Chapter 10: Home

The Pink Dormitory

Chapter 10: Home

Busan could only mean one place, Eunji's hometown. The fact that not Eunji herself went, but all four girls went together as a whole meant that something was serious especially if they didn't answer their phones. It would take a two hour train ride and as it was already night, the two older girls had to rush for the last train that left at 10pm. They didn't even took time to eat nor shower and found themselves all alone on the train, no one else but them. Everything was silence besides the noise of the railway tracks, Chorong who was overwhelmed with worries stayed awake and watched the night outside the window.

"Unnie, you should sleep." said Bomi, gently placing her head on Chorong's shoulders.

"How can sleep when I'm worrying so much about them?" sighed Chorong.

"Who knows, they're probably just hanging around in Eunji's house, eating and sleeping. Don't worry too much and sleep unnie."

"And all of you have school tommorow, while I have work. What if something really happens and we have to stay in Busan?"

"Unnie." said Bomi as she lifted her head, turned around and placed her two hands gently around Chorong's cheeks while staring deeply into her eyes.

"Remember what I said, you're not alone. Even I'm worried too but there's no point thinking about it. So, please rest as much as you can alright?" said Bomi with a smile.

"Thanks Bomi-ya, without you I wouldn't know what to do." said Chorong as her frown broke into a smile.

"Then...." said Bomi with a smirk. Her finger pointed towards her cheek.

"Can I get a reward for that?" grinned Bomi. Chorong broke into a dolphin-like scream, rejecting everything with her body. But, looking at the young girl who seemed elated at the thought of a kiss, there was no other option. Swiftly and quickly, Chorong planted a kiss on Bomi's cheek before hiding herself, wiping her lips and covering .

"Thank you unnie~" grinned Bomi, satisfied as she proceeded to cover Chorong's mouth with her hand and kissed on it.

"W-What was that supposed to be?" stuttered Chorong in embarassment as her face started to turn red.

"Me thanking for the kiss. Let's sleep now unnie." said Bomi, still grinning as widely as ever as she proceeded to cuddle herself to sleep while holding onto Chorong's arm like a pillow. The older girl could only sigh, falling asleep slowly with thoughts of Bomi's sudden kiss.

~X~

Meanwhile at the same time, in the middle of a neighbourhood somewhere in Busan were two girls huffing in exhaustion. They looked up the flights of stairs that they had to climb, while one girl was carrying four bags over her two shoulders. It was dark and cold, with only a sole lamp post showing the path.

"Is this how Eunji unnie became so athletic?" sighed Namjoo as she paused, wiping her sweat. She placed the bags on the floor, and took her breath.

"Unnie, I should really help you with those bags..." said Hayoung, feeling sorry due to her injuries.

"No. I will never let you. Even climbing these stairs are already difficult for you, i won't let you be in anymore pain."

"But unnie, I already said I'm fine..." pouted Hayoung, touching her bandaged arm.

"Stop lying." sighed Namjoo as she lightly kicked Hayoung's feet which resulted her shouting in pain.

"See." warned Namjoo, staring at the girl who rubbed her feet in order to ease the pain.

"Fine, you win this time unnie." pouted Hayoung as the two started to walk up the stairs one by one.

After much difficulty, the girls finally reached the entrance of Eunji's house that was cramped into between several other houses on the top of the Busan hills. It was rather small, shanty but gave the feeling of home. They rang the bell, in which a lady in her mid-40's appeared who only gasped staring at Hayoung.

"Oh my, what happened to you the last I saw you Hayoung-ah? You poor child, come on in. It must've been a hard journey walking up all those stairs." said the lady, breaking into a Busan accent and immediately taking the bags away from Namjoo's hands.

"No, it's nothing auntie." said Namjoo who caught her breath as the girls entered into the shanty house which smelled of homecooked-food, walking on top of the creaking wooden floor and looked around. It was like a trip to the past, where there was evidence of Eunji's childhood scattered all around. There were small markings of height indications at the side while small portraits of Eunji's family and her middle school graduation picture was displayed. It was just like any other family home.

"Sit down, while I get something for you girls to eat. Must've been a long train ride."

