Chapter 37: Going Places

The Pink Dormitory

Chapter 37: Going Places

Inside the National Training Centre for Taekwondo athletes, the team gathered around as they read the news article that was uploaded recently. It was an article that had been the number 1 searched on Naver, entitled "Artist Jung Eunji and Taekwondo Athlete Yoon Bomi Spotted Outside A Police Station?" 

"Bomi-ya, you didn't do anything wrong right?" asked her coach with a worried expression.

"Wow, is Bomi-sunbaenim friends with Jung Eunji? I'm a huge fan of her songs!" said a fellow athlete who got excited.

"Now is not the time, Jackson-ah!" said the coach as he pulled the boy back. With experience from the past, he knew a scandal like this would affect Bomi's performance in competitions mentally and physically.

"Sorry sir, I was being too careless. I never thought these people would be everywhere, capturing pictures just so that they can make some kind of commotion in the public." said Bomi as she calmly scrolled through the article. She was well-aware that Eunji was going to make an appearance on a live radio broadcast later and wondered what she would do. Without answering the on-going questions of her peers, the girl stood up and walked towards an electronic radio at the side of the gym.

"Bomi-ya, what are you doing?" asked her coach.

"Wait sir, Jung Eunji is going to appear live soon. I need to hear what she's going to say first before I'll tell you everything." Upon the mention of the singer's name, all of the athletes stopped and gathered around. This surprised Bomi because she never thought that her same-aged friend would be this popular among the public, even with taekwondo athletes.

"What the, you never told me you were fans of her!" 

"Sssh!"

"Fine."

~X~

[MBC FM4U Radio Station]

"And on today's segment of Hot Stars, we have Jung Eunji with us today! Say hello to our listeners." said the DJ.

"Hello. I'm Jung Eunji, a solo artist who debuted recently with the song Hopefully Sky."

"Wow, we've got a really hot star up in the studio. It's a pleasure to meet with you. Did you know that your name is currently the number one searched right now?"

"Oh really? It's a honour to receive so much love from the public." said Eunji with a smile. She pretended as if, she had no clue about the news article she had seen just minutes before. But she knew that it was coming, an unavoidable question that she had to be extra careful with.

"You are very humble! Actually, I don't know if you've heard of it but there's a news article going about. Do you know about it?"

"Hm? Sorry, I've been so busy so I wasn't able to check my phone today." said Eunji with a smile.

"Ah...I see. Well, apparently people saw you at the police station yesterday with taekwondo athlete, Yoon Bomi. Rather than you being at the police station, people are more curious about your relationship with Bomi."

"First things first, one of my relatives got into some trouble, not me. Don't worry about that. And actually, I coincidentally met Bomi there. We aren't close yet but I guess we are getting to know each other a little." said Eunji. For awhile, she wondered whether this was the best choice. She can't help but to picture Naeun in her head, reminding her to never lie again. But still, Eunji wanted to protect her. She didn't want to public to know their actual relationship that they were childhood friends, she didn't want to place any pressure on her.

"I see. I guess people just love to make a lot of speculations. Well, let's move on shall we?"

~X~

After listening to the radio broadcast, Bomi sighed.

"Great job Eunji-ya, now I have to come up with my own story." mumbled Bomi to herself as she turned around, to see her coach staring at her with his arms crossed. 

"So, what were you doing at the police station Bomi?"

"L-Like what Jung Eunji said, I also had a relative of mine who got in trouble." stuttered the girl, reusing the same excuse as her same-aged friend.

"Really?" asked the coach as he raised his eyebrows.

"Yes. My younger sister kinda..uh...got beaten up by some gangsters!"

"You told me you only had an older sister who passed away."

"Uh...." Bomi froze. She was cornered, there was nothing else that came into her mind.

"Bomi." said her coach with his eyes straight into hers.

"Please tell me the truth." 

Bomi glanced around and all attention was on her. All of her peers, athletes, stared at her, wanting to know the answer.

"Fine. But I can only tell it personally to you coach. I can't let anyone else know." 

The coach nodded in reply as the girl quietly grabbed his hand and the two moved into a small locker room inside the gym. Of course, people were curious as they crowded outside. But her coach understood Bomi's situation and instead, scolded the rest and told them to continue training instead of picking up gossips like these.

