El Diablo

Let's play pretend

“Wait. Repeat what you said again. I think I heard you wrongly. Did you just say that Soonyoung is in Jihoon’s office?”

Seokmin was rooted to his seat. Standing before him was a slim, beautiful lady. Her doe eyes were lined with pitch black eye-liner, and her lips tinted ruby red. Her skin was pale and flawless. If fairy tales were real, she would be the perfect embodiment of snow white. The helpless man gulped visibly. What is the evil ex doing here?

“Yes Hyeyoung, you heard it right. Soonyoung is with Jihoon right now.”

Hyeyoung raised her brow, unimpressed. “And where exactly is this Jihoon person?”

Seokmin got up and pointed to across the hall to Jihoon’s office. “Knock yourself out princess.”

Hyeyoung strutted away, swiping her hair into Seokmin’s face as she left. The male sputtered as the taste of thousands of hair products invaded his mouth. Without any delay, Seokmin fished out his phone from his trouser pocket and typed a text to Seungkwan: El Diablo.

~

Soonyoung was seated on the corner of Jihoon’s table, watching him as he typed away on his laptop.

“There isn’t time to slack Kwon. We still have Mingyu’s project we have yet to get started on.”

The blonde clicked his tongue. (Soonyoung had wanted to try a new colour other than the same old boring brown. His choice of dyeing it blonde was definitely not because Jihoon had mentioned he liked the colour once. Although the smaller’s reaction when he saw the change did make Soonyoung’s year.)  “That filthy giant said that perfection needed time. I’m just letting perfection work right now.”

Jihoon shook his head. “You’re simply not working Soonyoung. And don’t call my dongsaeng that!”

Soonyoung was about to retort with a haughty statement, something along the lines of “The only thing precious to you should be me.” But the words never left his mouth as a young woman strode into the room, and almost as fast as lightning, she pulled Kwon Soonyoung by the collar and slammed her lips onto his.

~

Things happened to quickly. Seungkwan heard his phone ring and he pulled it out. As he read Seokmin’s text, a shadow flitted past his eyes, all he could see were the ends of hair as they fluttered in the wind. He was too slow. He could not react fast enough as the woman tore through Jihoon’s office door. Seungkwan was devastated. He was no match for the devil. But the said man refused to believe it. The devil was able to infiltrate due to one reason, and one reason only, and that was because Seungkwan was notified too late to do anything. Seokmin that slow bastard.

~

Jihoon froze, eyes widening as he witnessed the scene in front of him. Entirely caught by surprise, Soonyoung was unable to react in time as his lips collided with another pair of lips that did not belong to Jihoon. The moment the gears in his head started working again, Soonyoung pushed against the lady before him, bringing the back of his palms against his red stained lips, rubbing angrily. “The is wrong with you!”

Soonyoung looked up to stare at the intruder of personal space when his eyes met hers. Hyeyoung daintily wiped the corner of her lips with her thumb, shrugging indignantly. “Just wanted to make sure you remembered the bliss that came with kissing me Soonie. I mean, that was the only reason you turned to him,” Hyeyoung pointed at Jihoon, stunned on his chair. “right? You must have been lonely after I left. But it is alright dear. I’m back now.”

Jihoon pursed his lips in annoyance. Did he just get dissed by a stranger? “Look, I don’t know what this is, but could you take this drama out of my office?”

Soonyoung snapped out of his stupor and he dashed for Hyeyoung. He grabbed her by the wrist, and all but gently dragged her out towards his own office. They were gone like the wind. Jihoon flinched as Soonyoung slammed his door on his way out, the mystery princess in his tow. The smaller huffed. Soonyoung didn’t even say anything.

~

Soonyoung shut the door to his office and he unceremoniously threw Hyeyoung’s hand away. “Jung Hyeyoung! What the are you doing here?”

Soonyoung was mad. No. Mad was the understatement of the century. Soonyoung was downright seething. He swore he would never see nor speak to Hyeyoung again. Yet here she was, screwing with him.

Hyeyoung pouted. “Aww Soonie. I know you were pissed when I left. But I’m here now. I’m ba-“

“Leave. I don’t need you screwing with my life again Hyeyoung.”

