Square One

Let's play pretend

Soonyoung remained motionless as he laid in his bed staring at the ceiling of his room. He shut his eyes and took deep breaths in and out, trying to remember how it felt when Jihoon wrapped his arms around him just hours before.

Soonyoung trembled in Jihoon’s embrace, tears rolling down his cheeks and soaking the clothes on the smaller’s shoulders. Jihoon was rubbing circles into his back, but even he could tell the smaller had started crying as well, his hand shaking ever so slightly. “You know I would do anything for you.“ Soonyoung croaked out. “But please just tell me why. Why can’t we be together?”

Jihoon hummed into his ear. “Our relati- no, our everything was built on lies. A relationship built on the foundation of lies will not end up well. I can’t do that to myself again. More importantly, I can’t do that to you Soonyoung. You don’t deserve this.”

“But we can start over again right? No. I’m sorry Jihoon, but I refuse to let ‘us’ end this way. We do this all over again. This time, we start as friends. Promise me that.” Soonyoung had lifted his head and brought his hands up, cupping Jihoon’s frozen cheeks. His eyes had a look of determination, fire burning red hot, melting the winter cold.

Jihoon stared into the galaxy behind the taller’s eyes, and a warm smile bloomed on his face. Soonyoung felt his heart swell at the sight before him. It had been a long time since he had seen Jihoon, not to mention he was touching him now. And now the younger smiled his beautiful smile that would make angels jealous. Today was a blessed day, if only they were together. But Soonyoung would not ask for more. Baby steps.

“Okay. Let’s start again. As friends.” Jihoon brought his own hand up to Soonyoung’s cheeks and gingerly caressed him, before tapping lightly and stepping away. “It’s late.”

When Jihoon stepped away, Soonyoung felt that emptiness return, like he was not whole again. How could he be when Jihoon was not in his arms? “It is.”

Jihoon whispered. “You should go.”

“I should.”

The two males stood in the corridor before Jihoon’s front door, staring at each other. Neither wanted to move, unwilling to tear their eyes away. They were both drinking in the sight of the other, committing every wrinkle of worry, every colour of tiredness, every sigh of relief, everything to memory. Winter was coming soon, and a cold breeze sent a shiver down Jihoon’s spine which failed to remain unnoticed by Soonyoung. Although he was unwilling to send Jihoon off, he would definitely not allow the other to fall sick because of him. “Go in Jihoon. It’s getting cold.”

Jihoon huffed out. “ I probably should.”

“Yeah.”

“Yeah… I’ll go in once you go.” Jihoon nodded to himself, pulling his sleeves to cover his hands that were freezing up.

Soonyoung pouted, and cried of indignantly, “That’s not fair! I’ll go the moment you head in.”

This time, Jihoon pouted and frowned. “No! You go first.”

Soonyoung laughed to himself. The two of them were being idiots. They were not even dating yet they acted like lovesick dogs. Jihoon was seriously the cutest. “Jihoon, we are being super clingy with each other. I love it! I could definitely get used to this.”

At Soonyoung’s comment, Jihoon paused. He cleared his throat and readjusted his clothes which were already in place. “I’ll be going in then Kwon.” He cleared his throat once again and fidgeted in his place. Soonyoung smiled, trying to hide his giggles behind his palm. “I’ll see you at work.” Jihoon pulled open his front door and stepped in.

“I’ll text you Lee.” Soonyoung cried out before Jihoon could shut the door. Jihoon hesitated at the door, but it eventually closed, leaving Soonyoung alone. The blonde took a deep breath and walked backwards. He could imagine Jihoon standing on his tippy-toes, looking through the peep hole, making sure the Soonyoung left safely. That was such a ‘Jihoon-like” action. At the end of the corridor, Soonyoung waved at the door, followed by a muffled sound behind the hard wood of the door. Soonyoung smiled softly as he turned towards the lift. The sound had just confirmed his suspicions that Jihoon was indeed looking through the peep hole, watching to see him leave.