Bomi trusted her coach a lot, he was the one who saw potential in Bomi and brought her into the team. Although he may look scary at times, he had a soft, understanding heart inside. He was Kang Ho Dong, a once legendary taekwondo player who retired and also actively appeared in several shows. Because of their similiarities with the field, Ho Dong understood her better especially when it came to being an "athlete celebrity".

"Tell me the full story Bomi-ah." said Ho Dong as he sat down.

Bomi revealed every single detail that occured yesterday, including Hayoung's case in high school and how she was living with five other girls in The Pink Dormitory which included Jung Eunji as well. However, she never revealed the fact about her relationship with Chorong and simply stated that they were all like family to her.

"Now, that's going to be complicated if the media finds out about this Bomi-ya." said Ho Dong as he sighed, crossing his arms.

"I know. I just, never knew that all these paparazzi would be everywhere, watching my every single move."

"There have been worse cases, where they even follow you back home. I've experience that, not very pleasant at all. Letting strangers intrude your own privacy is the worst thing fans can do."

"What do I do coach?"

"I'll settle this with an official statement. Of course, I will never reveal the truth. What stays in this room, will never go out. I just want you to focus on your upcoming competition, don't be concerned over a simple news article. That's what coaches are here to do. Now, go back and train Bomi-ah." said Ho Dong with a smile as he patted her back.

"Thank you coach. I will work hard!" smiled Bomi as she bowed. It was as a heavy stone had been lifted from her back, the worries that concerned her were no longer there.

~X~

Meanwhile back at the dorm, Hayoung had insisted Namjoo to go back to the university. She told her that she could take care of herself and that her musical was more important. The older girl trusted her and left for her rehearsals. Being home all alone with no one else, it gave Hayoung room to think for awhile. The rollercoaster ride that happened that night, the appearance of Seungho, her unnies whom she cared about, finally getting her senses back, the girl knew what to do next.

Walking around the empty living room, it was decorated with polaroids of her unnies when they went to Busan last summer. Looking at the shelf that showcased medals from Bomi's competitions, there was a portrait of Hayoung's high school ceremony. The smiles placed onto her unnies showed that they were proud of her despite what she did. But in the end, her good grades was all for them. The girl never actually knew what she really wanted in life, she simply walked on a road to make her unnies proud by taking the law course. But with what happened, there was no way things were going to be the same once she returned back in college.

With a deep breath, Hayoung went into her room and grabbed her laptop. Turning on, she began to type something on a word-processing software. The few words of the page began with "Request To Dropout Of College". For the whole day, the girl sat down and typed. She knew that her unnies would get angry at this silly decision of hers as everyone knew she was very smart. But, Hayoung was never happy in the beginning. She simply chose and studied Law for the sake of making her unnies happy. It was time that she wanted to do something she really loved.

~X~

After the radio broadcast was over, Eunji sighed in relief. She managed to overcome the tricky question from the beginning and managed to settle down her scandal. Exiting the studio, her manager gave her a pat on the back as the two went into the car.

"Oppa, you're driving me back to the company right?" 

"Of course. The CEO would get angry if he doesn't hear the truth from this."

"As expected...you knew I lied huh?"

"I've been managing many celebrities before so this was pretty easy to catch. Don't worry too much about this Eunji-ya, this kind of scandal isn't that big. If it was a dating news, it's going to blow up."

"There's no way I'm dating someone oppa~" smiled Eunji.

"Best to be very careful, Jung Eunji."

"Ah, don't say my full name like that. It's like I'm being scolded." laughed Eunji nervously.

"You are being scolded. Expect to get more from the CEO later." Upon hearing that, Eunji's smile dissapeared. She knew what she was getting into, she knew what to expect. But it didn't mattered, as long as she got to protect her loved ones from the public, any punishment was welcome.

The ride back to the company was quiet, this had been the first time the rookie artist had been involved in a scandal like this and the atmosphere wasn't getting any better. However, a notification rang from Eunji's phone and her smile returned upon seeing the message. It was none other than a message from Son Naeun.

"Are you okay unnie? I heard what happened."-Naeun

"I'm fine, don't worry. Are you finishing work early today?"

"Don't change the subject unnie..."

"Sorry Naeun-ah, I'll tell you everything when we meet."

"I'll be back by 6pm."

