Calm before the storm

Let's play pretend

Soonyoung entered his office with a sigh. Luck was really not on his side today. Then again, when was it ever on his side. He picked up his handphone and dialed a number he became all too familiar with. A few rings later, a voice replied from the receiver, "Hello Mr Kwon! I believe you have seen the pictures. Became quite a hit on the internet I must say."

"Your articles are just click bait and you know it." 

"Did you call me to tell me to get rid of the articles again? It will be a lot harder this time Mr Kwon, the guy you were with is very attractive to the publics eyes."

Soonyoung grits his teeth, patience wearing thin. "No, don't remove anything. Instead I want you to write a new article. We are dating. He's not a fling. He's my boyfriend. I expect to see this plastered everywhere tomorrow." And with that final statement, Soonyoung hung up, not waiting for a reply.

He was not sure if what he did was the right thing, unfounded confidence now lost. He and Jihoon, well, they are close-ish. The random texts definitely did help solidify their friendship? He wasn't sure what to call it anymore. They were simply colleagues in the workplace, but the Jihoon over text seemed so friendly, so lovable. It was like as if they were genuine friends. But they weren't. And those texts were rare enough to make him feel like he didn't know Jihoon at all. This fake dating was definitely going to take more than what Soonyoung initially thought. It's going to be a long day indeed. And Soonyoung sighed for the upteenth time that day.

~

It was a Friday. The most anticipated day of the week for most. Jihoon absolutely could not wait for the weekends. He needed a break from this drama. This fake relationship had his mind racing the entire time. What if someone finds out? What if the plan backfires? Will I lose my job in the end? Is this lie worth it? It was funny really, it felt like he had lost nights of sleep when it really just happened yesterday. Almost like a routine, Jihoon stepped out of his car and made his way to his office on the 9th floor. 

The moment Jihoon entered the doors of his department, all eyes flew up to him, boring holes in his head. "Erm, morning everyone?" And with that, he quickly retreats to the confines of his office. Safe haven indeed.

"About time you got here."

"s sake! You scared the hell out of me!" Jihoon gripped his chest as he turned from the door facing Seungcheol. He draped his blazer over his chair and settled himself on his chair. "What brings you here, so early in the day to be more specific."

"Is this what you were talking about? Play pretend? Is this it?" Seungcheol speaks up as he hands Jihoon a familiar magazine. Except that it was a new issue. Today's.

Now this explains the looks from everyone outside. "What are you talking about? We are dating."

Seungcheol moves to sit on the edge of Jihoon's desk. "Don't lie to me Jihoon. Yesterday's question was too random for it to be a spontaneous thought. Plus, you know Soonyoung. The famous playboy. Why would you even date him." 

Jihoon searches his mind for an excuse. A lie. Was he that easy to read? Was it so easy to tell that he was lying? 

"No Jihoon, it's not that you're easy to read, if that's what you're thinking. It's because it's me. I know you too well, so stop coming up with excuses and just spill." Seungcheol declares.

Jihoon rolls his eyes, and mutters a fine. Damn, he really has to work on his lying skills if he was going to con the whole of Korea about his relationship with Soonyoung. More like relation. 

~

"So you're dating Director Lee."

Soonyoung nods."Yes Seokmin, I am."

"The Director Lee, the one who looks like an absolute pumpkin but with sharp fangs that can kill? That Director Lee?"

Soonyoung smiles too himself. Director Lee does seem to have sharp fangs. "The one and only."

Seokmin gapes as he sits himself in front of Soonyoung's desk. "Wow Soonyoung, why is it that I as your most amazing friend ever has to find out that playboy Kwon has decided to settle down through the tabloids. HUH?!!"

"Woah, who said anything about settling down?"

"What? But you're dating. Like in a stable relationship, right?"

"So?" Soonyoung shrugs. When did a little flirting now and then ever hurt anyone?

~

Seungcheol nods appreciatively. Face crumpled in an unreadable expression and lips pouted. The thinking face as Jihoon likes to call it. 

"Stop thinking Cheol. There's no way out of this. It seemed like the best option then and it still seems like the best option now, even after a night of sleeping on it."

"Okay, fine. But do you even realize the damage to your image when people find out you're dating a playboy? Not just any playboy. Kwon Soonyoung."

"The damage probably can't be worse than me losing my job. It's fine. I'd rather not date anyone who judges me based on my past mistakes anyway."

