Hopes and wishes

Let's play pretend

Jihoon leaned back onto the couch, arms crossed at his chest. 
“Saturday at nine. I’ll give you my whole day.”

Seungcheol sits by his table, seemingly unimpressed. “What and no gifts?”

“Hey, my time in itself is a gift.”
Seungcheol chuckles, “You don’t have to do anything on my birthday Jihoonie.”

The smaller simply scoffs. “Stop talking rubbish. We always do something. It is tradition.”

“Alright. Saturday, nine, and I have the final say as to what we would be doing.”

“Of course! I’m your slave for the day.” Finally satisfied with Seungcheol’s answer, Jihoon nodded towards the said male before leaving his office.

~

Jihoon sits in the lounge, nursing a cup of hot matcha milk. He was so deep in thought that he did not even realise that someone had invaded his personal space, until he felt something wet on his neck. “The heck?” He turned his head in alarm, pitch of his voice raising an octave, “Soonyoung?”

The culprit simply beamed, “Hey babe,” picking the mug off Jihoon’s hands and helping himself to a large mouthful.

The smaller grabbed his drink back and stuck his tongue out at the older. Soonyoung could only reciprocate his action with affection. The smaller was simply irresistibly cute. “By the way babe, I can’t meet you this Saturday."

Jihoon glanced over with a puzzled look on his face. “Since when were we meeting on Saturday? I’m booked.”

Soonyoung gasped, offended by the younger’s comment. “What? Any free time of yours is mine! What do you have on this Saturday?”

Rolling his eyes in response, Jihoon rested his head on Soonyoung’s shoulder. “It’s Seungcheol’s birthday, so I’ll be celebrating it with him.”

“Just the two of you?”

“Yeah, it’s tradition for the both of us.”

Soonyoung nodded. He understood the importance of friends. Seokmin was a big part of his life, so if Jihoon were to be against him meeting the other, there would definitely be a problem. But Soonyoung could not put a finger as to why he felt so paranoid.

~

Seungcheol could vaguely smell something burning in his kitchen. He tossed and turned in his bed, before he suddenly jumped up, eyes wide open. "! A fire?!"
 
He clambered as fast as his feet could take him to the kitchen to be greeted by the sight of smoke everywhere and a Lee Jihoon hunched over the sink. 

"!" Jihoon yelped as he dumped the burnt pan under running water, hand retracting when he accidentally touched the burning surface. 

Seungcheol strode over to the smaller and sighed, bringing Jihoon's hands to his mouth to on the wound. "You're an idiot." He mumbled out between . 

Jihoon scowled, "I hope you brushed your damn teeth."

~

Jihoon and Seungcheol sat on the dining table, both munching on toast and some scrambled eggs that Seungcheol managed to whip up. Seungcheol commented with mock surprise, "Were you cooking this morning Mr Lee? Or were you trying to burn down my apartment? I did not pass you my keys to the apartment for you to tear it down."

Jihoon pouted. "I wanted to make you breakfast, it's your birthday after all. Asswipe."

A small smile lit up the older's face and he tapped the pout on Jihoon's lips. "Thanks Jihoonie."

"Happy birthday Cheol. So what's the plan for today?"

"Hmm... It's a surprise."

"That's ironic. Birthday boy giving me a surprise."

Seungcheol chuckled as he picked his plates and headed to the sink. "I'm the birthday boy and whatever I say is law. We leave at 10!"

~

Jihoon fidgeted uncomfortably in his seat as Seungcheol parked the car. The amusement park staring right back at his fear stricken face. He visibly shuddered and gulped the ball of anxiety forming in his throat. Like horror movies, roller coasters were never his forte. 
Seungcheol pulled Jihoon into a bone crushing hug as he stepped out of the car. "Don't worry princess, I'll protect you. We will have fun, I'll make sure of it."

Jihoon could only grumble in response, "I'm not a bloody princess." But his heart calmed for he knew that Seungcheol would indeed protect him. He always did. 

"Let's ride that one first then!" Seungcheol hollered as he dragged Jihoon to a large roller coaster called The Cyclone. 

Jihoon swore. Seungcheol may have promised to protect him but that did not mean that the taller did not enjoy watching him suffer. 

~

The queue for the ride had been long, and the two males were waiting impatiently. Seungcheol, because he wanted to ride it as soon as possible, whereas Jihoon just wanted to get it over and done with. 

"Jihoon, how's life?"

"What? What do you mean. It's the usual."

"I mean your pretend love life."

Jihoon shrugged. "We are putting on a good show. Are you enjoying the performance?"

Seungcheol broke out into a laugh, but if Jihoon had listened hard enough, he would have been able to hear a soft 'no' leaving the other's mouth. 

The two males had continued to catch up with each other, filling in details of their lives (even though they haven't talked for only a week). Without them knowing, they were next in line for the ride and Jihoon broke out in cold sweat. "I don't think I can do this."

"Don't be silly! We did not queue for 30 minutes for you to chicken out right when it's our turn."

"Cheol... I- wait wait! Oh my god! Cheol I will absolutely die and I'll kill you!" Jihoon pulled against the older's grip. The staff were gesturing them to their designated seats as the roller coaster rolled in, and Seungcheol had excitedly complied, dragging an (extremely) unwilling Jihoon beside him, where they were strapped in, fates sealed. 

"I'm going to die." Jihoon chanted over and over again like a mantra. 

Seungcheol gripped the smaller's cold hand in his. "I'm right here."

" . Oh . We are going up! . We are almost at the top. No no n- AHHHHHHHHHHH!"

The roller coaster made an abrupt drop, and Jihoon screamed his lungs out. Seungcheol's laugh resonated in the air, harmonising with Jihoon's banshee screams. 