"Thank you aunty" said Namjoo.

"But, where did Eunji go?" asked the mother.

"We went our seperate ways after exiting the train. Eunji unnie told us to head to your house first." replied Hayoung.

"Oh that girl, I told her it wasn't anything serious but she still insisted coming all the way here." sighed the mother as she headed to the kitchen.

"But what happened actually auntie?" asked Namjoo in curiosity.

"Just a bicycle accident, Minki lost control of it and fell. But Eunji made it seem like he got into a car accident. Aigoo, no one can stop her. Here, have these." said Eunji's mom as she gave them two, sliced cakes from the fridge. It was sweet, and was a Busan delicacy. The two girls ate it with delight, as if it was a reward for climbing the flights of stairs.

~X~

Two hours had passed and soon, the two older girls arrived at Busan. It was midnight and the train station was cold and dark. Chorong who felt afraid, held onto Bomi's arm as they walked out onto the empty streets, where only lights of the street lamps showed the way. It was near impossible to return back to their dorm in the same day thus, Chorong had to personally text her boss that she wouldn't be able to arrive for work even though it will be her first day. Luckily, after her hard years of earned trust Huh Gak didn't mind and allowed her to stay in Busan as long as she wanted to until her situation was solved.

It didn't take long before the two found Eunji's home, climbing the same flight of stairs that Namjoo and Hayoung went through and finally arrived at the entrance. As it was at an hour where everyone was asleep, the two carefully ran the doorbell. It took awhile before someone opened the door, with surprise it was Namjoo who appeared.

"U-Unnie?! You came?!" shouted Namjoo in surprise in which Chorong quickly covered , afraid her noise would wake someone up.

"You can't just leave a note saying that you went to Busan like that Namjoo-ya, and you weren't answering our calls." said Bomi as she furrowed her eyebrows.

"Our phones ran out of batteries so..." laughed Namjoo nervously as she looked at Chorong, glaring at her.

"Are all of them inside?" questioned Chorong.

"No, Hayoung is inside sleeping but Eunji and Naeun went to hospital to check up on Minki."

"Minki?"

"Eunji's little brother. He's a few years younger than Hayoung."

"Is that the reason why all four you went to Busan? Eunji could come by herself." said Chorong in suspicion.

Namjoo looked around nervously, avoiding eye contact with Chorong.

"Namjoo-ya." said Chorong sternly with a stare.

"Okay! I'm sorry unnie! We were just too bored at home so we thought it would be a crazy idea to head to Busan for a one day trip but suddenly, Eunji's mom called about Minki and it kind of turned out like this." confessed Namjoo as she took a step back, afraid to receive a punishment from the older girl. Chorong could only sigh.

"Looks like you'll need some more explaination later. Is Eunji's parents asleep?" said Chorong as she peeked inside the house.

"Her mom just went to sleep, I was about to sleep until you two came. I was really surprised." said Namjoo as she brought the two girls inside, leading into a small room where there were mattresses laid on the floor. At the corner was where Hayoung was fast asleep, her bandages were changed and she was deep in her dreamland. They were relieved to see their maknae safe and sound, as the two decided to head straight to the mattresses that was supposed to be Eunji and Naeun's. It was tiring long day for the older girls, and rest was more important.

~X~

The next morning went by, Chorong woke up first as she wasn't used to the atmosphere of sleeping in someone else's home and headed outside. In the kitchen, she met Eunji's mother and introduced herself.

"Hello aunty, you've never met me before but I'm Park Chorong. I've recently become their caretaker at the dorm and-" Suddenly, Eunji's mother hugged her.

"So it was you, whom my daughter has been boasting all about. Thank you so much, for taking care of not just Eunji but all of the girls." she said as she looked up at Chorong, analysing her face with a smile.

Chorong who was rather confused, stayed frozen as the aunty grabbed her face, touching her in all parts of her body. Indeed, she definitely had resemblance of Eunji in terms of personality.

"Um...is there anything you need help with? Namjoo and Hayoung are still asleep so.."