Hyeyoung’s expression darkened, she too was starting to be annoyed with Soonyoung’s attitude. “Look Soonyoung. You don’t have to pretend to date that Jihoon guy anymore. I know it is all a front till I came back. Now you can come back to me. I never stopped loving you.”

“But I did.” Soonyoung grit his teeth. Hyeyoung was definitely testing his patience. If not for Jihoon increasing his tolerance meter, he was not sure what he would be doing to her right now. “Now leave Hyeyoung.”

“This is not over Soonyoung. First loves can never be forgotten.” Hyeyoung muttered as she picked up her bag from the ground and left.

~

Seungkwan sat across from Seokmin as the said male scarfed down his ramen.

“So, you said you were bestfriends with Kwon Soonyoung since forever.”

“Yeap! Ever since middle school!” Seokmin slurped on his bowl, relishing the sweet taste of MSG.

Seungkwan slammed his chopsticks on the table, staring accusedly at his friend. “Stop eating and spill the damn beans you pig!”

Seokmin recoiled, bringing his hands up in defence to the monster before him. “Okay! Okay! Gosh! Can’t a man eat in peace?”

~

Soonyoung was not always as screwed up as he was now with regards to the love department. Soonyoung was charismatic and handsome, and the male was aware. He used his charms to his advantage, hence he was always popular with his peers. He was not the most serious in his relationships though. But all that changed in high school. Soonyoung met Hyeyoung. Hyeyoung had been in the same class as Soonyoung in freshman year. They were not friends, but due to unforeseen circumstances (such as the teacher pairing them up for a huge science project), the two were forced to work with each other. Soonyoung was suave and smart, Hyeyoung was shy and meek. But slowly, the noisy Soonyoung had broken down Hyeyoung’s walls and revealed a spunky, witty, cheeky girl beneath that gentle façade. They had developed a unique bond over the course of one year. They became best friends. Never a day were they apart. Hyeyoung was integrated into Soonyoung’s group of friends, Seokmin included. They would hang out together almost every day. Soonyoung was young and happy, and he unconsciously developed feelings for Hyeyoung.

Sparks between the two were undeniable. Soonyoung was the prince of the school, and Hyeyoung became the princess when the two finally got together. It was a sweet love and Soonyoung was absolutely devoted. He would shower the girl with gifts and love. They had been together for two years. Soonyoung could not see anyone else but Hyeyoung, however, over the months, he could feel Hyeyoung distancing herself away from him. Whenever he asked her about it, she would shake her head, denying everything, her response being that she was tired. Soonyoung was like any hormonal male, and on one perfect night, where the mood was absolutely sweet and romantic, he dipped his hands below Hyeyoung’s shirt. What shocked him the most was that he was met with strong protests from his girlfriend. She whimpered, saying that she was not ready and that she was afraid. Soonyoung, being the lovestruck puppy that he was, immediately stopped his actions and apologised profusely to Hyeyoung for scaring her. He swore that he was with her because he loved her and not just for her body. That night as Hyeyoung fell asleep in Soonyoung’s arms, the said male lay awake, eyes glued to the purple bruises that decorated Hyeyoung’s neck. Yet he refused to think that the innocent girl would ever cheat on him.

Even when Seokmin approached the said male one night. “Bro, you’ve got to wake up. She’s obviously seeing someone else.”

“Shut up Seokmin. You don’t know her. You don’t know us.”

“She’s ing some other dude!” Seokmin grew angry. Soonyoung was choosing to not see it even though the evidence was staring right before him. The hickeys, the secret texts, the coldness. Soonyoung refused to see them.

“Shut the up!” Soonyoung bellowed as his fist connected with Seokmin’s abdomen.

Seokmin crumpled onto the ground, gasping for air. Soonyoung stared at his own hands, dumbfounded. He punched his own best friend. “Seok-“

“This is why all your friends left you Soonyoung.” Seokmin whispered out as Soonyoung ran away from him.

That night, Soonyoung walked into a club, intent on getting drunk. But what he saw and heard would remain etched in his mind forever. There was Hyeyoung, sitting by the bar, making out with one of the bartenders. He could vaguely hear their conversation.

