Chapter 6: Decisions

The Pink Dormitory

Chapter 6: Decisions

Walking to the front gate, Naeun took a deep breath as she faced her father. For the first time, she looked at him straight in the eye where she could fully captured his face. He was now old, wrinkles all over his body and grew a beard. Holding hands with Eunji, her trauma dissapeared as she continued to walk closer to him. 

"Naeun." said her father as tears welled inside.

"A-appa...." said Naeun softly.

"You've gotten so beautiful just like your mother. My daughter has grown up..." said the man, his voice shaking. He took a step closer to his daughter, but he remembered the fear he saw in her eyes yesterday. He knew what he did was wrong, he knew Naeun's own trauma was his own creation. He was at fault, he admitted it himself.

"I'm sorry Naeun. I was wrong. I've become such a terrible father, worst than trash. I don't deserve to become a father for you, but your mother does. Please Naeun, please come back home and meet your mother. She is terribly ill." pleaded the man, tears rolling through his cheeks.

"What happened to Mom? Did you do something to her?" asked Naeun in suspicion, wondering if her father has really changed.

"She's been diagnosed with terminal cancer. Please Naeun, all she wants is to see you again. Please."

Naeun took a glance at Eunji, who tighten the grip of their interwined hands. 

"I'll go back home Appa. But. She is coming with us."

"That is fine Naeun-ah. Please, get in the car." With courage, Naeun let go of Eunji's hand and proceeded to walk towards her father. Lifting her hands carefully, she wiped his tears off. Without hesitation, her father immediately embraced her. His arms wrapped tightly around Naeun's small waist, Naeun could feel a different kind of warmth, a warmth that spilled the feelings of home.

"Appa...there are people watching...." mumbled Naeun.

"Sorry. I'm just glad that you have forgiven me Naeun-ah."

"Not yet." replied Naeun coldly as she went to grab Eunji's hand and proceeded to enter the car. Eunji could only smile, she was glad that the conflict between Naeun and her father was resolved(almost). It reminded her of her own family back in Busan, the memories of her father began to roll through her head. In the car, Naeun was reminded of her childhood memories. She began to tell Eunji how she used to always sit at the back of the car, where her family would go on picnics and the window was open, letting the cold breeze in. It was her only happy memories, before her father became abusive. But now, he has changed.

"By the way sir, I apologize for the thing that happened yesterday." said Eunji.

"What for?"

"Um...my friend Bomi kicked you and it probably would've hurt."

"Ah, that girl really has power." laughed the man nervously. He seemed to be in a good mood, happy that his daughter is finally going home after years of running away. Naeun too, started to feel slightly comfortable. Strangely, her father was back to his same old self before he was an alcoholic. But, what concerned her most was the condition of her mother. Other than her father whom she was afraid of, her mother was the one who supported her. She told Naeun to run away, that it was the best for her. Even all her expenses, was provided by her mother who secretly sent her money every month.

The journey back was a long one, Eunji wondered how far away Naeun ran away from home. In the car, Eunji learnt more about Naeun's childhood life despite knowing her for five years. She was quite shocked to hear that Naeun's family was rich and home to a medical business. Coming from the town of Busan, Eunji had always lived in basements where her family worked as fishermen. Indeed, no one would have guessed a daughter of a medical company would end up taking art in college.

After about an hour, the car stopped and Eunji gasped in amazement. There was a huge mansion right outside, an open fountain and a beautiful large garden.

"Naeun-ah, I'm going to treat you better now" joked Eunji.

"It feels weird coming home after five years unnie...." said Naeun.

"It's okay, I'll probably feel the same when I go back to Busan." smiled Eunji.

Naeun's father lead to two girls up a long staircase, leading to a big room where her mother was. There was an IV drip, some machines that continued to beep and other medical items laid on the table. On the large bed, was a frail woman but despite her sickness, she looked beautiful. It was obvious where Naeun got her beauty from.

"Mom...." gasped Naeun as she headed towards her mother, meeting her after five years.

"You finally came Naeun-ah..." smiled her mother weakly as Naeun broke down in tears. A lot of thoughts had gone through her mind, if only she wasn't stubborn and came before it was too late. She could've spent more time with her mother if she had come home sooner. Eunji decided to leave the room with courtesy, leaving the mother and daughter alone.

She stood outside the hallway, captivated by the large paintings that decorated the walls. It was exactly what she saw in European movies where the rich would stay in large mansions. Sneakily, she took out her phone and took pictures.

"Eunji....that's your name right?" a voice from behind startled Eunji. It was Naeun's father.

"Ah yes, sorry for causing all the trouble." bowed Eunji politely.

"No, I'm the one at fault. I made my own daughter scared of me, I don't deserve to be a father for her."

"Don't think that way uncle. Although I admit that I was kind of angry at you for causing harm, but since you are trying to change yourself. I'm fine with it." smiled Eunji.

"Thank you for taking care of my daughter for the many years. I'm sure she must've caused you lots of trouble."

"No, no, it's nothing. Although she's a bit clumsy at times, that's what makes her unique. I mean, Naeun is a nice girl so you don't have to worry." said Eunji as her busan accent started to splurt out, speaking at a fast speed. It was obvious that she was nervous.