"Alright alright. Stop frowning already. Tonight though, we party, Club 99. Throw all those worries away yeah?" Seungcheol says as he reaches over the desk to pat Jihoon on his head.

Swatting the hand away, Jihoon smiles for the first time that day,"Club 99 it is."

~

Dressed in ripped black jeans, a graphic tee and a very nice denim jacket, Jihoon had met Seungcheol who came by his apartment to pick him up before heading to the club together.

The night was slowly picking up as the DJ played the lastest remixes with bodies dancing all around. 

Both Seungcheol and Jihoon made themselves comfortable at the bar, placing their orders with the bartender.

"Hey Soonyoung, isn't that Director Lee?" 

Upon hearing Seokmin's comment, Soonyoung looked down, following the pointing finger to find, Director Lee, in the flesh. Who knew he even had it in him to party. Soonyoung was currently sitting on the second floor of Club 99, together with Seokmin. It's their weekly Thank God it's Friday party. A very scantily dressed lady grinded up next to Soonyoung, giving him a . Soonyoung relishes in her touches. Too bad he was gay, could have brought her home and taken her to cloud 9. 

Soonyoung's eyes automatically draw back to Jihoon. He had looked, for the lack of a better term, hot. Who would have thought ripped jeans would ever look this good. And then his eye drifts to a guy whose hands were now on Jihoon's face. Hmm who's that? Wait is that, no way. Director Choi? From publicity? They knew each other? 

Jihoon was already on his eighth tequila shot while Seungcheol was still nursing his second coke and rum. "Jihoon wait here for me! I'm just going to head to the bathroom real quick!" Seungcheol yells over blaring music. Jihoon nods and giggles to himself. Numbness was a good respite, especially when the world weighed down too heavily on his shoulders. Seungcheol turned his back against the drunk male and weaved through the crowd, iin search for the nearest restroom.

"Hey cutie. Wait, aren't you the guy dating Kwoon Soonyoung? Damn he got lucky. Want to dance?" A random guy came up to Jihoon, and extended an outstretched arm, gesturing to the dancefloor. 

Jihoon looked at the hand with hooded eyes and took it.

Soonyoung was downing his flaming Lamborghini when he noticed Jihoon was gone from his seat at the bar. Did he leave? But then he spots Jihoon on the dancefloor, very clearly drunk. Another man standing too close for comfort, ing him. Soonyoung reflexively stood up, leaving a curious Seokmin behind, and stomped his way to the dancefloor, pushing past bodies slick with sweat. 

He was almost there, stretching out his arm, he reached for Jihoon, but just as he almost touched him, he disappeared from sight, right through his fingers.

"Don't ing touch him."

He hears the growl in the voice and sees a furious Seungcheol leaving the club, an unconscious Jihoon in arms. Soonyoung tastes something bitter at the back of his throat. Weird. I could have sworn the flaming Lamborghini was sweet. 

~

Jihoon tossed and turned. The sheets soft to touch. It was like deja vu, and Jihoon panicked. That was until he heard Seungcheol humming to himself and the smell of bacon waft into his nose. He was definitely home. Home sweet home. Thank you Seungcheol!

"Wake up Jihoon! The food is going to get cold!"

Never had Jihoon been happy about Seungcheol taking up his wardrobe space for his own shirts and slacks, and of course underwear. But it was times like these that he is eternally greatful that he had relented to Seungcheol's pestering. At least now Seungcheol could not make the excuse of leaving to go home when Jihoon was drunk. His apartment was basically Seungcheol's second home. 

Walking into the living room fresh after washing up, Jihoon sees Seungcheol setting the cutlery on the table, food laid out, ready to be eaten.

"Thanks Cheol. What would I ever do without you." Jihoon mumbles out as he reaches for the aspirin and downs it with a mouth of orange juice. 

"Crash and burn. And do you really have to frame that picture up? It's embarrassing as hell."

In the picture was Jihoon and Seungcheol sitting in a sandbox. Seungcheol was wailing while Jihoon looked like the next grinch who stole Christmas. Jihoon had ruthlessly kicked down Seungcheol's sandcastle. And that marked their first meeting, they were 7 at that time. 

"It's my fondest memory of you Cheol."

Seungcheol rolls his eyes and then begins to work on his pancakes, "Shut up Jihoonie."

Soonyoung stares wide eyed at his dad in front of him on the dining table. 

"Invite him over Soonyoung. The party is on next week. Since he's dating you, he should meet the family, don't you think?"

"Yeah, I'll... I'll let him know."