Empty promises

Let's play pretend

"Stop pretending anymore Jihoon."

Seungcheol's voice reverberated throughout the car. Jihoon sat frozen in his seat, eyes fixed on Seungcheol. He could vaguely hear buzzing sounds in his head, but he couldn't tell if it was from the low hum of the engine or just fear eating away at his soul. Fear from knowing that the pretense would have to stop one day. Fear that the day was much nearer than expected.

His back was pressed flush against the car door, as far away as the man before him as possible. It was perhaps his weak attempts at running away in our situation. His voice was caught in his throat, afraid that the next sound he made would break him. "I-"

A click resounded and cold air assaulted his face. Jihoon felt like as if the air was knocked out of his lungs as he found himself falling backwards out of the car, Seungcheol's eyes widening and arms outstretched in an attempt to catch him.

Instead, Jihoon felt his body enveloped in strong arms that he has grown all too familiar with. Jihoon felt like a contortionist. His legs were folded awkwardly, one on Seungcheol's lap, the other draped over the gear handle between the two front seats of the car. His bottom was dangling in mid-air and his torso was folded in Soonyoung's arms. His head was pressed in an uncomfortable angle against his 'boyfriend's' abs.

"Sorry, but I'm going to have to collect my boyfriend. I haven't seen him for a day and that's unacceptable." Soonyoung commented as he pulled Jihoon out of the car, lifting his body up to prevent the smaller from hitting his on the floor.

Before Jihoon could even catch his breath, he felt himself being pulled away, further and further away from Seungcheol's car.

Soonyoung's body heat radiated and wrapped around the smaller, like a warm blanket ready to protect him from the world. Jihoon was relieved that he managed to escape from that suffocating situation. He did not know what to say in reply to Seungcheol. But realisation struck him, his shoulders deflating further into the body behind him. He could not run away forever.

"I can walk now Soonyoung."

"Oh sorry babe." Soonyoung muttered as he hoisted Jihoon onto his feet, hands running up and down Jihoon's body, dusting off imaginary dust.

Jihoon gulped the lump forming in his throat and stilled his raging heart. He brought his eyes to look directly at Soonyoung's glistening orbs. "What are you doing here?"

Soonyoung automatically reached for the smaller's hands and encased it within his own. He pulled Jihoon along as they both strolled towards Jihoon's apartment. "What. Can't I visit my own boyfriend. And maybe spend the night with him?" The taller wiggled his eyebrows, winking cheesily. 

Rolling his eyes, Jihoon pushed the taller into the lift. "Keep dreaming."

~

Jihoon was sitting on the couch with Soonyoung's head in his lap. Some program was playing on the television but he could hear nothing else but Soonyoung's calm breathing. Seungcheol's question replayed in his mind continuously. Was he ready to stop pretending? The better question was if he even wanted stop pretending. He would rather live a lie than to be without Soonyoung.

~

Soonyoung bit his lower lip (Jihoon had chastised him on multiple occasions) as he thought back to the events in the car. He saw Seungcheol's car roll up into the parking lots. He watched as Seungcheol turned to look at Jihoon. As he looked at Seungcheol's eyes, his heart froze. He stared dumbly as Seungcheol moved his lips, moving closer to Jihoon. He watched the two males converse. It was like something exploded within his core, he made a dash to the car and opened the passenger door, effectively stealing Jihoon away. So here Soonyoung was, lying in Jihoon's lap, as he thought of the possibility of Jihoon laying in some other guy's lap. He felt sick. Soonyoung sat up and pulled Jihoon into a bone-crushing hug.

"Wha- Kwon Soonyoung? I can't breathe!" Jihoon gasped, tapping the taller's back repeatedly.

Soonyoung smiled endearingly, loosening his hold, although Jihoon still remained snug in his arms.

"Don't leave me okay?"

Jihoon froze. He could feel Soonyoung's heart pounding through his chest against his own racing heart.

"Don't ever leave me Jihoon. Promise me."

The smaller could only nod as Soonyoung buried his head into the crook of his neck. It was alright to continue living this dream right? It was okay to be happy a little longer right?

A/N: A super short chapter. I've been really quite busy and I'm not sure how I want to continue the story. I'm still contemplating as to how long I would drag this story out. Writers block is a pain. Thanks nonetheless for waiting for an update no matter how disappointingly short it was.