"You don't just have a pretty face but a kind heart too! Come, you can cut these and wash this." said the aunty, pointing towards the vegetables and meat laid on the counter. As she helped Eunji's mother out, the two had a long, deep conversation with each other as like a typical mother-daughter situation. Talking with her reminded Chorong of her own mother, her presence made her comfortable and at ease even though she was in Busan, a place she's never been before.

"By the way, may I ask how Hayoung became like that?" 

"Ah...she fought with some girls in school because they bullied Namjoo. It's a long story.." 

"Those kids really don't change. They used to come here often when they were younger, and I treat them like my own daughters." said the lady with a smile, reminiscing her memories.

"I see, they're really close like sisters. Um, aunty may I ask a question?" said Chorong carefully.

"Ask anything you like, Chorong-ya"

"I haven't seen your hus-I mean, Eunji's father around.."

"He's working in Turkmenistan."

"Turkmenistan?"

At that moment, a sleepy Bomi, Namjoo and Hayoung came out of the room walking sluggishly to the kitchen energyless.

"I'm cooking breakfast already so you girls can go change first" said Eunji's mother. Immediately at the mention of food, the two younger girls went wide awake and headed straight to the toilet to brush their teeth and change themselves. Indeed, they definitely did not look their age. Meanwhile, Chorong helped out Eunji's mom and soon, food was served at the table. After the younger girls were ready, the five of them gathered to eat. 

"Eunji definitely stayed a night at the hospital so the three of you should go there after your meal." said the mother, who went to the back of the kitchen and returned with a lunchbox.

"That's for Minki right?" asked Hayoung, still full with food.

"Finish your food before you talk." said Chorong.

"Yes mom..." 

"I told you not to call me mom"

"But it's the nickname i made for you. Unnie doesn't like it?" pouted Hayoung in dissapointment.

"....." Chorong could only break into a sigh as everyone laughed at the situation.

"It's okay unnie, I will make a new nickname for you" winked Bomi.

"No, i'll stick with mom thanks." said Chorong, rejecting Bomi's idea.

~X~

After breakfast, the four girls headed to the bus station. While waiting for the bus to arrive, Chorong gave a long lecture and scolding to Namjoo and Hayoung for coming to Busan without her permission and that everyone would miss their school and college before proceeding another lecture about the importance of education.

"Are you even listening?" asked Chorong with a sigh, running out of breath.

"Unnie, the bus is here." said Bomi, trying to save Namjoo and Hayoung from the devil's nag.

Even when they got onto the bus, Chorong continued her nagging until they reached the hospital. Bomi could only silently laugh, watching her two dongsaengs suffering. It was of course, their fault to spend a one-day trip to Busan which resulted much longer than that. As they arrived at the hospital, it didn't take long to find Minki's ward which was on the second floor.

As soon as the door opened, Bomi, Namjoo and Hayoung bursted in, running to Minki's side and chattering about comfortably. Only Chorong, who wasn't familiar with Eunji's younger brother felt awkward. She introduced herself to him, which only resulted in an awkward "Hi noona" conversation. It was just like what Eunji's mother said, his condition wasn't severe. Minki was just resting on his bed while his left leg was lifted in the air, tied by a bandage and cast.

"Wow Minki, you look like you're doing acrobatics!" joked Bomi after looking at Minki's strange position.

"Here, your mother made this for you." said Namjoo, giving him the lunchbox.

"But I thought you didn't ride bicycles?" asked Hayoung.

As the three girls were focused on Minki, Chorong realised something. Eunji and Naeun were not found anywhere but there was evidence that they were here. Blankets on the chair, empty cups on the table and even their charging phones on the floor was clear that they were here. But where had they gone to?

"Minki-ya, did you know where Eunji and Naeun went?" asked Chorong.

"Not sure noona. I woke up and they were gone." replied Minki.

"Let me call them." said Namjoo.

"Their phones are over there unnie." said Hayoung, pointing towards the direction of the charging phones.

"Well, that's a problem..."

Suddenly, there was noise coming outside the ward's window. It wasn't noise that represented danger, but noise of people cheering and clapping.

 

[END OF CHAPTER 10]

 

A/N: What's going on outside? Thank you for reading and subscribing! Just a spoiler for the next chapter, "2eun" ;) Will update soon!