Our rights

Let's play pretend

Jihoon was lying on his bed, mind still half asleep when his phone vibrated noisily against his nightstand. “Ergh...” Jihoon groaned out as he tossed and turned against his sheets. He was pretty sure he did not set an alarm for that morning or afternoon for that matter. Saturdays were for sleeping in after all. Extending an arm out from his safe haven, he grabbed onto his phone and squinted at the caller ID flashing on his screen. An unknown number? Jihoon hesitated, before answering the call.

“Hello?” His voice which was laden with sleep, croaked out.

“Is this Lee Jihoon?” A lady’s voice resounded from the other line. It was sharp and smooth.

“I am. May I know with whom I am speaking with?”

“Jung Hyeyoung. I need to speak to you in private. Soonyoung does not know about this.”

Jihoon lay in surprise. Why was Jung Hyeyoung asking to speak with him? To say he was not afraid would be a lie. “Yeah sure. When and where?”

“I was wondering if I could come to your place in an hour. I figured it would be the most silent and private place compared to a café.”

Jihoon nodded mutely before realising that he was on the phone and that the other party had no inkling as to what he was doing. “Of-of course. I’ll text my address to this number.”

“Thanks.” And with that, the line dropped.

Jihoon hastily hopped out of bed and headed to the shower. It was noon after all. He needed to freshen up in an hour and look presentable enough for the gorgeous woman. She already belittled his relationship with Soonyoung. He was not going to let her belittle his fashion sense as well. She wanting to meet him was definitely out of the blue, but to say he was not interested in what she had to say was a lie. They were bound to converse sooner or later, may as well be now.

~

Almost an hour later, Jihoon was walking around his apartment in black shorts that came up to his knee and a casual white button up that was neatly tucked in. He was busy arranging the sheets of paper that laid around his apartment (no thanks to Soonyoung when he wanted to come over and ‘work’) and started on dishes that had piled up over the week. He was normally more organised than this, but the week had been incredibly hectic with project deadlines and endless meetings. Just then, his doorbell rang. Jihoon in a breath and smoothened out the wrinkles on his shirt. Judgement time.

Jihoon beckoned the woman into his humble abode. She removed her heels and sauntered over to the couch to take a seat. Her hair was pulled back into a messy bun and her nails were perfectly manicured. One look and anyone could tell that this woman took great care of herself. Hyeyoung contrasted Jihoon like night and day, black and white. Jihoon rarely cared for his apearance to be honest. Hyeyoung was dressed in a simple yellow summer dress that stopped short above her knees. The next thing she said was ironic, considering her jovial appearance. “Let’s cut to the chase shall we. I came to talk to you about Soonyoung.”

Jihoon gulped. “Right. I’ll just pour you a cup of tea. Give me a moment.” He hurriedly headed to his kitchen to pour some hot water into one of his mugs, hoping to delay whatever this was as long as possible. His ccourage from when he woke up had long disappeared.

Hyeyoung glanced around the living room, taking in the sights. Her eyes landed on one of the photo frames displayed. The frame held a photo of Soonyoung sneaking a kiss at an alarmed Jihoon. He must have taken it on purpose. Hyeyoung knew too well. Soonyoung used to do that to her too. She grit her teeth. There was the exact same photo in a matching frame back at Soonyoung’s apartment. She was not supposed to feel so bitter. She was far more superior to the smaller male. She was not going to be intimidated.

“That’s a nice photo.” Hyeyoung made a gesture to the picture in question.

Jihoon bit his lower lip and quietly flipped the photo against the table, covering it from their eyes. “It’s nothing. So, what do you wish to discuss?” He sat on the couch after placing two mugs of tea on the table, before the woman and himself.

Hyeyoung picked up her mug and held the warm liquid to her lips. “I don’t know what you have going on with Soonyoung, but it needs to stop.”

“What?”

“Look Jihoon-sshi, Soonie loves me, and he wants to get back together with me. But you are standing in his way. Our way.”

Jihoon clenched his fists. “Soonyoung has not mentioned anything to me. How exactly do you know he wants to get back together with you?”

“We have been meeting. I’ve even been to his place last weekend. Jihoon-sshi, leave him. If not for me, for Soonyoung.”

Jihoon was flabbergasted. Jung Hyeyoung was telling him that she had been meeting Soonyoung. Was that why he did not show up over the weekends? Because of her? He felt the hurt and pain grow in his heart.

Hyeyoung’s voice disrupted his reverie. “I trust you to place Soonyoung’s happiness before you. Leave him before you regret. I don’t want to see you get hurt. I expect you will make the right choice. I’ll see you around Jihoon-sshi.” She left her of tea on the table, and left Jihoon’s apartment wordlessly. That was her only motive for visiting Jihoon anyway. She simply wanted to get her message of warning across. After successfully conveying that warning, there was no other reason for her to stick around. Jihoon was not worthy of her presence anyway.

