Chapter 23: Recovery

The Pink Dormitory

Chapter 23: Recovery

The younger girl shivered and closed her eyes, afraid that Eunji would hit her, slap her but instead, her hand touched her cheeks. It was gentle, warm and loving.

"Good thing you're still in one piece." said Eunji as she looked at Hayoung, whose tears started to form in her eyes. Fear had consumed her so much that she thought that her unnie might actually kill her for real. She finally confronted the people she had been running away from, in order to achieve her own selfish goals. Because of this, the young girl felt guilty, pressured and scared.

"Why are you crying? Aigoo~this child" sighed Eunji with a smile as she hugged Hayoung. The older girl knew that she would be like that after all, this was the first time Hayoung did something wrong and unjustful. There was no reason for Eunji to scold the child after knowing the real truth behind her actions.

"Why are the both of you crying?" asked Naeun who turned to look at Namjoo who was still crying as well. The older girls glanced at each other, wondering what happened before Hayoung's confession but decided not to talk about it. What was more important was letting Hayoung know about her amnesia.

"I'm sorry unnie....i'm sorry....for just suddenly leaving like that.....for not telling you anything....i'm sorry for everything..." sobbed Hayoung who couldn't stop, deep inside she had mixed emotions of fear and gratitude. On one end, she missed her while the other, she was terrified of the consequences. She hugged her unnie back tightly, carelessly wiping her tears on Eunji's shirt and simply being in her unnie's comfort. Naeun on the other hand, went to Namjoo and tried to console her by pulling her into an embrace. The two older girls could do nothing but hold onto their dongsaengs, who shed tears. The day had been a long, tiring one but what mattered was that their loved maknae was finally back.

It was then, there was a knock on the door. It was Chorong and Bomi who finally caught up and witnessed the whole scene.

"W-What's happening? Why are you two crying?" asked Chorong, flustered at the situation. Bomi only broke into a laughter as she was the only one who found the situation hilarious.

"C-Chorong unnie..." stuttered Hayoung who felt small in front of Chorong. Strangely, she wasn't afraid of Bomi but it was the aura that Chorong had. The older girl looked at her and sighed.

"You sure made quite a mess maknae-ya. But you should've told us at first, the fact that you were asked to join some dance competition in return for information about your past." said Chorong as she crossed her arms.

"How did you know that unnie?' asked Hayoung, startled.

"We know everything Hayoung-ah." said Bomi.

"Your friends helped us out, but you shouldn't go and kill them later for revealing it." said Eunji.

"But first, we need to ask you something Hayoung-ah." said Chorong as she sat down, holding hands with the maknae.

"What is it unnie?' asked Hayoung as she calmed down, realising that Chorong wasn't here to scold her.

"You need to speak the truth okay? Has there ever been a time when you felt something painful in your head? Something that hurts?" asked Chorong, looking into the maknae's eyes that avoided her. There was silence upon her question.

"Hayoung-ah...." said Namjoo who finally stopped crying and was in Naeun's arms.

"...Yes. I..did feel pain before, several times actually. But I didn't tell you, not even one of the unnies because I didn't want to trouble you. I didn't want to worry anyone and tried to endure it by myself..." confessed Hayoung with caution. The unnies who listened looked at each other, they knew about her amnesia and didn't know how to explain it to the younger girl. Namjoo on the other hand, had no idea what was going on thus, Naeun quietly pulled her outside the ward and told everything.

"Hayoung-ah." said Chorong calmly, still holding the maknae's hands.

"W-What's wrong unnie?" asked Hayoung nervously. Everyone was looking at her, as if they were onto something. She was clueless and scared.

"We need to tell you this, but you will feel pain. A lot, of pain." 

"W-What? It's okay unnie, please tell me everything that I need to know." 

"You have amnesia."

Upon Chorong's words, the maknae felt a sudden pain striking into her head. She was confused and it felt like the world was turning. At the very thought of amnesia, the image of Sojin appeared. A sudden rush of memories went thorough her head, it wasn't clear but Hayoung managed to grasp something. She tightened the grip onto Chorong's hand as she tried to sustain the pain, while searching through her head for an answer.

"Hayoung-ah, hang in there. It hurts, but I'm sure you will find something." said Chorong as the others looked on. Their hearts hurt to see their youngest in pain, but there was nothing they could do. This was her own battle, even when Chorong and Bomi consulted with the nurse on the way here, the only way to cure amnesia is to try and get her memories back.

It was clear now, Hayoung remembered her childhood. The fire that killed her own family, her memories staying with Sojin as a child and the short events of the car accident, everything had finally came back. She wasn't an orphan in the first place, she was sent there and raised into who she is now. It was then, the pain finally subsided and Hayoung's vision became clear again.

"Unnie, where is Sojin unnie?" asked Hayoung urgently.

