then. I won't be sleeping anyway." sighed Chorong as she decided to stay all night, watching over Hayoung until she wakes up.

"Good night~" mumbled Bomi as she walked into Chorong's room, spending her night there.

"It's okay unnie, we will take turns so you should sleep first." said Eunji.

"You have school tommorow."

"You have work tommorow." said Eunji back.

"You got me..." sighed Chorong, unable to fight back.

While everyone else was asleep, Chorong and Eunji took turns looking after the maknae at one hour intervals. It went on like that for about two hours until the two girls lost and fell asleep in the end. Soon enough, it was the next day. Chorong who realised that she fell asleep that night immediately opened her eyes and gasped at the sight she awoke to.

Hayoung was gone.

[END OF CHAPTER 19]

 

A/N: Oh dear, Hayoung just keeps dissapearing. Any guesses why? Still lots of mysteries left unanswered ;) Thank you for reading and subscribing! I'll see you in the next chapter soon! :)