“Oh man, Lee Jihoon. What do I do with you? I’m so whipped.” Soonyoung mumbled out to no one in particular. He headed towards his car, the drama from the day starting to take a toll on him. His bed was calling out to him right there and then.

Soonyoung wanted to laugh at his predicament. Just hours before, he was dead beat, a living, walking corpse. But now that he was clean and fresh, straight out of the shower and lying in his bed, he had never felt more awake. The past few weeks had him feeling unbearably empty with Jihoon constantly keeping his distance. The younger’s acceptance to start again ignited a flame within him. He was going to work doubly hard to get him to fall in love with him, doubly hard so that they could be together, for real this time. He could not wait for Monday to come, for work to come around. At least that would be an excuse for him to see Jihoon again. Sunday was going to be a long day.

~

Soonyoung strode into his office, head held high, humming a merry tune as he entered his office, greeting Seokmin on the way in. He placed his bag on the couch before pulling himself into his seat as he arranged the paperwork in his table in the order of urgency. Seokmin knocked on the glass door before entering. “Someone is peppy today. What, did you and Jihoon get together already? I watched the shenanigans at the dinner. Boy did Hyeyoung not look happy.”

Soonyoung placed the files beside the stack of paperwork. “Firstly, Jihoon and I are unfortunately not together. Yet. We are starting as friends for now.”

“What?!” Seokmin ran his hand through the strands on his head. “Friends? This is so uncharacteristic of you.”

Soonyoung smiled as he pulled out his phone and typed in a quick text.

Let’s have lunch Jihoon!

“I’ll be any character Jihoon wants me to be.” Soonyoung replied with a shrug.

Seokmin fake gagged and pounded at his chest, as if he had choked on something. He may as well have with the way his best friend was acting. Soonyoung frowned as his phone lighted up with Jihoon’s reply.

Sure. Seungkwan says sure as well.

I was not extending my invite to include Seungkwan.

I won’t go unless Seungkwan comes though.

“Arghh!” Soonyoung messed his now black hair in frustration.

Fine! Okay! I’ll get Seokmin along then.

I like that. I’ll see you later then.J

Seokmin leaned against the table trying to peek at Soonyoung’s phone. “Not trying to be rude man, but I would love to crash your lunch date.”

“Shut up.” Soonyoung leaned his head on the table, sighing deeply.

Seokmin laughed at his best friend. His attempts to get closer to Jihoon was adorable. “Oh Soonyoung, I like your hair. It makes you look more serious, mature if I dare say. Jihoon will like it.”

At that comment, Soonyoung perked up in his seat, if he had a tail, it would be wagging side to side furiously. “Yeah? I was hoping so! I want Jihoon to know that I’m a changed man. Playboy Soonyoung is no more, a serious, mature, grown man Soonyoung is all that’s left you know? I am super serious about him after all you know? And-“

“Shut up man. I know you’re head over heels for the guy. I get it. Calm your . I’ll see you at lunch. You had better finish all that paperwork that you have been pushing aside the past week, since you are no longer mourning.” Seokmin pointed accusingly before stepping out again to get to his own workstation.

“Harsh!” Soonyoung cried out before pulling the stack of papers towards him. With the amount of work piling up, he now regrets chucking them aside before. But whining about the amount would not lessen the load. It is crunch time.

~

Jihoon had entered Team B’s office and was heading for Seungkwan’s work station. Upon noticing Jihoon, Seungkwan waved lightly, “Hey Jihoonie, you have to tell me everything that happened.”

Motioning for his office Jihoon mumbled, “In the office Boo.” He then turned his back and speed walked to the mentioned place, leaving Seungkwan scrambling to catch up, desperate for some gossip.

“Holy !” Seungkwan shouted as he plopped into the couch in Jihoon’s office.

“Shut up Boo.” Jihoon felt a headache coming on, with Seungkwan’s voice ringing in his ear like an annoying alarm. He would have to tell everything to Seungcheol later as well.