“Stop playing with him princess.”

“I can’t. He is filthy rich and he is the only reason why my dad is still able to work today.”

“You’re so evil you know that?” The tall male chuckled as he kissed Hyeyoung once again. “Acting like you’re a damsel in distress. Little does he know that he was being played all this time.”

Soonyoung felt the world crumble beneath him. Despite the noise surrounding them, he could hear their conversation loud and clear. Hyeyoung’s voice rung in his head. Seokmin had been right all along.  Soonyoung willed himself to move. To run to them and to punch the guy square in the jaw. Beat him up for touching his girl. But was Hyeyoung even his? The wave of betrayal overtook him. He felt the tears leak from the corner of his eyes as his legs carried him towards Hyeyoung.

It was like as if the world moved in slow motion. Soonyoung watched on as Hyeyoung’s expression changed from sheer joy to something that came out of a horror movie as she laid her eyes on him. He closed in on the two. His voice was low, dripping with venom, yet surprisingly calm.

“Jung Hyeyoung, from this moment on, we are over. Never speak to me. Never appear in front of me ever again. I cannot guarantee what would happen to you if you ever did show up, but it won’t be pretty. And you?” Soonyoung turned to Hyeyoung’s boytoy. “I will destroy you.”

Ever since that night, Soonyoung became a changed man. He had begged his friends for forgiveness but Seokmin had been the only one to forgive him. Hyeyoung disappeared and her boyfriend had no choice but to move. It was probably for the best. There was no way he would be able to get a job in South Korea anymore.

Soonyoung partied almost every night then on, and banged almost every living being in the clubs he frequented. He was a beast and the word love never existed in his dictionary ever again. Being a natural genius, he was still able to ace college, but his social life was never the same. He would wake up next to a new stranger every few days and his steeled his heart. His relationships were all body and he refused to have it any other way.

~

“And that is why I was so surprised when Jihoon entered his life!”

Seungkwan did a double take. “Hold up. You are saying that Jihoon changed that?!”

Seokmin smiled fondly as he leaned back in his seat. “Soonyoung felt absolutely betrayed and his soul was crushed.  I was so sure that he would die of AIDS someday, alone and in pain. But then Jihoon happened. I don’t know how, but he changed Soonyoung.”

Seungkwan never felt more proud of his friend at that moment. But then reality slapped him harshly in the face. “. Hyeyoung is back for Soonyoung.”

Seokmin sighed dejectedly. “I know right. this . El diablo has returned.”

~

Soonyoung tried to grab Jihoon’s attention as the said male was busy working on his proposal.

“What do you want now Soonyoung?”

Soonyoung flinched at Jihoon’s cold tone. He kind of expected it when he left his office that morning without any explanations. “I want to explain what happened this morning.”

“No need to. It is your life. If a lady decides to come into my office to eat your face, then so be it.”

“It isn’t like that babe. She is just an ex.”

Now that statement got Jihoon interested. “You have a million exes Soonyoung. What makes her so special to barge in and call you ‘Soonie’?”

Soonyoung fidgeted under the smaller’s scrutiny. He played with his fingers but decided to just come clean with the brunette. “Hyeyoung was my first and last love. She is nothing but a past I wish to erase.”

Jihoon felt his heart drop. First love. Someone like Soonyoung had a first love. But the fact that Soonyoung said she was his last love really struck him where it hurt. If she was his last love, what was he exactly? Oh right. I’m just another lie in his life. The smaller felt bitter and hurt. Which really did not make sense. Their relationship was built on a foundation of lies. Soonyoung did not need to account to him.  He should not feel intimidated by Hyeyoung. He did not even stand a chance.

Jihoon muttered a reply, but Soonyoung was too preoccupied trying to come up with a reason as to why Hyeyoung was back to hear him. “So will I be. A past you wish to erase.”

A/N: Hi everyone. Today we have a longer chapter! Yay! Hope you guys will enjoy the chapter! The story has never left my head, it is just I findd  it harder to write coherently. Plus, I am too lazy to check for any errors, so please excuse them. Do subscribe and upvote if you have like the story so far! Comments are loved. Let me know how you feel, and  what you can't wait to see etc. Thanks!!