~Chapter 40~

The Pink Dormitory

~Chapter 40~

 

"Huh?" It was the first word that came out of Chorong's mouth. There was a momentary silence as the older girls tried to digest what they just heard from their maknae.

"Hayoung-ah, you're not joking right?" asked Chorong.

"Unnie, it's official. I'm no longer a student at Dongguk University." said Hayoung as she took a document out of her bag, placing it in the middle of the dining table which stated the receipt and acceptance of Hayoung's request to drop out. She was refunded a mere 50,000won as she was still under a scholarship. With Namjoo by her side, the girl took it slow and steady. She explained her reasons to her surprised unnies, knowing that it was a little too much to take in at first. But after an hour of discussion under the table, the unnies were only left with one question.

"If you're not going to college, what are you going to do?" asked Eunji.

"How are you going to make money if you don't have a degree? Have you thought this out carefully Hayoung-ah?" asked Chorong.

"That....I haven't exactly went through with that yet....." said Hayoung as she smiled nervously.

"Hayoung-ah...." said Chorong in worry.

"It's okay, take your time. It was like that for me too, I was considering hard whether or not I was going to be a vocal trainer or an artist." said Eunji, supporting Hayoung's decisions.

"There are a lot of things I want to try out but...you guys aren't mad at me? Aren't you going to give me an earful? I was really prepared to be scolded though..." said Hayoung.

"Wow, are we scary unnies?" laughed Bomi.

"We aren't going to scold you or anything Hayoung-ah. It's your life, you choose what you want to do. We are only here to guide you into the right path." said Chorong.

"That's right, we just don't want you to be selling hotdogs on the roadside or something like that" said Eunji.

"Aigoo unnie, I'll never do a job like that." smiled Hayoung, relieved. With a light heart, Hayoung's worries erased away and she was able to clear her thoughts and think carefully of what she wanted to do. 

Throughout the night, the six girls chatted upon many things. Long, deep conversations and occasionally loud laughters echoed the dormitory. It was a lively atmosphere that hadn't occured in awhile, a noisy dorm just like in the old days. If only moments like this could continue every day, being together brought triple the happiness. It was until midnight, the girls went into their rooms respectively, one by one. As usual, Bomi slept with Chorong yet again with a new excuse being that she broke her arm. Eunji, who noticed that Bomi dissapeared into the older girl's room, quietly sneaked into Naeun's room, surprising her from behind.

"Y-You scared me unnie!" said Naeun, slightly perplexed as Eunji flew onto her bed, hugging her from behind.

"If Chorong unnie and Bomi sleep together everyday, why can't we?" grinned Eunji as she wrapped her arms around Naeun's ant-like waist.

"You shouldn't copy other people unnie..." joked Naeun as the two looked at each other. Their faces were so close, they could feel each other's breath. 

"I haven't seen you in awhile. Now that I don't have hectic schedules anymore, I'll see you everyday."

"Again with your cheesy lines...." mumbled Naeun in embarrassment as Eunji laughed.

"Naeun-ah"

"Hm?"

"I love you."

"T-That was random..."

"What? I just felt like saying it so why not?" smiled Eunji as she pulled Naeun closer to the point where their foreheads touched. 

"I love you too." smiled Naeun with a soft giggle.

The two girls slowly kissed each other and fell asleep within each other's warm embrace.

Meanwhile, at Chorong's room, Bomi was in an uncomfortable position due to her sprained arm that required a fixed position. The girl couldn't turn around and face Chorong, she was forced to lay down flat on her back.

"This isn't fair...." mumbled Bomi.

"What is?" smiled Chorong as she took Bomi all for herself, hugging her like a pillow as Bomi couldn't move a single inch.

"I can't hug you, but you can...."

"Guess it's my lucky day then." giggled Chorong as she playfully tickled Bomi's stomach.

"Ah! Unnie, don't do that!" whined Bomi.