“So you two are not together?”

“No. We are friends. Oh by the way, Soonyoung invites you to lunch with us.”

Seungkwan raised an eyebrow, “Soonyoung invited me, or Lee Jihoon invited me to lunch.”

Jihoon groaned and started arranging the files on his table. Giving his hands something to do, he hoped that he would be able to pass off as nonchalant and composed as he was anything but. “It does not matter who did the inviting. The invitation still stands.”

Seungkwan sighed before getting up from his seat. “Alright Jihoon. I trust that you know what you are doing. But do not drag this suffering out. Soonyoung may not be able to take it and just bail.”

 ~

It was near lunch time when Seokmin burst into Soonyoung’s office, fear in his eyes. “Soonyoung! You have got to get to Jihoon now.”

Soonyoung rose from his seat, panic slowly rising.

~

Jihoon was making good progress with his work, he was almost done with the stack he was supposed to clear before lunch which was in about fifteen minutes. Good progress, great even, compared to the weeks before where creativity seemed to come to a standstill and he was in a slump of his own. His flow was slowly, but surely returning, which was a relief as if he screwed up his work, he would have to answer to the president. He was not ready to be fired. He took a sip on his matcha latte as someone burst through his door, almost causing him to drop his hot mug onto his lap. “Wha-?”

“Hey! I said you cannot enter!” Seungkwan followed closely behind, trying to pull the said intruder back out.

Hyeyoung unceremoniously pushed him aside, causing him to stumble, almost tripping himself with his two left feet.

Jihoon promptly stood up and adjusted his tie. “It is okay Seingkwan, leave us.”

“But Jihoon-“

“It’s fine.” He replied with finality. Seungkwan hesitantly shuffled out of the office, constantly turning back between the two. He dug out his phone to call Seokmin the moment he left the office.

Jihoon calmly stepped around his desk and approached Hyeyoung. “Ms Jung, please take a seat. What has brought you in toda-“

Hyeyoung who had a hands balled up into fists at her side raised them, sending a slap across Jihoon’s cheek, effectively stopping him midsentence. Jihoon was shocked into silence. The sound of the slap echoed within the for walls of his office. His mind was still trying to reel in the situation, when he failed to register the sound of his office door opening and he failed to notice Hyeyoung raising her hand again.

“You son of a !” Hyeyoung cried out, anger coursing through her veins. The man before her robbed her of her future. The future she could have with Soonyoung. If she could not have him, then what gave Lee Jihoon the rights to have the man she wanted. The said man had even embarrassed her in front of national television, declaring his ‘love’ for this midget. Jihoon must have definitely blinded Soonyoung into thinking that. She strongly believed that. That Soonyoung was tricked. Hence, she needed to rectify the situation, she needed to put Jihoon back into his place, at the bottom with the rest of the dirt. She mustered all her strength and raised her hand for the second time. This second slap would pack the bulk of her power, this would put him back into place. Her palm came into contact harshly with skin, the sound deafening. Hyeyoung felt her hands burn, but the burn was worth it. As long as Jihoon was on the receiving end, her physical pain would be nothing compared to what his face would be feeling. She smiled at that thought.

Soonyoung came crashing through Team B’s office, as he made eye contact with Seungkwan who was in his work station, gesturing wildly towards Jihoon’s office. Seokmin followed soon after, Soonyoung was almost at his destination when he watched Jung Hyeyoung raise her palm to strike Jihoon across the face. Jihoon was stunned, rooted to the ground. He did not even raise his own hands to his cheek after the slap. He just stood wide-eyed at the ground, still trying to comprehend the situation. Soonyoung was fuming. He pushed through the doors as Hyeyoung was raising her claws for the second time, but Jihoonw as not moving. With renewed energy and new-found speed, within a split second, Soonyoung grabbed Jihoon by his wrist and pulled the smaller behind him, planting himself between Jihoon and Hyeyoung as her hand came into contact with his face. The force had sent Soonyoung stumbling backwards, face now directed to the ground. His cheek stung raw, and his eyes started to water. He may have bit his own cheek, but his grip on Jihoon remained strong.

