Fights worth fighting for

Let's play pretend

Soonyoung stormed in front of Seungkwan’s desk, effectively scaring the other with his menacing aura that morning. “Where is jihoon?” Soonyoung seethed.

Seungkwan unknowingly shivered under Soonyoung’s glare. “Jihoon isn’t coming into work today. He called in this morning saying that-“ Before Seungkwan could finish his sentence, Soonyoung had left, leaving dust in his wake.

Seungkwan sighed as he booted up his computer. There was nothing he could do for the both of them. They would have to fix this mess themselves.

~

Soonyoung sped at a speed that left much to be desired. But honestly, he could not really care much about his safety right now. The blonde dangerously swerved into the next lane without warning, the car behind him blaring their horns. Soonyoung could not really process what was happening. It was like as if his body worked by itself, acting on instinct. No thoughts could cross his mind as he sped towards Jihoon’s apartment.

In record timing, Soonyoung arrived at his destination and he pulled up into a parking lot. As he made his way towards the unit, Soonyoung started to wonder why he came. What would he even say? What would he do? But honestly speaking, the screaming rage within him was volumes louder than his voice of reason. Hence he pushed all doubts out of his head as he brought his fist to the door, pounding relentlessly.

~

Jihoon curled in bed as he carefully the swollen flesh under his eye. He remembers his conversation with reporter, remembers his words that sound like venom.

“Soonyoung and I are no longer together. Please make sure to get this out to the public.”

Jihoon wonders if he made the right choice, taking things into his own hands. But then the image of a joyful Soonyoung running through open fields with a beaming Hyeyoung flashes through his head, and he cannot find it in him to regret. This is for Soonyoung. He tells himself, or at least tries to convince himself that what he did was for the better.

His thoughts were interrupted by loud bangs at his door. Jihoon slowly crawled out of his bed as the bangs increased in volume. His hair was unkempt, still dressed in his dress shirt from last night. At least he had the decency to change out of his trousers into shorts. The bout of tears that overcame him after announcing his breakup to the reporter definitely took a toll on his energy levels. As Jihoon approached his door, the poundings never laid up. Jihoon groaned out, “I’m coming. Geez… Who is it-“

Soonyoung burst through the door the moment the younger did as much as unlocking it. Jihoon stumbled back in shock as the blonde pushed through his front door and into his apartment, slamming the door behind him. The brunette could barely regain his bearings before the blonde started closing in on him, taking large steps towards him. All the red flags in Jihoon’s mind flew up as he hastily retreated, trying to get as much distance between them. His action however became futile as he felt his lower back pressed against the table, Soonyoung’s hands placed on both sides of his hips, effectively caging him. The smaller could only lean as far back from Soonyoung’s face as possible, which now seemed stupid as the said male brought his face a mere centimetre away from Jihoon’s.

“Wh-what are you doing?” Jihoon stuttered out, a shiver running down his back as he felt Soonyoung’s warm breath against his lips.

“What are you doing then Lee? Why are you doing this to me?”

Jihoon bit onto his lower lip as he tried to look at anything other than Soonyoung’s brown orbs. He looked like as if he was in pain. This was definitely not the outcome Jihoon had predicted. Soonyoung was supposed to be happy with Jung Hyeyoung.

“Why is it that you’re the one that breaks up with me but you look like a train wreck?” Soonyoung gingerly brings his fingers to trace the curves of Jihoon’s eyes, thumbing the tear marks on his pale cheeks. “Why were you crying Jihoon?”

Jihoon felt himself melt into the blonde’s touches, and he silently curses himself for acting this way. None was not the time to fall for his charms.

“I wasn’t crying.” Jihoon had hoped to sound indignant, but all that came out was a mere whisper.

Soonyoung sighed, “Don’t do this to me. To us! If you must, we can stop pretending. Let’s make this real instead. Please Jihoon.”

Jihoon could not understand the older’s intentions. Why was he grovelling for him when he had Hyeyoung. “There is no turning back Soonyoung. It’s over. Hyeyoung is waiting for you.”

At the mention of her name, Soonyoung tore away from Jihoon, hand clutching his hair. He screamed out, “What does that person have anything to do with this? What, did she say anything to you? Why the hell are you even bringing her up?”

Jihoon fumed at Soonyoung’s outburst. The older had no rights to get mad at him. He was suffering for the best interest of eeveryone. Kwon Soonyoung had no rights to blow up at him! “Don’t ing play dumb Kwon! How much longer were you going to play me! Just get back with her and lead that happy perfect life!”

Soonyoung snapped back around and stared straight into Jihoon’s eyes. “Say that again or so help me God.” Sonyoung said almost challengingly.

“ing get back together with Jung Hyeyoung and leave me alone!” Jihoon roared, chest heaving.

Soonyoung grabbed both of Jihoon’s biceps, swinging him around. His back came into contact with the wall behind him, knocking all the air out of his lungs as Soonyoung loomed above him. The blonde crashed his lips against Jihoon’s, biting down hard and forcing his tongue in.

“Mmph!” Jihoon struggled against Soonyoung’s vice-like grip, trying to push the taller away as Soonyoung’s hand gripped onto his chin, body pinning him into place.

Jihoon pushed desperately, adrenaline pumping through his veins. With every last ounce of strength, he bit onto Soonyoung’s tongue, eliciting a pained growl from the other. Caught up in surprise, Jihoon managed to push Soonyoung away. The smaller bent over, bring his hand to wipe away the fresh blood at his lips. That was definitely going to bruise. “The kiss was better when we were pretending. Leave.” The brunette said, voice abnormally calm, although his hands would not stop shaking.