"Alright, I'll see you soon <3"

The arrival back at her company, made those smiles dissapear. With heavy steps up the stairs, Eunji wanted to take it as slow as she can to drag the time of not wanting to see her boss. Taking a deep breath and a glance at her manager, the girl knocked three times on the door and entered.

"Sit down." was the first sentence her boss said the moment she stepped her foot inside. It was a tense atmosphere and the air was heavy.

"I'm sure you're well aware about your popularity right now, Eunji-ya." said the man who was dressed in a black tuxedo like he always did. He was a man of perfection and class.

"Yes, I am sir." said Eunji carefully, while maintaining eye contact with him. She wasn't exactly afraid of his aura, but simply the outcome of her scandal.

"Do you know there are rumours saying that you got into trouble? People are making up nonsense online that you stole something, broke a law and an even ridiculous story of you getting into a fight with that taekwondo player."

"No sir, none of that is true."

"I know. I saw from your eyes in that audition, that you weren't that kind of girl. So tell me, the real truth. Not the lies you told the media."

Eunji paused and contemplated. But she trusted in the man that gave her a future, and a walking path to her dream. He was the only person who knew that Eunji was living in a dormitory with five other girls(not knowing that Yoon Bomi was one of them).

"One of the girls in my dorm got into some trouble in her school. Yoon Bomi, the taekwondo player actually is my dorm-mate and you can sort of figure out why the both of us were there."

"That is definitely one complicated story." sighed the man.

"The two of us aren't just friends, we've known each other since young and went to the same school together."

"Alright. I'll settle this problem with the press, just don't cause anymore trouble. I've already cleared your schedules since it will be a hassle to attend those events and people ask about your scandal. Just have the week off, I'm sure the promotions must've tired you out." smiled the CEO. Although he may have an intimidating image but deep inside, he is like a father with a soft heart. 

With a wide smile, Eunji thanked and bowed her boss. She had expected something worse but instead, it was the best thing ever. With some burden lifted off her shoulders, the girl headed back home early.

~X~

Back at the training centre, Bomi returned to training. Her friends, co-athletes and everyone else did not mention a single thing about her scandal ever since. They knew that it was best for her to fully focus on her upcoming competition that might determine her first participation in the Olympics. Forget the Bomi who was always on the television and making laughs for everyone, the world must not forget that she represents Korea as a female taekwondo athlete. This was what Hodong had emphasized and told the team since the beginning.

Drenched in sweat and catching her breath, time had passed very quickly for the tough girl. It has been awhile that she hadn't been practising and looking at her red palms brought a smile to her face. Although it was painful, it was evidence of her fruitful work. It was at that moment, one of her friends came by and said that someone was here to meet her.

Confused, Bomi wondered who it was as she headed outside to the courtyard where she could faintly see the silhouette of a young lady. Walking closer, her smile became wider as ever as it was Chorong waiting for her.

"Unnie! Don't you have classes later? Why did you come here? Did you eat lunch?" bombarded Bomi with all sorts of questions that worried her.

"I only have morning classes today so work ended early. It's been awhile since I've seen you all sweaty and stinky." giggled Chorong as she teasingly took a step back and pretended to draw a line between them so that Bomi wouldn't come closer.

"Here. I bet you skipped lunch didn't you?" said Chorong as she gave a packaged lunch bought from a nearby restaurant.

"As expected of unnie, you knew I would do that huh?" smiled Bomi with thankfulness as she took the lunchbox. It was still warm as it wrapped around her palms.

"You're working really hard for your competition but I don't want you to skip meals. Athletes need food to be strong." said Chorong as she lifted her two arms up, fists clinched.

The two sat down at a nearby bench while Bomi ate her lunch. Chorong told her about Irene's case and how in the end, she was a lesbian too and she was dating someone else. There was no need to worry about any romance feeling between the two girls as they simply remained as good, best friends and co-workers at the same time.

"I'm relieved." said Bomi with food still in .

"Me too." replied Chorong.

"But you didn't tell her that you're lesbian too? That you're dating me?" 

"No....."

"Alright. I understand unnie. If you don't feel comfortable, it's fine. Thanks for the meal, it was delicious."

"You like anything and everything anyway."

"So you're heading back to the dorm?"

"Yeah, I need to check on Hayoung. I'm still worried about her."