"Okay, okay. I thought this was my chance to revenge." laughed Chorong.

"What revenge?" asked Bomi dumbfoundedly.

"Don't you know how many times you tried to push me off the bed while you were asleep?"

".....Sorry unnie....you can tickle me then...." said Bomi to which Chorong laughed. Hearing her laugh was the epitome of Bomi's happiness. She loved making people laugh, especially the girl she loved.

"Stop fooling around and go to sleep." said Chorong.

"Yes unnie. Oh yeah, I forgot something."

"What is it?"

"I love you Chorong unnie."

"Omo."

"What?"

"Nothing. Go to sleep."

"You should say it back too...." pouted Bomi with a mumble. Chorong laughed again as she placed a gentle peck onto Bomi's cheek.

"There you go. That's my way of saying it. Now, go to sleep."

"Alright unnie~" smiled Bomi, satisfied with what she got.

~X~

As several days went by, many articles got released into the internet. Breaking annoucements of Artist Eunji's Apology Letter and Sudden Hiatus made a hot topic online. Netizens also managed to look up information on Naeun and instead, recieved positive response for her beauty. But of course, the comment sections were full of mixed reactions upon this news. Word got out in Dongguk University of Hayoung's drop out, creating a fuss among the students as some people assumed it was due to her incident while others made up rumours that she ended up in jail. All these, were of course false. 

Namjoo didn't want to create a mess of telling everyone that these rumours of Hayoung wasn't true so she had to hold it in, while practising for her upcoming musical. Both Bomi and Eunji stayed at the dorm for their own seperate reasons, while Hayoung frequently went to the internet cafe. Chorong had been busy as examinations were coming up and she had to make sure her students were studying properly.

At Naeun's art studio, her co-workers had to turn down several interview offers regarding Eunji's scandal. This distracted her work and occasionally, she would lose creative ideas that were at the tip of her head. Articles started popping up about Naeun, her looks, beauty and bodyline. It was perfect material for modeling, as many netizens wondered why she was an artist and not a model. As months went by, the heat died down and Eunji's scandal was no longer the most talked topic in town. It was just as Eunji's CEO predicted, time can only heal wounds of the past.

Three months later, Eunji recieved a call from her CEO to pay a visit to her company. This marked the beginning of her vocal trainer career and the girl was excited to meet the new trainees, interested in their talents and capabilities and of course, training them. After a brief discussion with her CEO, the eight-member girl group was scheduled to debut early next year.

"I believe that you can do it, Eunji-ya." smiled the CEO. It was clear that he was stress-free from the look of his bright expression, as her scandal died down.

"Don't worry sir, I'll train those girls to become the best girl groups out there." smiled Eunji.

Eunji was led into the basement-floor of her company building where the small, dance practice room was. With an excited heart, she couldn't wait to meet these young, eight, lovely girls.

"Hello~ I'm Jung Eunji, I'll be your vocal trainer from now on. Wow, all of you look very young and fresh." said Eunji with a motherly smile as she looked at them. It was clear that these eight girls were nervous upon the sight of Eunji, immediately standing in a line, greeting her while bowing 90 degrees.

"1,2,3, Hello! We are Oh My Girl! Please take care of us!" shouted the girls with smiles.

"Oh~so your team name is Oh My Girl? That's a great one. Who's the main vocal here?"

"Me. I'm Hyun Seunghee! It's a pleasure to meet you, Eunji-sunbaenim!" said the girl as she bowed again, 90-degrees while shaking her hand.

Taking up her first job as a vocal trainer was a pleasant experience for Eunji, teaching these young, bright kids brought plentiful of happiness. She was impressed how talented they were and their hilarious talents such as imitating a rice cooker, an ostrich and many more. The girl was very fond of these girls and treated each of them like her own daughter.

~X~

Soon enough, it was the day of Namjoo's musical and of course, all of the girls were invited. It was held in a big theatre in the middle of Seoul city and what made the girl more nervous was that, top musical actors and acting company representatives were attending. This was of course, a set-up audition for her and everyone else. The months of hardwork and sweat that was put into this musical, was simply the starting point of their bright future.

