Sacrifices

Let's play pretend

Soonyoung side-eyed Seungkwan as he slid into the seat opposite him, with Jihoon following, now sitting diagonal from him.

"This is nice!" Seokmin chirped beside Soonyoung. "We've never had lunch together before. All four of us."

"That's because somebody is desperate." Seungkwan commented as he flipped through the menu. "Are you treating Mr Kwon?"

Jihoon chided, "Don't push it Seungkwan. I'll pay today."

Soonyoung quickly raised his hands and flapped them, rejecting Jihoon's offer. "No! I'll pay. I want to pay."

Seokmin beamed and placed the menu flat on the table, "Brilliant! I'll have the most expensive thing on the menu."

"Same here." Seungkwan added.

Jihoon broke out into laughter, brushing his hair out of his eyes. Soonyoung on the other hand pouted, and grumbled under his breath, "Freeloaders."

~

The waiter had just finished bringing them all their food before the four males happily dug into their long awaited lunch. They had settled into a comfortable atmosphere, with Seungkwan and Seokmin engaged in bright comversation, Jihoon piping in here and then in between mouthfuls of food. Soonyoung on the other hand remained silent for most of the meal, too busy watching Jihoon taking in everything the man did.

Unknowingly, Soonyoung stood up and leaned across the table. He the pad of his thumb and brought it to wipe the corner of Jihoon's mouth, finger gently wiping the smaller's lips.

"Had some sauce there." Soonyoung stated as he brought his sauce stained finger to his mouth, it clean before sitting back down.

The whole table fell into silence. Jihoon had froze up the moment Soonyoung touched his lips, turning bright red. Seungkwan gaped beside him, face turning slightly peachy himself. Seokmin cleared his throat, "Well, that was... nice?"

Jihoon snapped out of his trance and wiped his lips with his own napkin. He fought to keep the blush from further deepening on his cheeks. "I appreciate the effort Soonyoung, but that's not what friends do."

Soonyoung brought his free hand to his chest in mock surprise, "What rubbish! Friends do that all the time!" To prove his point, the male brought his thumb to Seokmin's mouth, and not too gently wiped the entire length of his lips. "See?"

Seokmin sputtered in pure alarm and shock. He recoiled from Soonyoung's touch and slapped his palms over his own lips, staring widely at his friend with fear-stricken eyes. Soonyoung could not help the smile creeping onto his face. Touching Seokmin's lips was definitely tortuous for him, but hey, no pain no gain. He had a great lunch. The same could not be said for Seokmin.

~

Jihoon had tried. He also appreciated the fact that Soonyoung tried his best as well, albeit failing. He knew Soonyoung tried to keep their relationship platonic. But even Jihoon was finding it hard to remain as friends. They texted everyday, almost constantly, the only time they did not text was when they could not text. Basically when they were neck deep with work. They talked about anything and everything. They had lunch together, sometimes with Seokmin, sometimes with Seungkwan, sometimes with just the two of them. It was like as if they were getting to know each other again, refamiliarising themselves with each other, learning something new about the other each day. Jihoon could not stop the spark of warmth that ignited in his chest everytime he say the older in the lounge, smiling his signature smile muttering a 'Hey you' while sipping on his coffee. He could not help the smile that bloomed on his face everytime Soonyoung 'accidentally' brushed his hand with his own, when he held onto his hands because the older did not want his hands to freeze in the winter that was quickly approaching as this was what 'friends' would do. Jihoon could not help that he remained crazily in love with Soonyoung, and his actions towards Jihoon did nothing to help quell his growing adoration for the male.

What managed to quell his raging heart, was his ever growing stack of paperwork. In the past few weeks, Jihoon had slowly but surely got about cle

aring projects that had piled up from his slump, and was finalizing proposals and revising some of them. Without even realizing the time, the sun had settled below the horizons, the sky turning purple, with hues of pink and blue.

Jihoon laid his head on his arm, wriggling his whole body into his seat, trying to find the most comfortable position. Just 10 minutes. Without him knowing, he quickly drifted to sleep.

Jihoon was stuck between deep sleep and his subconscious when he felt something poking his cheek. That hand was annoying the out of him. He grunted, his free hand reaching out to grasp onto the hand which tapped on his cheeks repeatedly. Seungkwan always forced him up from his slumber to chase him home. He was about to scold Seungkwan for stealing his rare sleeping time when the warmth of the hand rubbing circles onto the back of his hand promptly lulled him back to sleep.

