Chapter 5: Courage

The Pink Dormitory

Chapter 5: Courage

With her hand held onto hers, it was filled with warmth and comfort. With each step, the three girls ran forward escaping the reach of Naeun's father who was no longer in sight. The three girls were now far from the campus, halfway in the middle of the road that lead to the dorm. Exhuasted from running, they took light, fast steps. With one hand, Eunji wiped Naeun's tears while the other held tightly onto her hands.

"It's alright Naeun-ah. I'm here." said Eunji with a smile.

"Hey, what about me?" pouted Bomi feeling left out.

"You too." chuckled Eunji.

The three girls had known each other for about five years, they knew about each other like the back of their heads and understood their pasts no matter how twisted it was. As unnies, they wanted to protect her and only saw her father as their only enemy. This wasn't the first time they have confronted the man who kept pleading, wishing to talk to Naeun properly for the first time. 

"By the way, we're having a guest tonight right? That means free food!" grinned Bomi, trying to liven the atmosphere.

"You're going to gain weight again. Didn't the lecturer said at the physical examination that you had to maintain yourself?" asked Eunji.

"It's okay, I can always exercise. Were you busy finishing your piece again Naeun-ah?" asked Bomi, turning the direction to the girl who calmed down.

Naeun replied with a nod accompanied with a smile.

"I've seen artists get paint marks on their face but how come you don't have one?" teased Eunji, lightly pulling Naeun's cheek.

"I do~it's just that I clean it off before I leave..." pouted Naeun. The two unnies smiled seeing that Naeun back to her normal self.

Soon, the three arrived home in which they were introduced to Huh Gak, Chorong's CEO of a broadcasting company. Hayoung and Namjoo were already busy feasting off the fried chicken that he brought in while Chorong was watching the television, deciding to only eat once the everyone had returned home.

"I can just call you Gak-oppa right? Thanks for the chicken!" grinned Bomi, her fingers automatically reaching for the chicken.

"Finally someone the same height as me! Thanks for the food!" smiled Eunji.

"Thanks for the food" said Naeun as everyone gathered at the table.

Huh Gak only stared in awe at how well the kids ate, each piece of chicken dissapearing one by one. He sighed and laughed nervously, they definitely weren't normal kids.

"Uncle, where did you buy this chicken from? It's delicious than any other chickens I've eaten!" mumbled Bomi who was still chewing.

"Chew your food before you talk." sighed Huh Gak.

"But uncle, you look kinda cute." laughed Eunji.

"That's right, I thought I was the only one!" said Hayoung in agreement, exchanging a high five with Eunji.

Chorong who saw this situation could only laugh. The boss she knew at work was a strict, fearful man who controled his employees. But here, his image is instantly shattered as he is teased by girls at an age where they could be his daughters. After a satisfying meal thanks to Huh Gak, the girls bowed and gave their thanks.

"Glad to know you enjoyed your meal girls. I guess I'll be going now." said Huh Gak as he headed to the door.

"But we will meet you again right, uncle?" asked Namjoo.

"You'll treat us delicious food again right?" asked Hayoung.

"You still haven't told me where you got this chicken from" asked Bomi.

Slightly overwhelmed by the questions from the young girls, Huh Gak could only sigh as he took his time answering each of their questions. They were definitely a happy group of children after hearing that he would come again. Huh Gak realised that even though at times they can be annoying and noisy, he somehow finds happiness seeing them happy like a father. It's a strange feeling, their bright personalities were unlike other. 

Once Huh Gak finally left with much difficulty, it was late night and the girls had school again the next day. Chorong had a idea and asked each of the girl's schedule, plotting out a huge timetable of all five girls so that she could check where everyone was. Rather than a duty of a caretaker, it was more like the duties of a mother raising five young girls. They took turns washing up, Chorong being last and by the time she finished everyone was in their rooms. Before she would sleep, Chorong would check each of the four rooms to see if the girls were asleep.

Checking the first door, Namjoo was deep in her sleep. The next room however, Hayoung was still up engrossed in playing games on her phone.

"It's 1am Hayoung-ah and you have to wake up at 6am tommorow!" scolded Chorong.

"I'll go and sleep after one game! Promise!" pouted Hayoung. Chorong could only sigh as she left the room. Next was Eunji and Bomi's shared room, it was definitely messier than other rooms and neither girls were asleep. In fact, the moment she entered the room, the two friends were challenging each other who could do the most sit-ups. Indeed, it was not a feminine sight, more like boys playing together.

"Rong unnie! Want to join us?" grinned Bomi with interest.

"No. Go to sleep you sport-freaks." sighed Chorong, closing the door in reply.

The final room was Naeun's, it was the only room that had a particular smell of paint. She was still up, painting something on the canvas.

"Naeun-ah, don't you do anything else besides painting?"

"I draw too."

"I mean, something not related to art."

"Hmm, I've never really thought about it."

"But honestly Naeun-ah, if it weren't for your colourful paintings this room would be so gloomy." laughed Chorong in disbelief, everything else was black. Even the clothes Naeun wore everything consisted of the colour black, her bedsheets were black, her table was made of a black plastic material, even her cupboard is painted black.

"Unnie you can't say that. Namjoo's room is about the same, except it's all pink." laughed Naeun.

"Oh yeah, that's kinda true actually. I didn't notice that." said Chorong with a laugh.

"Actually unnie....I met my father today." said Naeun carefully.

"Tell me the details." said Chorong as she sat on the bed, ready to listen.

After explaining the whole situation which happened that evening, Chorong could only pat on her shoulders to comfort her.

"But unnie, after thinking for awhile. My father said something."

"What?"