"Me too. Well, I guess I have to go now."

"Ok, don't overwork yourself Bom-ah."

The girl stood up and was about to leave, but she didn't want to. She wanted to cherish this moment of the two of them alone together. Her feet stuck on the ground and her back faced towards Chorong, she made sure that no one was around.

"What's wrong Bom-ah?" asked Chorong who was sitting down.

However before the girl could reply, Bomi suddenly turned around, bent herself towards the girl and planted a kiss onto her lips.

"Ah...sorry. I just did it unnie..." said Bomi as she quickly removed her lips from hers.

"Guess I'll have to go and shower when I get back." joked Chorong as she stood up and kissed her back.

This surprised the younger girl as Chorong wasn't the type who would kiss first. Looking at her unnie, the younger girl simply froze.

"U-unnie..." mumbled Bomi.

"Let's just keep that as a motivation for you to work harder. See you later at the dorm Bom-ah." giggled Chorong as she walked back, finding Bomi's surprised face quite cute.

~X~

Back at the dorm, Eunji had arrived home first. By the sound of the door closing, Hayoung immediately closed her laptop. None of her unnies should see what she was typing. 

"Oh Eunji unnie? You arrived home early today?" said Hayoung as she walked towards her.

"Yep. I didn't get scolded by my boss and instead, I get a week-long holiday. Yay." smiled Eunji as she playfully messed the maknae's hair and went inside her room to freshen up.

Quietly, Hayoung keep her laptop in her room and hid in from sight. Suddenly feeling uncomfortable with the presence of someone else in the dorm, the young girl felt uneasy. After all, she had been home alone for about four hours. Walking to Eunji's room, the girl peeked inside. Her unnie was simply resting on her bed while scrolling through her phone.

"Eunji unnie..." said Hayoung as she peeked in.

"Yea? Come in Hayoung-ah."

"Ah, no it's okay."

"Aigoo, just sit down on Bomi's bed."

"Okay....." said Hayoung with obedience.

"Are you alright Hayoung-ah? Seeing you wrapped in bandages makes my heart hurt y'know? I heard all about it from Chorong unnie, whatever that was, it wasn't your fault."

"It's fine unnie. I'm okay now. Don't worry." smiled Hayoung.

"Aigoo, there you go again saying things like that when you aren't actually fine. Come here." said Eunji as she broke into her Busan accent and patted her bed, signalling the girl to head to her side.

Reluctant, Hayoung sat on Eunji's bed to which the older girl wrapped her arms around and pulled her into a warm embrace. It contain feelings of a mother who is concerned of her child, it was a hug that represented encouragement. Eunji was the first person to warmly welcome her ever since she lived in the dorm, she had always been around and looking after her. The two watched each other grow and developed a mother-daughter bond that no one else would find in this world.

Placing her arms around Eunji's waist and resting her head on her shoulder, it reminded Hayoung of the times when Eunji would carry her on her back when she was a child. Hayoung often played at the playground and Eunji always picked her up after school. It was a memory that had always lingered.

There was no words needed. It was hug that showed everything Eunji wanted to say. It was long, silent hug that the two embraced together for a few minutes.

"Actually unnie, I came here to tell you that I'm going to the internet cafe....." said Hayoung.

"Ah. It was not that kind of- ah, okay. I see. I see. Don't come back late and be back for dinner otherwise Chorong unnie is gonna yell at you." said Eunji with an awkward laughter.

"But, it's also not bad being like this too. Thank you Eunji unnie" smiled Hayoung unwrapped her arms from her waist. 

"Ayy~ don't say things like that. It's so cringy~" laughed Eunji.

"Don't you say cringy things with Naeun unnie too?"

"Uh..."

"Caught you didn't I?"

"Oops."

"Anyway, I should head to the internet cafe now. I'll see you later unnie."

"Sure, have fun Hayoung-ah."

~X~

Within an hour later, Chorong was back home. But, she went back out to buy groceries at an evening hour leaving Eunji home alone again. This was a rare moment for the artist to have some quiet time for herself as she was always working in noisy environments where fans would scream and shout, music would ring in her ears as echoes of other things would come into mind. Just by relaxing in an empty house was like paradise.

It was then, Eunji recieved a notification from her phone. It was from Naeun.