When Jihoon woke up with a start, the sky had turned black. He blinked several times, trying to regain his bearings. He turned to look beside him and was left flabbergasted. There before him was a Kwon Soonyoung sitting on his desk right beside his head. Soonyoung's was playing on his phone with one hand, and his other had was in Jihoon's. Soonyoung's grip on Jihoon's hand remained warm and gentle. It sent Jihoon's heart leaping in his chest and a blush was rising from his neck to colour his cheeks.

Jihoon quietly pulled his hand out of Soonyoung's grasp, peeking to look at the blonde's expression, accidentally meeting the said male's eyes. Jihoon cleared his throat and muttered out, "I'm sorry. I thought you were Seungkwan. Why didn't you say anything?"

Soonyoung got up from the desk and started stretching, smirk never leaving his face. "And what was I supposed to say? Wow I wish Jihoon would do this everyday?"

"Sh-shut up." Jihoon blushed bright red, further deepening the color that painted his cheeks.

"That is what I definitely would have said." Soonyoung laughed.

"We are friends Soonyoung." Jihoon berated.

"That's what friends do." Soonyoung replied.

"Do not." Jihoon countered.

"Do to!"

Jihoon sighed. He was not going to let himself be into Soonyoung's child-like radiance. He was going to resist. They were not lovers. They were friends.

Soonyoung exhaled as he watched Jihoon think. "I can't do this anymore Jihoonie. I can't just pretend that I don't love you, because I do. I can't hide that. I refuse to hide it. I'm not asking for your undying love. Just... Just let me love you. Let me win your heart."

Jihoon swallowed the lump in his throat. He cannot say that he did not see this coming. He has seen the look in Soonyoung's eyes, his frustration when he could not hold Jihoon's hand. But honestly, he was not sure if he was ready to jump into a relationship with Soonyoung. Getting back together with the taller meant so much more. It did not just involve the two of them, it involved their families, their friends, the media. Jihoon did not know if he was ready to face the world just yet, with or without Soonyoung by his side.

~

"Why are we doing this again?" Soonyoung whines.

Jihoon smiled as the beach came into view, dragging Soonyoung with his right hand. "Because, I miss the beach!"

Seungcheol rolls his eyes. "And why must he come?" Pointing accusingly at Soonyoung.

Soonyoung throws his hands up in exasperation, "Exactly! Why must he come!"

Jihoon shakes his head as he simultaneously dragged Seungcheol with his left hand. "Well Soonyoung, being friends with me also means being friends with my best friend. And Cheol, be nice."

"Argh!" The both men lagging behind the smaller groaned in unison.

It was a sunny Saturday morning, the weather reports confirmed it (although they were not true for the most part) and Jihoon had excitedly texted Soonyoung and Seungcheol to go to the beach the day before. Both males had readily agreed to Jihoon's request, but they definitely did not expect to see another face other than the smaller's when they arrived at Jihoon's apartment that morning. Now the both of them

were unwillingly dragged to the beach, where they would spend the day with a third wheel.

Jihoon glanced around and pick a shady spot right under a tree. He set his backpack down and pulled out a large picnic mat. "Come on boys, be a little excited will you? It's the beach! A nice break from the concrete jungle."

The other two just stared blankly at him as he patted down any creases on the mat. Jihoon puffed out a breath of air, "Besides, I brought food."

Seungcheol raised his eyebrows at his comment. This time, he set his own bag down onto the corner of the mat to prevent it from flying if any gusts of wind were to terrorize their spot. "You cooked? You can't cook for the love of-"

"I bought the sandwiches. Thank you very much." Jihoon cut Seungcheol off before he could even finish his sentence.

Seungcheol chuckled as he pulled out two three-tiered lunch boxes, setting them in the middle of the mat. "Lucky for you, I cooked."

Jihoon's face lighted up as he stared at the stack of food before him. He his lips, unconsciously touching his tummy, "I knew I could count on you Cheol."

Soonyoung who was standing awkwardly finally spoke up, "And I brought floats! And champagne, for the occasion." The male settled himself on the mat before the food, eyes twinkling. "I've never had three-tiered lunch boxes before..."