"I'm sorry Hayoung-ah. Sojin told us to stop you, from finding her. She's gone somewhere really far away. Even if you go to the same watch shop from before, she won't be there."

"Huh? What do you mean unnie?"

"The Hayoung now and the Hayoung before is different. This was all she said, the words she wanted to tell you. Now that you have your memories back, Sojin wanted you to live life as freely as you want."

It was at that moment, the nurse came in with a report in her hand.

"Sorry for interrupting but I believe that all of you know about Hayoung's amnesia? I'm afraid that she will have to be hospitalised a week so that she can recover as there are still many side effects that can happen. Amnesia patients are very rare therefore, we need to take a very careful look at her." said the nurse, as she changed the IV drip on Hayoung.

"Alright, please take good care of her." said Chorong as she bowed while the nurse left the ward.

"One week? But then, what about the festival?" asked Namjoo.

"It's okay unnie, I can make it. Don't worry." said Hayoung with a smile.

"Then, what about that dance competition thing that Sojin asked you to join?" asked Bomi.

"Dancing with Namjoo unnie at the festival is more important of course! I don't need the that competition anymore since I have my memories back." Upon hearing Hayoung's words, Namjoo's heart felt lighter and relieved. In the end, the maknae put her first before anything else.

~X~

Within that one week, the unnies each took turns visiting Hayoung at the hospital. Ever since that day, the maknae had never once mentioned about Sojin and decided to live her life by her words. Several tests were run through Hayoung to ensure that there was no other side effects and had to take pills for precaution. Her suspension was almost lifted and by the time she was released from the hospital, it was time for the festival. The maknae was now fully recovered from her fever, injuries and amnesia.

The festival was on a weekend so the unnies could attend it without worrying about their college or work. There was a parade of food stalls across the school courtyard, mini-game stalls at the side and a full sea of people as a huge empty stage took the center spot.

"What time did Namjoo said they were performing?" asked Eunji.

"She just texted us to get the front seats. It's starting soon." said Naeun.

"You two save the spots first, Bomi wants to grab a hotdog." said Chorong as she was mercilessly pulled away by the excited younger girl.

Meanwhile in a classroom somewhere, Namjoo and Hayoung were still practicing their final dance movements along with their other group members. They were dressed in a cheer-leader-like costume that revealed their stomaches.

"So after this part, I move over here right?" asked Hayoung as she took a step at the side.

"Yeah and for the chorus part..." The two girls were too engrossed into perfecting their moves because their unnies were going to watch them. Soon, one of their friends signalled that it was time for their dance. Moving towards the stage that was now crowded, Hayoung and Namjoo held hands with each other. They looked at each other and smiled while Hayoung mouthed "Fighting" as they went up on stage. Their group positioned and soon, the song started to play.

The unnies who sat at the front were amazed watching their performance, it was powerful yet y. Anyone could tell from afar that among the members who danced, Hayoung and Namjoo stood out the most who had charisma and charms. It was the summer festival and the excitement was hot, people screamed and cheered. Those nine minutes of dance will forever be a memory engraved into the two maknae's hearts. Even though this would be the last time Namjoo would get to perform in a stage like this, she had no regrets because she was doing it with Hayoung. 

~X~

Days after the summer festival, Hayoung was now back at school. She was greeted by her friends whom she had missed, being applauded for her bravery to protect Namjoo and now she had a new nickname that circulated around the school that was "Scary Hayoung". Although she didn't like it at first, but the maknae gained more recognition because of this. People weren't scared of her but instead looked up to her as a figure with respect. Many people from different classes would visit Hayoung during breaks, all wanting to know more about her and tried to be her friends.

Of course, Namjoo who saw this felt jealous. She walked into Hayoung's classroom and pulled the younger girl out who seemed to enjoy talking with her new group of friends. She took her into a quiet hallway, crossed her arms and stared at her.

"What is it unnie? Something wrong?"

"Shouldn't you know what's making me unhappy?" said Namjoo with a pout.

"Ah....is it because people are coming after me now? Because I have new friends?" said Hayoung with a nervous laughter.

"Those girls were touching you here and there, bringing you to places without me knowing, who knows what else they will do next!" said Namjoo who was frustrated. Hayoung only smiled, watching her reaction.

"What? What are you smiling at?"

"You're jealous aren't you unnie?"

"No! I'm mad because I can't protect you like that!"

"Don't lie~you're jealous~" teased Hayoung with a bright grin as she wrapped her arms around Namjoo's waist. Namjoo was speechless, her face was all red and she tried to avoid eye contact with the girl. It was then, Hayoung lightly pecked the older girl's forehead with a smile.

"There's only you in my eyes unnie, no one else." smiled Hayoung. Upon her words, Namjoo's heartbeat began to rise.

"Y-You sure?"