Soonyoung snapped back to reality and he finally managed to process the scene before him. “Ji-jihoon…”

“Leave!” Jihoon screeched.

Soonyoung headed towards the door of the apartment, “I’m so sorry” he whispered out before shutting the door behind him.

Jihoon brought his quivering hands to cup his face. He pressed his face deeper against his palms as the sobs left his lips. His cries resounded throughout the apartment. Just outside the door, Soonyoung remained, back pressed against the wood. The sounds of Jihoon’s cries cut through his heart like glass. Soonyoung felt his legs weaken as he slid down. He brought his knees towards his chest, letting a fresh wave of tears hit him. He blew it big time.

~

Soonyoung could not remember how long he had just sat in front of Jihoon’s door. For the longest of time he was crying, but when the tears dried out, he had just sat there unmoving. He had only willed himself to move when the sky turned black. He had headed to Jihoon’s place at around noon. Soonyoung felt empty, like there was no longer a reason to live anymore. Especially not after what he had done to Jihoon. He had literally ruined his chances of getting back together with the love of his life. Soonyoung fell face first onto his couch. Just when he thought that he could have a normal relationship with Jihoon, things just had to get way more complicated. But a person as amazing as Jihoon needed to be fought for. Soonyoung had overcome too much to give up now. Drifting off into somewhere between consciousness and his subconscious, Soonyoung steeled his resolve as he succumbed to sleep.

He needs to fight for Jihoon.

  ~

Soonyoung peeped into Jihoon’s office as he headed towards into his own office. After that fateful day, Jihoon had been skilfully avoiding him, and Soonyoung himself had been afraid that it could be still too early to approach the other. Like all the times before, Jihoon had caught sight of the taller but swiftly turned his gaze the other way.

Seokmin approached the blonde as he stared dumbly into B team’s office. “Soonyoung, the President wishes to see you.”

Surprised by the sudden request, Soonyoung asked, “Whatever for?”

Seokmin could only shrug in response as he ushered his friend towards the lift. “Guess you’ll find out now.”

Soonyoung took a deep breath as he entered President Kwon’s office. “You asked for me sir?”

President Kwon looked up from his documents, glasses perched on his nose. “Ah yes. Have you heard about the fundraiser gala dinner?”

Soonyoung mutely nodded, unsure where this conversation was heading.

“You will be going in my stead this year.”

“I have no one to go with.”

President Kwon frowned, “Miss Jung Hyeyoung has said that you will be attending as her date.”

Soonyoung felt the anger boil under his skin. Who was she to make his decisions for him? “I am not going with her to that dinner.”

“I understand that you’re upset about what happened with Jihoon, but you are going to that dinner. No arguments.”

“But dad!”

“No arguments.” President Kwon reiterated.

“Argh! Fine!” Soonyoung marched to leave the office, harshly pulling the door open. The blonde almost recoiled in surprise as he came face to face with the man that has been plagueing his mind recently.

“Jihoon…”

The smaller sputtered, alarmed for being caught eavesdropping. “I erm, didn’t mean to hear everything. I mean, I didn’t hear anything at all. I’m just going to go now.”

Jihoon rapidly ran towards the lift, rushing in and jamming his finger against the ‘close’ button. He brought his hand to heart as the doors started closing. He felt bitter. So, Kwon Soonyoung was bringing Jung Hyeyoung as his date to an event. If he was able to move on that easily, why did he even bother showing up at his place, and crying outside his door. Jihoon was questioning if the blonde would even leave, considering how he just sat out there for hours, not that Jihoon was counting. He was also sure that Soonyoung had skipped all his meals that day. The blonde was just that useless. The lift doors were approximately one centimetre from shutting, but a hand shot through the gaps, sending the doors recoiling open in response. Jihoon jumped in surprise at the intruder, as the separating doors revealed a panting blonde keeled over, “Almost thought I would miss you there.”

Jihoon shifted uncomfortably before he pressed himself to the corner of the lift. Soonyoung entered the lift and let the doors close. The taller faced the younger, voice remarkably gentle. “We need to talk. About that day. About us.”

“There is nothing to talk about. I have nothing to say to you.” Jihoon muttered out, pressing one of the higher floors even though he had already pressed a floor before Soonyoung decided to crash. It was his weak attempt at trying to escape from the said male.

Before the lift could arrive at the floor that was newly selected by Jihoon, Soonyoungn reached around the smaller and pushed forcefully at the ‘emergency stop’ button. The lift screeched to a halt, effectively trapping both males in.

“What the are you doing?” Jihoon panicked, randomly pushing all the buttons to the different floors, trying to get the lift moving again.

Soonyoung leaned against the railing of the lift. “It’s been a week Jihoon, please stop avoiding me. We need to talk. I do not like Jung Hyeyoung.”

“Oh yeah? And now you’re taking her to that fancy gala dinner. Right. Only fools would believe you.” Jihoon rolled his eyes as he dialled the emergency number found in the lift. “Hello? Hi, yes the lift stopped right in the middle of nowhere. Hmm… I think we are currently on level sixteen. Okay. Thanks.”

Soonyoung sighed, “I don’t have a say in that dinner. You would have heard the part where I refused.”

“That doesn’t change the fact that your’re still going.” Jihoon mumbled as the lift whirled to life, and stopping on level fifteen.

The lift ‘dinged’ and the doors opened. Jihoon wasted no time and stepped out of the lift. “Let’s stop this Soonyoung.”

Soonyoung slumped dejectedly against the floor as the lift doors closed. He has lost countless battles, but he questions if he can really win the war in the end.