"I'm on my way back home."

"I'll meet you in front of our house."

After sending that message, Eunji got out of her bed which she had been sitting on for two hours and heading outside. The sun was already setting and the girl waited for her in her casual, comfortable clothes that she hadn't worn in a while. Feet in slippers while wearing an oversized t-shirt, it was the total opposite of what she was wear usually. Her feet had always hurt from long hours of wearing high heels during her schedules and it wasn't comfortable to squeeze in tight dresses to look good for the camera. This was the real her, dressed in however she wanted.

Soon enough, Eunji could see Naeun walking in a distance and smiled.

"You're back early, unnie." said Naeun, surprised as seeing Eunji at home before 5pm was a rare sight.

"Let's go somewhere and talk Naeun-ah." said Eunji as she grabbed her hand.

"Why can't we talk inside?"

"I'm already sick of staying in there for two hours straight."

"Alright, alright. But let me put my stuff inside first." laughed Naeun at Eunji's simple reason.

Soon, the two walked and held hands together as they reached to a nearby, empty park.

"It's been awhile since I got time to take a breath of fresh air and also to spend a moment like this with you, Naeun-ah." smiled Eunji, not letting go her hands that interwined with hers.

"And no one's here, which is good." said Naeun 

The two talked about many things that they haven't been able to tell each other. Eunji explained what had happened at the office and how she was given a one-week holiday, clearing all her schedules to hide herself from the public. This was of course, good news as they were able to meet much more often. Naeun shared her struggles and worries at work that Eunji was able to sympathize with as it was similiar to what she felt. 

It was a long chat for the couple who didn't have time to properly talk with each other. Just the two of them alone in the park, was nothing more that they could ask for. Looking at the dark blue sky above, it gave a moment for the two to think about their work, their future together and the present now.

"Naeun-ah, if I were given the choice to give up my career or you, I would give up my career." blurted Eunji out suddenly.

"Why are you saying such cheesy things like that unnie? It's so random.." said Naeun as she broke in a laugh.

"Hm, I wonder. Maybe because I haven't seen you in awhile that's why I'm saying crazy things." laughed Eunji.

"I love you unnie."

"Oh? You don't usually say that Naeun-ah?"

"I've been reading books lately and one of the books said that if I don't say things that are on my mind right now, I will regret it later."

"What about actions? If I want to do something now but I feel that I shouldn't, will I regret it?"

"What do you want to do unnie?"

"This." said Eunji as she leaned closer and gently pecked Naeun's lips. 

"Hey, that's not fair. I want to do it too." 

"Okay, here." said Eunji as she closed her eyes and pointed towards her lips.

Slowly, Naeun moved her face closer and instead of kissing her lips, the girl kissed her forehead.

"Why there?" giggled Eunji.

"I'll save the lips for another day." smiled Naeun.

"What day? My birthday?" grinned Eunji.

"As expected, Eunji really catches fast...."

"I'll be waiting for it, Naeun-ah." smiled Eunji.

The couple continued their own teasing before it was time to head back, otherwise they would face Chorong's wrath again. Everyone ate dinner together except for Bomi who was still training overnight. But still, five girls are better than four.

~X~

It was a new day in Seoul and since Eunji had the whole week off, she made use of this to sleep in. Chorong, Bomi, Naeun and Namjoo left for their own schedules leaving Hayoung behind who holed herself in her room. The older girl slept through the whole morning until she was suddenly woken by Hayoung's violent-like shaking, knowing that this was the only way to wake her up.

"Unnie! Unnie!" said Hayoung as she continued to shake her.

"Huh? What? Is there a fire or something?" mumbled Eunji.

"No. You have to check out the news. Like right now. N.O.W"

"News?" said Eunji as she rubbed her eyes and reached for her handphone. Heading straight for NAVER's homepage, the article was the first one displayed on the webpage.

"Oh..my...god..." sighed Eunji as she facepalmed herself.

It was an article titled "Rookie Artist Jung Eunji Spotted Kissing A Girl At A Park?!"

 

[END OF CHAPTER 37]

 

A/N: Looks like paparazzi is everywhere now. How long will Hayoung be able to hide her request to dropout? Thank you for reading and subscribing! I'm back from finals and can't wait to continue writing the next chapters ^^ Do expect updates to be much quicker than usual~