Seungcheol laughed as he made himself comfortable around the food as well, the three forming a triangle around their lunch. "Knock yourself out Soonyoung."

The three fell into a comfortable conversation. It was expected really. They were around the same age, worked in the same company and had similar interests. Besides, what better way to bond than to gossip right?

"I feel like Seokmin has the hots for Seungkwan. My best friend instincts says so." Soonyoung supplied.

Seungcheol snorted. "Nah man. I feel like their more bros. Seungkwan has someone that he's interested in already."

"What?! Really?" Jihoon was surprised. He did not realize Seungkwan was smitten wth somebody. The boy was usually quite obvious.

"Yeah, at least I think so." Seungcheol nodded more to himself than to anyone.

Soonyoung brought his finger up to his chin. "I should probably interrogate Seokmin the next time I see him. And if he doesn't admit... Torture!"

Seungcheol cracked up, lying on his elbows as he threw his head back. Soonyoung likewise fell into a fit of giggles, patting his full belly. Jihoon beamed at the sight before him. His two favourite people other than his family were getting along exceptionally well. He had expected some teeth and claws, but this situation had been beyond his imaginations. "I'm going to go get ice cream. My treat, as a reward for getting along." Jihoon got up from his sitting position and strolled off in search for the cooling treat.

The two males that remained fell into silence, Seungcheol staring up at the blue sky, while Soonyoung stared out at sea, into the horizon.

Soonyoung spoke up, shattering the peace that settled between them. "I don't hate you Seungcheol. In fact, after today, I think you're a really cool guy."

"I don't hate you too." Seungcheol's reply hung in the air.

"But seeing how we both like Jihoon romantically, that just makes you my natural enemy." Soonyoung smiled bitterly.

"I want to be friends though."

Soonyoung's head shot to stare at Seungcheol quizzically. He watched as Seungcheol faced him as well.

"I don't see why we can't be friends just because we like the same guy Soonyoung."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah."

The silence returned, enveloping the two males.

"I'm sorry Seungcheol, but I have a very selfish request." Soonyoung muttered under his breath.

Interested by Soonyoung's statement, Seungcheol sat back up and gave his full attention to Soonyoung. "What is it."

The black haired male played with his fingers as he looked back down at the mat, afraid to meet Seungcheol's eyes. "Please don't confess your feelings to Jihoon." Soonyoung heard the hitch in breath taken in by Seungcheol, he felt that atmosphere turn icy cold. But he had to do this. "I know this is selfish of me, but... I can't lose Jihoon. I don't know what he would do if he found out that you..."

"Like him too?" Seungcheol continued for Soonyoung, voice evidently weary and frustrated.

"Yeah... I'm sorry." Soonyoung felt ashamed. He was really in no position to be demanding things from the other, but once the thought of losing the smaller entered his mind, it snowballed into something so overwhelming that he himself could not stop the words from flowing out of his mouth.

Seungcheol took in a deep breath and exhaled. He rubbed his palms against his face as Soonyoung watched intently. "Okay."

"What?" Soonyoung thought he had heard wrong. Did Seungcheol just say okay?

"I said okay. I've thought long and hard about this. Days and nights. You really love him, and as much as he tries to hide it, Jihoon is crazy for you too. Who am I to come in between the two of you?" Seungcheol deflated to lie back onto the mat beneath him. He was resigned to fate. One could not have everything he wanted in life.

"Seungcheol... But..." Soonyoung was uncertain how to react. He would fight for it if Seungcheol had rejected and declined Soonyoung's request. But the said male was willing, he was willing to step back. Why?

Seungcheol glanced at the apprehensive man and chuckled, "Regretting already Kwon? Don't feel bad. If you love him, you only want what's best for him right? But if you ever make him cry, my fist would be the first thing you meet."

"Gladly. I won't make him cry anymore. I won't be able to live with myself if I do." Soonyoung clenched his fist as he laid back down onto the mat. Staring at the same blue sky as Seungcheol.

The sky was beautiful, crystal blue with dots of fluffy white clouds. Soonyoung was talking in the peaceful quiet and refreshing sight when a head popped into his line of sight.

"What are you guys doing? Get up! The ice cream are melting already. You're going to have to them off my fingers if you lie any longer." Jihoon instructed as he prodded Soonyoung's thigh with his foot.

"Now I don't want to get up at all." Soonyoung replied cheekily. Things can only get better from here on out.