~

Jihoon continued to sit on his couch, staring at nothing in particular. The gears in his head were working endlessly. Soonyoung was meeting Hyeyoung. He did not even mention anything to him. It appeared that Soonyoung wanted to get back together with his first love. Jihoon shivered at the thought of the blonde leaving him for this woman. He felt lied to, like a toy that Soonyoung was playing. Now that he had lost his novelty, Soonyoung would toss him aside like any old rag doll. But who was he kidding, did he expect Soonyoung to change, did he think that Soonyoung would settle down for him? That was incredibly near sighted. He chuckled sarcastically. Jihoon saw red when he thought about the woman. Who the hell was Jung Hyeyoung? Who the hell was she to walk into his life and push him around? Without realising, it was already five in the afternoon, his mind still racing with thoughts. Jihoon sighed, he was too sober for this .

~

“Hello?” Seungcheol answered when he heard his phone buzz against his couch. It was a lazy Saturday, and the male had decided to waste the day by watching reruns of running man. What he did not expect was the voice on the other line asking him out.

“I’ll see you at six.” He muttered as he kicked aside the blanket that he had dragged to his couch. He pushed himself into the shower and started working on washing the lazy out of his body.

Seungcheol rushed into the bar, panting hard as he caught his breath. “Sorry I’m late Jihoonie. Did not expect the jam. What’s with the sudden call for a night out?” The male questioned as he slipped into the seat beside Jihoon by the bar.

The table was littered with empty shot glasses and Jihoon was just downing his next shot of tequila. Boy was he on his way to drunkenland.

The smaller slurred, albeit coherently, “Cheol, Soonyoung. He- he has been meeting Hyeyoung. I’m ing pissed, but I don’t know why I even am. I mean, we are fake, so he can do all that he like with that woman. Why? Why! Why am I so annoyed?” Jihoon spat all at once, before reaching for Seungcheol’s glass of beer that had just arrived at the table.

“Uh uh uh. No you don’t Jihoonie.”

Jihoon groaned in annoyance, simply waving the bartender for another shot of whatever. Seungcheol sighed. Jihoon could not really be stopped when he was on a rampage. Seungcheol could only listen on as Jihoon continued to pour his heart and worries out.

~

“Woooh!” Jihoon hollered as he entered the club, music blasting in his ears. Jihoon was dressed in tight, black skinny jeans and a white muscle tee under his leather jacket. He was bopping excitedly to the music, with an alert Choi Seungcheol in tow. “C’mon Cheol! Loosen up and have some fun!” the smaller cried out, letting himself be into the crowd on the dance floor.

Seungcheol roughly pulled the smaller back, shouting over the pounding of the bass. “Behave yourself!”

Jihoon skilfully pulled himself out of Seungcheol’s grip and disappeared within the mass of bodies. Seungcheol clicked his tongue. It was going to be a long, long night.

Jihoon was borderline drunk. He was sober enough to roughly know what was going on, but also, his actions no longer had a filter. He could not stop himself (more like would not) and he just wanted to put himself out there, to have fun. The latest remixes were blasting throughout the club, laser lights flittering around. The air was thick with smog and the smell of alcohol. Sweaty bodies rubbed against each other, swinging to the beats of the drums. Jihoon felt someone place their hands on his waist to turn him around. He complied and was met with a charismatic man, shamelessly grinding up on him. Jihoon smiled, turned back around, and swayed his dangerously close to his partner’s junk. He gave his body up to the music.

~

Seokmin was bouncing up and down to the beat, moving up to one of the girls beside him when he caught sight of a much smaller figure squeezed within a group of men that resembled wolves at that moment. He fished out his phone to snap a photo. Furiously typing a message to Soonyoung, he  attached the photo he had just captured.

Dude, are you at the club as well?           

~

Soonyoung had never rushed to a club as fast as he just did. He was chilling at home, getting ready for a snack when he received a message from Seokmin. Within fifteen minutes, he was standing outside the club, flashing his VIP card to the bouncer before charging in to search for Jihoon. Soonyoung barely bothered changing, still wearing a graphic t-shirt, paired with denim shorts. Normally, such attire would be deemed unfit for a club as grand scale as the one he was currently in. But then again, he was Kwon Soonyoung.

Soonyoung pushed through the crowds in search of Jihoon. He carded through the dancefloor, yet still no sign of the smaller. He could not even find Seokmin. The blonde scoured through the corridors where private rooms lined the hallways, shouting out Jihoon’s name. In no time, sweat was pouring down Soonyoung’s nape as he ran around the club, he was panting and gasping for air in the smoke-filled premise. Soonyoung was about to give up, but the slightest thought of what may happen to Jihoon sent him on overdrive. His fatigue was not going to stand in the way of him finding the smaller.

~

Jihoon felt the same guy who first danced with him tug him by his waist. He turned back toward him, gripping the guy’s forearms. Jihoon started feeling dizzy, the flickering lights only working to hurt his head even more. He could feel the guy lead him to the side, into a small gap tucked between the dancefloor and the private rooms. The guy advanced on Jihoon, assaulting his neck with nips and .

“Mhmm no-“ Jihoon whispered out, but he was too weak to stop the larger male. He could feel his legs giving out beneath him as the male forced him into an open mouth kiss. The air was literally out of his lungs, and his vision out momentarily.

