What?

Let's play pretend

Jihoon walked into his office. Was he really ready to face a new day after what happened last night? Was he able to act like nothing happened? Jihoon was woken from his thoughts as Seungkwan burst through his door, "Jihoon! Seriously, look at this!!" 

He frowned. 

~

Soonyoung strolled into his office and plopped down on his seat. Nothing seemed to be going right that day. His car could not start, he left his phone at home and had to turn his car around halfway to work (at least he got the car working after half an hour) and now the new intern got his coffee order wrong. Things can't get any worse can they. The peace was broken as Seokmin hurled through his office door. 

"Seriously Seokmin, calm down. My door will break soon and it will be because of you."

"Soonyoung, what did you do now?"

"What did do? Care to enlighten me?"

~

"Seungkwan, you know I don't read tabloids."

"Just take a look," Seungkwan said as he passed Jihoon the latest issue that came out this morning. 

"what do you see? Anything familiar?"

Jihoon scans the front cover and immediately spots Director Kwon's name. "Nothing new Seungkwan,"

"Read the damn article Jihoon! Gosh if you want to have with one of the richest men in Korea, do it discreetly! Sheesh! Director Kwon is always being watched by the paparazzi. You know his rep!"

Jihoon flips through the magazine till his fingers stopped on a page. The page. Weird, why is there-

"My picture? is that me? ! It is me!"

Seungkwan nods, gesturing wildly with his hands, "Someone was very naughty last night."

~

Soonyoung stares at the picture. It was dark, but it was definitely a picture of Jihoon, slung around his shoulders as he leads him into a hotel. ing reporters. He was screwed, his dad will definitely not let him off this time. 

"Is this another one of Kwon's flings?" Seokmin animatedly read the title of the article. "You're dad will kill you."

Soonyoung buries his head into his palms,"I know. You know what the worst part is? I don't even remember the ."

Seokmin shakes his head in disapproval just as the secretary came in, "Director Kwon, the President wishes to see you. Now." Speak of the devil. 

~

Jihoon sees his entire career flash before his eyes. How he got his first project. How he finished his first project successfully. The time when he was promoted. His latest achievement of Creative Director. He sees it slowly disappear as his vision clouds. He was definitely going to be fired. So much for the immaculate image the President was so proud of. 

~

Jihoon knocks and enters the President's office on the top floor of the building. He sees Director Kwon standing in front of him and makes haste to stand beside him, bowing slightly as he faces the President. He shivers. Has the room always been this cold? 

"What the hell is this?!" President Kwon bursts as he throws the magazine on the desk in front of Jihoon and Soonyoung. The very same magazine Jihoon saw just 10 minutes ago.

"This is not the first time Soonyoung, and Director Lee? I am extremely disappointed. I never expected this from you."

Jihoon flinches, "President,"

"The company's image is tainted because of the both of you! What will our clients think? Would they trust us to advertise for them?! What should I do with the both of you!"


Jihoon breaks out into cold sweat, bowing a full 90 degrees almost too quickly. He hears Soonyoung speak, "Sorry Dad," and he quickly stammers along, "I am so sorry President Kwon, we," but before he could finish speaking, Soonyoung continues.

"but this is what couples do right? I'm dating Jihoon. Have been for a while now." Soonyoung reaches for Jihoon and pulls him closer by the waist, grip tightening as Jihoon tries to shimmy out of his hold. "Couples sleep together. That's what they do. I don't see what's wrong."

The President raised his brows in disbelief. "If you two are really dating,"

"We are."

"then I expect you to clear this up with the reporters. Right away."

"Yeah sure. I'll do that."

Jihoon was silent the entire time. Brain gone numb, tongue absolutely paralysed. What just happened?

Soonyoung looks down at him and smiles,"Let's go babe."

Jihoon stares incredulously at Soonyoung. What?

~

Both men entered the lift. Jihoon stood at the far corner, as far away from Soonyoung as possible. 

Just as the door closes, Jihoom shouts,"What the hell was that?!!"

Soonyoung breaks into a full blown laughter, breathy and loud. He's so red. Cute.

"Well Director Lee, I really need this job, and so do you. It's easy. It's just like playing pretend. We just have to pretend that we are dating till this whole thing tides over. We will 'break-up' and then go our lovely separate ways."

"It's not as easy as you say it to be Director Kwon." Jihoon spits out.

"It is. Just like when we were kids. Haven't you played pretend before? A game. Simple."

Jihoon glared. , I really need this job. He sighs in defeat. There is really no way out but this. "Fine."

"Pleasure doing business with you Director Lee." Soonyoung says as he steps out of the lift, leaving Jihoon to his racing mind and heart. 

~

Jihoon kicks the door open as he throws himself on the couch in Seungcheol's office, face buried into the pillows.

"Jihoon?"

"Seungcheol, where were you when I needed you. Is this what best friends do? Leave them when they are drunk?"

Seungcheol looks up from the paperwork in his hands, "I was in China the past week. Just got back last night. I assume the BBQ party went well?"

"Oh . Right. China. Why must you be the Publicity Director."

"That's because I'm the best guy there is for the job."

The two of them  fell into a comfortable silence, until Jihoon spoke up. "When did you last play pretend Seungcheol?"

The sudden question caught Seungcheol off guard. His eyebrows knotted. "Hmm probably when we were kids? Why?"

"What if I asked to play pretend now?"

"Jihoon, what's wrong."

Jihoon finally stands from the couch and stares right into Seungcheol's eyes. "What would you do? Would you play with me?"

"Yeah, yeah I would. If we were kids, or maybe if it was 15 years ago. 27 year old men playing pretend doesn't seem like a pretty sight."

"I'll see you later Seungcheol." Jihoon sighs as he makes his way to leave Seungcheol's office, heading towards his own. 

So why are WE playing pretend then.