~

"That was fun!" Seungcheol clapped happily. 

Jihoon sat slumped over on the bench, hands cradling his head. He had just puked out his breakfast. "For you." He spat out. 

"C'mon! We will ride something less scary now okay?"

Jihoon frowned. Right at this moment, he wondered why he was friends with Seungcheol as he pointed to the carousel. He could only sigh in defeat. Seungcheol was the birthday boy. 

~

Kim Mingyu entered the coffee shop and strode to the brunette who sat by the window. 

"How peculiar for you to call to meet me here Mr Kwon. I don't presume it's regarding business?" Mingyu sat opposite the said male. 

Soonyoung pushed the cup of americano he had bought prior to Mingyu's arrival. The other gladly accepted the free drink. 

"It's not regarding business."

Mingyu ginned cheekily. "I don't suppose you wish to build rapport with me either."

Soonyoung frowned. Kim Mingyu was sassing him. "What's your relationship with Jihoon?" 

Mingyu chuckled. He had predicted this situation ever since he noticed Kwon Soonyoung in the ramen shop when he had asked Jihoon out for lunch. What he did not predict was it happening this quickly. Director Kwon must have been that much jealous. "I'm Jihoonie hyung's favourite dongsaeng." 

Soonyoung scowled. "Self proclaimed favourite dongsaeng. I'm going to get straight to the point. Stop being so close to Jihoon. I don't like it."

Mingyu took a sip of his americano. "Oh my. Is the boyfriend threatened by me?"

Soonyoung growled. 

"Calm down tiger. The person you should be worried about is someone else, not me."

That comment had definitely snatched the older's attention. "What do you mean."

"Think about it Mr Kwon. Jihoon hyung is my first love,"

Soonyoung flinched. He had guessed as much. 

"and yet, why do you think I haven't made a move? Simple. I couldn't."

"Cut to the chase!" Soonyoung tapped impatiently on the table, teeth biting his lips in annoyance. 

"Who is the person that was always with Jihoon hyung ever since the start of time? Give it some thought? It's really simple."

Soonyoung thought pensively. 

"You know the guy Mr Kwon."

"Director Choi Seungcheol? They're best friends."

Mingyu broke out into uncontrollable fits of laughter, like as if Soonyoung told the funniest joke in the world. Wiping away an imaginary tear from the corner of his eye, Mingyu's expression became sad. "Oh yeah? I want you to look into Seungcheol hyung's eyes whenever he's with Jihoon hyung. Look into his eyes and see if you can tell if they are best friends."

Soonyoung felt his world crumbling. There was absolutely no way that Seungcheol would think of Jihoon as more than a friend. Jihoon also only saw Seungcheol as a friend... Right? 

~

"Seungcheol, it's late. We should head back for dinner!" Jihoon whined. His body was screaming to return home. Seungcheol may have the body of a grown man, but his energy level was that of a child. 

Seungcheol smiled at the smaller and pat his head, every action laced with affection. "Okay Jihoonie. But let's ride one last ride. The Ferris wheel is the best place to watch the fireworks."

Jihoon conceded. He could never really say no to Seungcheol anyway. 

The two males entered the carriage and Seungcheol settled beside the smaller. The carriage door closed and Jihoon hummed as the machine whirred into life. Jihoon stared out into the night, stars lighting up the sky. "It's beautiful."

Seungcheol, whose eyes never left Jihoon's face, mumbled, "Yeah, the view is great."

The ride remained in silence, both men simply enjoying the time together. Their relationship was such that they could be doing separate things, not caring about each other at all, yet still feel connected. As long as they were together, it did not matter what the other did. 

The sky ignited as fireworks cut through the darkness. The cackling of fireworks and bright flares reflected in Jihoon's and Seungcheol's eyes as their carriaged approached the top of the ride. Seungcheol sighed and nestled his head on Jihoon's shoulder. "Happy birthday Cheol. Make a wish!" Jihoon's soft voice resonated in the taller's ear. He closed his eyes and brought his fisted hands up to his chest. 

Releasing a sigh, Seungcheol breathed out. "I'm done."

"What did you wish for?"

"I can't tell you! Then it won't come true!"

Jihoon rolled his eyes, "Don't be stupid Cheol."

"Nope, ain't telling." Seungcheol shook his head, adamant against revealing his wishes to the younger. 

"You're an idiot."

"Then you're an even bigger idiot for being my friend."

"No regrets though." Jihoon beamed, eyes looking out into the distance as the sounds of fireworks filled the silence. 

Seungcheol could only smile as he felt he heart swell. 

~
It was almost 11pm and Seungcheol was driving Jihoon back home. The car rolled to a stop as Seungcheol put the car on park, his expression uncharacteristically solemn. 

"Jihoon, don't you think it's about time the show ended?"

Jihoon peered at the taller's face. Seungcheol had a mellow look on his face. His sudden serious tone had put him on the edge. The older's sudden statement had caught him by surprise. "Show? What...?"

"Stop the act. Stop pretending to be Soonyoung's boyfriend."

Jihoon felt the other caress his cheeks and he heated up. Seungcheol stared into his orbs, his own expression unreadable. Jihoon screamed internally. He was always able to read Seungcheol like an open book. The Seungcheol now was a mystery. 

"Wha-"

Seungcheol cut Jihoon's words. "You said you would do whatever I tell you to do since its my birthday. The clock hasn't struck 12. I want you to stop pretending to be Soonyoung's boyfriend." 

Authors note: 
Hey everyone! Sorry for the super long MIA. But I had problems writing the chapter. Hahha I had quite a writers block. I'll try updating more regularly hahaha. Thanks everyone!