But almost as soon as his mouth was ravaged by the stranger, his weight was pulled off of him. Jihoon felt himself fall, anticipating the crash on the ground, however, it never came. It was almost like déjà vu. Jihoon heard a crack of fist against bone, but only saw the male lying on the ground before him, hand clutching his jaw as he groaned in pain. Jihoon on the other hand was held tightly in Soonyoung’s arms. The smaller was unfortunately sober enough to be aware of that. Soonyoung was honestly the last person he wanted to see right now. Seriously, where was Seungcheol when he needed him?

The moment of weakness was replaced by a rush of adrenaline and anger when Jihoon set his eyes on Soonyoung. The smaller tried pushing against the blonde, adamant on getting away. The firm grip on his body proved his actions to be futile. Soonyoung pushed against the party-goers, trying to drag an unwilling Jihoon out of the club. The adrenaline and fear from his earlier encounter caused Jihoon’s foggy mind to clear up slightly. “Stop it Soonyoung! Let go!”

Soonyoung remained steadfast in his actions, continuing his trek out of the club. That was until he was forced to a sudden halt. Seungcheol stood before the two males, eyes were furious. “I’ve got him. Hand him over Soonyoung.”

Upon hearing his bestfriend’s voice, Jihoon reached out towards him, trying to pry Soonyoung’s warm hands off him. “Cheol! Here! Seungcheol!!” Jihoon cried out, almost pleadingly.

Soonyoung bit his lower lip and begrudgingly released Jihoon from his grip, passing the smaller gingerly into Seungcheol’s arm, as he stood by the other side of Jihoon. He could not understand why Jihoon sounded so mad at him. It was rather out of character for Jihoon to get completely wasted at the club for no rhyme or reason as well. The blonde almost went berserk when he could not find Jihoon just moments ago. He did not expect for Jihoon to act in such a manner. The stranger who was literally ually abusing his boyfriend made the situation worst. To say Soonyoung was ready to kill was kind of an understatement.

The two males were guiding Jihoon out of the club. The cool air that hit them was like a splash of life to their (or Jihoon’s) alcohol laden mind. Feeling himself regain his bearings considerably, he mumbled, “Let go of me Soonyoung,” before forcefully retracting his arm from Soonyoung's grip, heading in the opposite direction with Seungcheol in his tow.

Soonyoung was utterly lost as to why Jihoon decided to give him the cold shoulder. First he finds out that Jihoon was wasted in a club, then he couldn’t find the said male in said club, next when he finally spots the brunette, he finds him pinned to the wall, a stranger’s tongue roughly shoved down his throat. He was almost maxing out his tolerance limit.

"Jihoon! Stop! Why are you so mad! What did I do wrong! Tell me babe. Just talk to me!” Soonyoung was desperate for an answer for the sudden change in Jihoon’s behaviour.

"Nothing Soonyoung. It's not you."

Seungcheol tugged Jihoon towards his car, hands firm on his wrist. 

"Stop! What's with this 'it's not you' bull!" Soonyoung screamed out as he reached for Jihoon's free wrist and pulled him back, holding him in place. 

Seungcheol let out a low growl and at lightning speed, placed himself between Soonyoung and Jihoon. "Don't you ing touch him Kwon Soonyoung."

Soonyoung pushed Seungcheol back, "Jihoon is my boyfriend. What are you?!"

"Jihoon is my best friend, and this," he gestures to Jihoon and himself, "this relationship of ours is real."

Soonyoung bites his tongue. How could he forget. Jihoon is not his boyfriend. Never was. Seungcheol’s statement hit him like a ton of bricks. He tried to deny reality when Seokmin reminded him about their fake relationship. He tried to run away from the truth. But standing here now, with Seungcheol looming dangerously close to Jihoon, he realised that he did not have the smaller entirely to himself. He was not the only person that mattered in his life. Here was a man standing before him that would do anything for the younger male. Soonyoung felt extremely small and helpless. He had no rights to act the way he was acting.

Jihoon pulled Seungcheol back, taking a tentative step towards Soonyoung. "Soonyoung, I-I am mad. You want to know why? It's because I'm pissed at myself for getting mad! I'm mad but I have no rights to be! There is no 'we'! Never was! I'm not supposed to be mad! Yet I am, and I hate this." A lone tear falls from Jihoon's eye as he stared right at Soonyoung's orbs, glassy from unshed tears. 

Soonyoung reaches out to Jihoon, wanting to wipe the tear away. Jihoon should never ever have such a pained expression. Especially not because of him. He almost touches him. 

"Enough Jihoon. Let's go." And Seungcheol pulls Jihoon away, pulling him right through Soonyoung's fingertips for the second time. But Soonyoung can't fight, he has no rights to. There was never a 'we'. 

 

A/N: I’m trying my best to update when I still feel that I have some time. Plus it’s easier to write when the story is still fresh in my head. HAHA. FYI, the last statement where Seungcheol pulled Jihoon from Soonyoung’s fingertips for the second time was actually a reference back to chapter 3. I wanted to come off as witty. Hahaha an utter failure really.

I tried to work and improve based on some of the comments, so I would like to thank each and every one for your constructive feedback.