Naeun's father could only laugh.

"But uncle, would her mother be all right? Terminal cancer is really...." However, the man could only smile.

"She doesn't have terminal cancer. It was all done so that I could convince Naeun to come back." After hearing those words, Eunji stared at the man dumbfounded. 

"B-But wait, wait....EH? WHAT"

"She doesn't have terminal cancer but she is recovering from an operation on her legs. It isn't harmful." laughed Naeun's father.

"Naeun is so going to get you for this..." sighed Eunji nervously.

~X~

After a reunion with her mother, a lot of things were talked about. The many things that the two missed on their five years apart, it was obvious that Naeun was closer to her mother compared to her father. But gradually, the news would've have broken to her that her mom wasn't having terminal cancer and was simply just a scam to bring her back. This of course, did not end very well.

Eunji could only laugh, seeing how cute an angry Naeun was. Her parents could only smile, looks like there was still one part of their daughter that hasn't changed. With a pout, Naeun sat angrily at the corner with her arms crossed. Eunji sat beside her and could only grin uncontrollably. There was one thing Eunji loved about Naeun which was her angry self. 

"I'm sorry Naeun but it was the only way to bring you back home." said her father.

"Appa, I'm not staying here."

There was silence.

"Although I said I was coming home but I never said I was going to stay."

"I understand Naeun. I was wrong to force you into studying medicine. I only found out recently about your paintings and I admit, they are good." 

"But....since appa is trying to change himself then I will also...learn to accept you as well..." mumbled Naeun, trying to put her words properly.

"I'll..visit often...alright?" said Naeun carefully.

"On one condition." said her father.

"What?"

"I need to know where you are living. For the past five years, you've been hiding so well that all I could find was your school. At least, tell me where you live so that I can send you things."

"Fine." said Naeun in agreement.

With that in mind, the two girls had dinner at the mansion before leaving. It was a fulfilling farewell, for Naeun's trauma had dissapeared completely and there was no longer any obstacles lying ahead of her. Eunji, who noticed Naeun's relaxed expression smiled. By taking the car back home, it was already night. Eunji had earlier texted Chorong to eat without them.

"Naeun, I was wondering, why didn't you stay?"

"What do you mean unnie?"

"I mean, you have a big mansion and lots of money. Wouldn't it be better living there than our run-down dormitory? You would get to go to school by car everyday, have a good meal-"

"Unnie." said Naeun as she made eye-contact with Eunji.

"That would mean nothing to me if you aren't around."

Eunji was slightly taken aback by Naeun's words.

"Not just you, Bomi unnie, Namjoo, Hayoung, and Chorong unnie too. There's no way I would leave all of you behind for that."

"You're a really kind girl, do you know that?" said Eunji as she broke in a smile, lightly patting Naeun's head.

The drive back to the dormitory was a long one thus the two girls fell asleep with their heads leaning against each other.

~X~

By the time the next day arrived, everyone was informed of Naeun's situation. It was indeed a happy atmosphere, in fact Bomi jokingly said that they need to throw a party for this event. It was now Saturday, one more day before Chorong goes to work. Despite being a weekend, everyone is still asleep besides Chorong herself.

Quietly, she went into Naeun's room in which she almost suffocated by the smell of paint and carefully opened the window to allow some air circulation. Then, she went into Eunji and Bomi's room, fixing the mess on the floor and placed back their blankets that was all over the place. She stared at Bomi's sleeping face, despite her playful nature, she was like an innocent baby when asleep.

"The moment she wakes up, she's a devil." mumbled Chorong to herself while giggling as she headed to Hayoung's room.

"Oh, you're up early despite being on a weekend." said Chorong. She noticed that actually, Hayoung would look beautiful if she didn't wear her thick black glasses that she always wore around.

"I'm going for club practice later with Namjoo unnie." smiled Hayoung while rubbing her eyes.

"Club?"

"Namjoo unnie and I are in a dance club in school and we have our annual summer festival coming up. Can't miss the chance you know?" 

"I'll go wake up Namjoo then." 

"Thanks unnie"

Chorong then proceeded to head towards Namjoo's room, however there was something suspicious. On her desk, were bits of torn pieces of paper and envelopes with red handwriting on it. After checking that Namjoo was still asleep, Chorong carefully looked through the papers. She gasped as she read through the small bits of words written in red. "Ugly". "Die." "Get Lost". "Stupid". and many other harmful words.

With worry, Chorong carefully patted Namjoo in order to wake her up.

"Namjoo? Namjoo, wake up."

The moment Namjoo opened her eyes, it was swollen. There was clear evidence that she had been crying the whole night.

"Namjoo....." 

"U-Unnie..don't look at me!" said Namjoo as she looked away, covering her face with the blanket.

"Namjoo." said Chorong in stern voice, turning her head towards the evidence of paper on the desk. After realising that everything had been revealed, Namjoo broke down in tears, sobbing endlessly.

 

[END OF CHAPTER SIX]

 

A/N: The second arc is starting~ what has happened to Namjoo? Just when Naeun's problem was solved, another one arises? Thank you for reading and subscribing! I'll have the next chapter up soon! :)