Attending the hall quietly, the five girls sat at the back row afraid that they would draw attention especially with the appearance of hiatus-artist Eunji, taekwondo player Bomi and Naeun that the netizens have been keeping an eye on.

"Where's Hayoungie?" asked Chorong, noticing that one of the seats were empty.

"She told me she was going to see Namjoo backstage first." said Naeun.

Along the hallway outside the theatre, Hayoung was dressed in a black hoodie, afraid of being recognized by her former Dongguk Unviersity mates who attended as well. She walked carefully and looked around, before reaching the room with a big sign plastered "FOR DONGGUK UNIVERSITY PERFORMANCE ART STUDENTS ONLY". Carefully, she knocked on the door and the moment it opened, Hayoung smiled.

"Hayoung-ah, shouldn't you be inside and getting a seat?" asked Namjoo.

"You're nervous aren't you? Don't lie."

"As expected, you knew me better....." said Namjoo as Hayoung grabbed her hands, it was obvious that she was trembling. Realising how nervous she was, Hayoung quickly pulled her into a quick embrace before letting her go, hoping that no one else saw it.

"You worked hard for this unnie, you lost so much sleep and sometimes you got sick. Don't worry about it. Just imagine as if I'm the only one watching you." smiled Hayoung.

"Thank you Hayoung-ah. But you really need to go back, what if someone sees you? I don't want you to start-"

"Unnie. I promised you that I wouldn't fight anymore. Even if I meet them, I won't cause any trouble. I promise." said Hayoung as she fixed Namjoo's costume. It was a little revealing, her shoulders could be seen and her skirt was above her knees.

"Alright, I will believe in you Hayoung-ah. You should go back now, I need to prepare for the stage." 

"See you later unnie."

With a very brief moment together, Hayoung left the room and headed out to the hallway, leading back to the theatre. However, she could overhear two students talking. Curious yet feeling uneasy, Hayoung hid behind a wall and eavesdropped their conversation.

"Do you think they'll be able to give a good performance of Romeo & Juliet?" said one student.

"I saw the cast of students. I can't even believe she got the lead role for Juliet." said another.

"Who? You mean that girl that always hangs around with the seniors?"

"That's right, Kim Namjoo. I don't think she has the right to play the lead role. Can't she feel the jealously among her seniors?"

"Yeah, she's probably just being super kind to her seniors so that they don't hate her"

"I'm gonna laugh real loud if she makes this a failure."

"This musical is representing our school, if she ruins it, she's going to shame our reputation."

"I know right"

Anger boiled inside Hayoung as she simply stood behind the wall, clenching her fists. Just hearing them talk, made her furious. She never liked people with bad, dark personalities. She wanted to go up to them, and hit them onto the walls. She wanted to tell them that they were wrong. But, the girl remembered her promise with Namjoo. She couldn't fight. She must not resort to violence. She knew that if she were to create a scene, this will ruin Namjoo's long efforts of preparing for the musical. One single move, could bring everything down.

With a deep breath, Hayoung closed her ears and walked forward to the theatre. She told herself that she saw nothing, heard nothing. By the time she returned to her seat, the musical had started. Lights were out and the curtains rolled up, the anticipated Romeo & Juliet Musical by Dongguk University Students had begun. The musical showcased Namjoo's acting skills and definitely made an impression on everyone, especially those who underestimated her.

~X~ 

Ever since the day of Namjoo's musical, things started to change. Namjoo recieved an offer to transfer into the most pretigious performing arts college under a scholarship, however it was a long distance from the dorm. With much consideration and careful thought, Namjoo moved out of the dormitory into a hostel near the college. Although it was a difficult decision for her, she promised Hayoung and her unnies that she would return during the weekends.