"That he really wanted to have a proper talk with me. Somewhere in the middle, he said that my mom was suffering....but honestly I don't know anymore. Whenever I think of my father, that trauma comes back."

"Naeun-ah." said Chorong, placing her hand on her lap.

"I feel that you cannot continue to run away from your problems. You must confront and overcome your fears. I believe that people can change and your father is trying to do so step by step. Just give it a try, meet your father face-to-face and see what he has to say."

"But...what if I can't unnie? What if I just shut down and-"

"Don't meet your father alone. Go with someone whom you are comfortable with. Someone who can support you." Immediately after hearing Chorong's words, an image of Eunji appeared in Naeun's head. It was a mysterious feeling, the idea of Eunji by her side made all her troubles go away. After much thought, Naeun took a deep breath and looked into Chorong's eyes. 

"I'll give it a try, unnie."

~X~

The next morning, Naeun headed to her school as usual. At that hour, her father wasn't at the gate so there was no problems. In class, Naeun opened her phone and sent a message to Eunji.

"Unnie, are you free after your class today?" 

"It ends at 3pm today. Why?"

"Chorong unnie suggested that I should talk with my father. She said that I shouldn't always be running away but I can't do it by myself......"

"I'll come over at 2pm."

"But then, you'll miss your class."

"It's just some musical theories thing, kinda boring. See you later."

Now all that was left was time to pass, Naeun was sure that her father would come again at that exact time. She's been observing him all the time from the small window of her art room, where she would sometimes live there to finish up projects. She was afraid and full of anxiety, but what Chorong has said to her is true. Her father was no longer violent like last time, he was older and appeared weaker.

"Maybe, Chorong unnie is right." thought Naeun to herself.

At the same time in the Pink Dormitory, Chorong double-checked if anyone was still at home. She was sure that all the girls went to school today, going through each door. However, she was surprised to see Bomi still fast asleep. Wrapped beneath her blankets with the air-conditioner blowing straight at her, Chorong wondered whether she had class today. Taking a peek at the timetable she made last night, she was missing a class.

"Bomi-ya! Wake up, shouldn't you be at school?"

"I don't like that class so I'm not going~" mumbled Bomi, turning her head away.

"Even if you don't like it, it's part of your education. Wake up!" 

"No. I'll wake up if Rong unnie gives me a kiss on the cheek" grinned Bomi cheekily, with her eyes still shut.

Chorong sighed, slightly blushing at Bomi's sudden request. She was surprised how a 22-year old could still act like a 2 year old. She could hear the giggles from Bomi, as she stay still on the bed while purposefully revealing her face from the blanket.

"You're going to get it later..." mumbled Chorong to herself as she bent down, moving her face closer to Bomi's. For Bomi, she tried to control her smile, feeling the breath of Chorong under her cheeks. Soon, there was a soft, wet peck and a squeal that came later.

"Alright, I'm up!" grinned Bomi as she immediately woke up from the bed to see an angry Chorong staring at her, arms crossed.

"Oh, you want it too? Okay" joked Bomi as she gave a kiss on Chorong's cheek, which resulted in her getting beaten.

"W-What are you doing?!" yelled Chorong, her heart thumping in surprise.

"You seem to like it unnie. Don't lie~" grinned Bomi cheekily as she joyfully left the room to wash herself, celebrating her victory. Chorong was left confused at the younger girl's strange behaviour, she wondered whether she was like these to the other girls. Or it was just her, in particular. But, she could only chuckle at the thought of Bomi's satisfied face, which seemed rather cute in her eyes.

~X~

The clock struck 2pm and Eunji called Naeun on the phone, asking her where she was. The two met at the balcony, where they waited for Naeun's dad to arrive. While waiting, Naeun pondered whether to ask Eunji something as she kept looking at her. Looking at her stance, others would think that Eunji is boyish but for Naeun, she looked like a cool unnie. 

"You know Na- you want to say something?" asked Eunji who immediately noticed Naeun's behavior. Knowing Naeun's quiet personality, Eunji knew when she wanted to say something. It wasn't easy for her to speak and share her own thoughts, but gradually she began to open up to people thanks to Eunji's influence.

"About the other day when I fainted...."

"Oh yeah, that?"

"You were the one who applied the antiseptics on my body..." mumbled Naeun shyly, touching her body at the thought of Eunji undressing her.

"Ah, that? I mean, you were trying to hide your bruises and it's painful isn't it? Knowing how forgetful you are, you definitely won't take care of yourself properly. So, it was my duty to do that." said Eunji who suddenly bursted out in a Busan accent, speaking at a fast speed.

"Liar." giggled Naeun at Eunji. She knew that whenever Eunji lied or was nervous, her accent was casually come out and she would speak extremely fast.

"It's too obvious isn't it." laughed Eunji nervously.

"It's not that I felt uncomfortable or anything. I'm just thankful that you applied those to my bruises."

"Ah really...that's a relief..." mumbled Eunji to herself.

"Unnie, he's here." said Naeun as she saw from afar, the same black car arriving by the gate.

"Are you sure of this Naeun-ah? You've been running away from him all these while, if you really can't do this-"

"It's fine unnie. Because I'm with you, I can do it." smiled Naeun.

Eunji only replied with a smile, as she held onto her hands. The warmth that gathered around Naeun's hands gave her energy to walk. It was as if all of the fears that she had was gone, because there was Eunji by herself. She was no longer afraid because, Eunji was there.

"Then, let's go." said Eunji with a smile.

[END OF CHAPTER 5]

 

A/N: Sorry if it was too long and a bit boring :) Naeun's arc is almost finished, who's story do you think will be next? Thank you for reading and subscribing! Next chapter will be up soon!