The smile on Hyeyoung’s face fell the moment she realised that the one she had slapped was not Jihoon, but in fact Soonyoung. The black haired male slowly raised his glare to the woman. His eyes were blazing with anger as he spat out in fury, “Get the out.”

“Soonyoung!” Hyeyoung cried out. “I-I didn’t mean to.”

As if snapped out of a trance, Jihoon pulled his wrist out of Soonyoung’s grip and turned the taller to face him. He brought up his hand that was shaking and gingerly touched the red mark on Soonyoung’s cheek. “No… Soonyoung…” He whispered out, eyes turning cloudy with tears.

Soonyoung touched Jihoon’s hand on his cheek and interlocked his fingers with them, bringing them to his side. “I’m fine. Don’t worry about it.” He then turned back to face Hyeyoung, “Get out. Never come back. I’ll take this slap as what I deserve for what happened on Saturday. But I will not look past the slap you gave to Jihoon. Reappear again, and you will taste the consequences for that action. Seokmin, get security to Ms Jung out.”

Seokmin and Seungkwan were standing near the entrance of the office, Seokmin swallowed and caught his breath. “Security is already on their way.” The said male then headed towards Jung Hyeyoung, catching her by her forearms, and tugged her harshly out of the office.

“Let me go! Soonyoung! That was an accident! I never meant to hit you! Stop! Let me go Seokmin!” Hyeyoung fought against Seokmin as he dragged her out, before handing her to the two men on the security team.

He wiped his hands against his dress shirt. “Gentlemen, Ms Jung Hyeyoung is banned from this building. I never want to see her here or anywhere near here. Get her out.”

“Yes sir.” The two men nodded before dragging the woman who was now screaming at the top of her lungs, trying to fight against their iron grips.

~

“I’m so sorry Soonyoung.” Jihoon sighed as Soonyoung leaned against his desk, their hands were still interlaced, both seemingly forgotten about it.

Soonyoung winced as he the edges of his cheek. “What are you even sorry for? Don’t be. I deserved that slap.”

“I’m sorry for not moving away.” Jihoon looked up at Soonyoung’s face. “Stop touching your face you idiot. It would only hurt more.”

Soonyoung broke out into a small laughter. “Now that’s the Jihoon I know. Let’s go have lunch. I don’t want that woman destroying something that I have been looking forward to all weekend okay? Let’s enjoy this.”

Jihoon leaned his head against Soonyoung’s chest sighing out once again. Soonyoung instinctively brought his hands to caress the back of Jihoon’s head, rubbing comfortingly and lovingly.

“Okay. Let’s go for lunch.”

Soonyoung beamed and pulled Jihoon out of his office, their palms tightly pressed against each other.

A/N: I’m so sorry for not updating for so long. I was really busy with college and finals and life in general. And I was not gaining any inspiration. Updating this story felt more like a chore rather than what I enjoyed doing which was my intention in the beginning. This was supposedly an outlet for me to destress and to let loose my creativity but instead, I felt burdened and stress to regularly update as I did not want to disappoint any of the readers. So I sincerely apologise for the delay and frustration of the lack of updates. I will try to update since it is holidays now, and since it is xmas, I felt that everyone deserved a gift, hence this update (which is unedited cos im lazy).

On another note, I have started another soonhoon fic which I already regret as I’m almost overwhelmed with this fic already. It is called Dance on my palm and it would most probably encompass more mature and explicit content. I’m still trying to think that one through but I have bits and pieces saved on my phone. So that fic would be updated soon as well, hopefully. Feel free to subscribe to that story too!

http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/1201761/dance-on-my-palm-jihoon-seventeen-soonyoung-soonhoon-woozi-hoshi

Once again thanks everyone and have a great xmas!