Naeun signed an exclusive contract to work as a fashion designer after having slumps from painting. She wanted to try out something new that would test her creativity. With that, she was given several new projects to design clothes for models, artists and many other celebrities. Bomi often slept many nights at the sports training centre, training 24/7 ever since her arm got healed while Chorong was busy holding late night seminars and workshops for her students, examinations were just around the corner and she didn't want anyone in her class to fail. On the other hand, Hayoung had been camping in the internet cafe and was rarely at the dormitory. No one knows exactly what she has been up too, because the unnies had been so caught up in life.

The Pink Dormitory that was once, a comfortable home of six girls where happiness and laughter fluorished was now an empty, quiet place. It wasn't like the old days anymore. Everytime someone comes home, there was only an answer of silence. Times have changed.

~X~

[One day at WM Entertainment]

"Hello sir? You called for me?" asked Eunji as she greeted with a bow, while entering the room.

"Ah, yes. I see that the girls have a lot of improvement, thanks to you." smiled the man.

"You don't have to say that sir~ you're gonna make me blush." grinned Eunji with shyness.

"Well. They are going to debut soon and I'm sure you are aware that these girls live seperately, whether it be with their family or friends."

"Yes, I know that."

"When a group debuts together, they need a place to stay together. A dorm. The problem is, I haven't been able to find a place that fits eight people."

"Hmm..." As Eunji gave a thought for awhile, one idea popped into her mind. Although it was something she didn't want to happen, because such, was her only place she could call home. However, looking at the situation now, there was really no point of it. The idea of letting Oh My Girl use the Pink Dormitory lingered in Eunji's mind.

"You've been silent for awhile. Did you manage to catch something?"

"Err..well, the thing is.....I'm living in a dormitory right now...."

"Yes, I know that. With five other girls right?"

"Yeah but these days, we don't really use it anymore. The girls have been really busy on their own so they don't really come home anymore."

"Eunji-ya, I'll give you a few days to think about it. If we are able to let Oh My Girl use your dormitory, do not worry as I will arrange a studio apartment for you."

"Thank you sir, I'll talk to them about this." said Eunji as she bowed and left. Walking out of the room, the thought of assembling all five of them together was quite a task. With a deep breath, Eunji mumbled to herself "Eunji-ya, why on earth did you even think of that idea? You know it will hurt yet you still chose to do it..." The dormitory held many memories for the girls that they wanted to cherish eternally. But, nothing lasts forever.

"Guys, we need to talk. It's something quite serious. When are all of you free? Yes, i need all five of you." -Eunji.

"What's wrong Eunji-ya? I'll be free during the weekends, the students have their own tuition on those days."- Chorong [10 minutes later]

"I'll ask coach if he can let me a day off. If he doesn't, I'll just say my arm started to hurt again :P" - Bomi [30 minutes later]

"Okay unnie, I'll cancel my plans with my friends who wanted to come and visit Seoul. I hope nothing is wrong unnie." - Namjoo [1 hour later]

"Weekend? Got it." - Hayoung [3 hours later]

After recieving the last text from Hayoung, Eunji wondered what that girl had been doing the past few months. Just like a mother who worried about her own child, she was concerned about the girl's frequent visits to the internet cafe. She hoped that Hayoung hadn't drown her sorrows through video gaming and instead, got addicted to you. As she thought about it carefully, Hayoung had yet to tell everyone what she was planning to do next. The girl would spend the whole day at the internet cafe, sometimes spending a night there and playing again. She had no idea what Hayoung was up to.

~X~

[Saturday Afternoon, 12:15pm]

At a coffee shop nearby the dormitory, Eunji silently waited for all the girls to arrive. She was excited to meet them yet, anxious as to what she was going to tell them. One by one, the girls entered, bought their own coffee and sat down. Of course, when all six were together, it was sure to get noisy again. Jokes came in, laughter spreaded and happiness was all around.

"You said there was something urgent you wanted to talk about, Eunji-ya?" asked Chorong with concern.