"Of course! I have to go now, my class will be starting soon. See you afterwards, alright?" smiled Hayoung as she playfully moved Namjoo's lips into a smile while walking away.

"What am I suppose to say if you say things like that?" mumbled Namjoo as she looked at Hayoung's figure that slowly dissapeared into the hallway.

~X~

The hot summer days are slowly going away as autumn has arrived, life at the Pink Dormitory had been usual the past few weeks. Bomi was now sleeping with Chorong as she had always made up new excuses to not sleep in her own room, Hayoung and Namjoo had to prepare for their final year exams so they were often at school for late night classes, Naeun was now enjoying a long semester break while Eunji and Bomi also had to prepare for their examinations. Chorong on the other hand, lived a stressful life. Work had not been easy especially when her office was moved to Seoul, she was busy than ever.

The older girl stayed overnight at her office countless of times, finishing up her work and often coming home to see Bomi sleeping on her bed. To her, this was now a normal thing to see. Often, Chorong came home late and only had about three hours of sleep before returning back to work.

One day at Bomi and Eunji's college, the same-aged friends hanged out together for lunch. But, Bomi didn't seem to be in a good mood and instead placed her head on the table with a pout.

"What's with you today Bomi-ya? You haven't even touch the food on your plate." asked Eunji.

"Chorong unnie seems to be in such a bad mood these days." pouted Bomi.

"She's probably having a hard time at work."

"She doesn't even answer my questions properly anymore, she's always sighing and telling me that I'm annoying. She wasn't like that before....."

"Don't be so down Bomi-ya, she's just having a really hard time at work. Shouldn't you, as a girlfriend be her source of support and make her happy?"

"Oh~Jung Eunji~Since when did you give out love advice huh?" teased Bomi, hinting at her relationship with Naeun.

"Please, I'm just helping you out cause you're just a pabo." sighed Eunji sarcastically.

~X~

That night, Chorong came back late again. The tired girl entered the dormitory quietly so that she wouldn't disturb the girls who were deep in her sleep. It was another long, rough day as she was scolded several times by her superiors and things just didn't seem to go well at all. She thought to herself that luck probably wasn't by her side.

After washing up and getting ready to sleep, she smiled at Bomi who was comfortably asleep with her two hands wide open. Sometimes she wondered whether Bomi was really 22 years old or still, just a kid. Carefully, she went onto the bed and wrapped her arms around Bomi like it was her pillow.

"How was your day today unnie?" mumbled Bomi who was awake.

"Did I wake you up?"

"No, I was waiting for you to come back."

"Thanks Bomi-ya, you should go back to sleep."

"If there's anything stressful or worrying, you can always tell me alright?" mumbled Bomi as she turned around, hugging Chorong back. The girl could only smile, wrapping herself in the comfort of the younger girl's arms.

"Promise that you won't leave me." mumbled Bomi who seemed to be in her state of unconciousness.

"I won't. Promise." whispered Chorong. As Bomi slowly fell deep into her dream land, Chorong stared at the sleeping girl. She looked deeply into her face, capturing every single details like her eyes, nose and lips. But, the older girl's smile dissapeared as she looked at the letter she just brought back from her office, laying on the table. She wondered about it for awhile, thoughts that kept her awake at 5am. With a silent kiss on Bomi's cheek, the older girl finally slept, coming into a conclusion after her thinking.

The next morning, Bomi felt something missing in her touch. She opened her eyes slowly and noticed that Chorong was gone. It didn't really bothered her as she was sure that, Chorong would be in the kitchen. Slowly, the younger girl woke up and headed outside only to be confused. There was no one in the kitchen. She then checked the toilet, wondering if Chorong was brushing her teeth but still, nothing. Flustered, Bomi headed back into her own room where Eunji was and shook her same-age friend violently.

"Eunji-ya! Wake up! Wake up!" said Bomi in panic.

"Huh? What?" mumbled Eunji as she rubbed her eyes.

"Chorong unnie's gone!" Eunji simply stared at her dumbfoundedly.

"Don't lie. She's probably just in the kitchen making some food. She sent you here to wake me up that's why." sighed Eunji, not believing her and turned around.

"No! Wake up Eunji-ya!" said Bomi, frustrated as she shook her friend again.

"I'm not gonna believe that! Let me sleep!" whined Eunji, covering her face with the pillow.

"Ah, seriously! There's no one in the kitchen! I checked everywhere! Chorong unnie is gone!"

There was a silence. Eunji opened her eyes and stared at Bomi.

"Are you serious?"

[END OF CHAPTER 23]

 

A/N: And of course, there's only one person's story left. Park Chorong~ Did that letter she received had a connection into her dissapearence? Thank you for reading and subscribing! I apologize that I didn't update in awhile, I honestly did get stuck writing the story haha....i'll try my best to have the next chapter up soon! :)