"It was so difficult to get all of you together, I swear. You have to admit that we don't come home often and usually, the dorm is empty during the weekdays." said Eunji.

"Sorry, I kinda got used to sleeping at the training centre." laughed Bomi nervously.

"But I make an effort to come back home during the weekends right, unnies?" asked Namjoo.

"You do, but is anyone at home?" asked Eunji.

"C-Chorong unnie is....and Hayoung too..." said Namjoo quietly, losing out to Eunji's question.

"And Hayoung-ah, just what on earth are you doing at the internet cafe 24/7?" asked Eunji as her face turned serious.

"Yeah, I wanted to talk about that too. Do you think that doing whatever you want, literally means that?" asked Chorong as the two unnies turned their faces to the maknae who innocently drank her coffee.

"Ah, unnies, your faces are so scary it's a little-"

"You still haven't told us what you're going to do next. Don't tell me it's playing video games everyday?" asked Naeun.

"Everytime I call you, you're always at the internet cafe. Even when I have lunch with you and ask where you're going later, your answer is the internet cafe. What's wrong with you, Hayoung-ah?" asked Namjoo.

The five girls all stared at the maknae, worried, concerned and a little frustrated. It was like a scene of a family scolding their youngest daughter.

"Okay unnies. Calm down. Weren't we here to discuss about Eunji unnie first? She's the one who asked-" said Hayoung as she reached something inside her pocket.

"Don't change the subject." said Namjoo.

"Right. Look unnies, I'm not playing video games for fun. I'm actually making quite a career out of it." said Hayoung as she took out her wallet that was full of cash.

"Hey, you aren't gambling aren't you?!" said Chorong.

"You aren't taking drugs at the internet cafe aren't you?! Stuff that will keep you awake so that you can play those stupid games of yours!" said Eunji.

"Unnies! Have you never heard of Online Game Tournaments? There are even famous ones that get broadcasted on television! Right now, I'm working on my ranking so that I battle with other top-class players. I might even appear on television one day!" said Hayoung as she took out a namecard from her wallet. It was from an official association of video gaming.

"Huh?" said the two unnies, confused.

"Ah, I've heard about this. Video gaming is actually a sport now, people don't really know much about it but it's really a thing now." said Bomi who remembered something while she was having a meeting with the athletes.

"Wow Hayoung-ah, you play and get money from it?" said Namjoo, surprised.

"I mean, if I win the games and get higher rankings, I do get money." smiled Hayoung.

Chorong and Eunji looked at each other dumbfoundedly. It seems that they were just too slow into adapting the fast changing paces of society. They definitely were outdated about the latest trends happening and weren't really tech-savvy people.

"I...Um....I'm...." said Eunji, lost at words.

"Unnie, I'm probably earning more than you now." grinned Hayoung mischieviously as she openly revealed her wallet.

"Hey, you shouldn't show your money like that. What if people steal it from you?" scolded Chorong.

"Ah unnie~ are you trying to find ways to scold me now?" pouted Hayoung.

"Sorry. But at least, you're making something for yourself. Money is the passport to living in this world." said Chorong, as she finally smiled.

"Aigoo, here comes this grandma with her wise words again." teased Bomi.

"Looks like you miss me hitting you huh?" said Chorong as she playfully hit Bomi.

"By the way, what was the thing you wanted to talk about Eunji unnie?" asked Naeun, not forgetting the actual purpose the girls came here.

"That's right, we didn't come here just so I get scolded by Chorong and Eunji unnie." laughed Hayoung.

"Right, about that....." said Eunji as her smile dissapeared.

"I think, we should go our seperate ways. I think that we should stop living together."

 

[END OF CHAPTER 40]

 

A/N: After many years of living together, a hard decision that has to be made. Thank you for reading and subscribing! Yes, I kinda gave up on giving chapter names cause they don't really make sense anyway haha~ next chapter will be up real soon~ :)