009 (Part 3 : Pieces)

No Shortcut
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Beijing temperature drops under negative now that it's already early December. The cafe is full in the morning because of working people who desires warm drinks. During lunch, the peak hour is not as busy as normal days. It is usually like this at the end of the years because people rather go to restaurants where they don't have to walk far from car and face the cold.

 

Even the outdoor food vendors will closed down until the temperature is bearable again. Fei are wiping the tables when Bambam came in through the entrance that afternoon and she almost squeals in delight. She manage to stop herself after seeing Youngjae greeting Bambam. Her younger brother had gotten close to all the staffs because of his frequent visits and he is Yugyeom's friend.

 

"You leaving already?" Bambam ask after seeing Youngjae removing his apron. Youngjae nods. "My shift ends here today, come again tomorrow morning! I'll treat you to something warm." Youngjae smiles at the younger as he fold his apron and keep it in the barista station drawer. Yugyeom and Jinyoung enters the scene from the back door. "Did you three came together?" Youngjae ask. The three collegemates nods.

 

Bambam proceed to find a seat after bidding goodbye to Youngjae. The other two reports in to Jackson. Fei smiles to Bambam discreetly preparing to take his order. "Hellooo.." She whispers. Bambam giggles and look around before putting an envelope on the table. Fei quickly slip in inside her apron pocket.

 

"What is this?" She whispers while looking around too. Yen is walking towards them so Fei quickly pretend to write an order. "Green tea latte and spicy carbonara.. Any more addition?" She glance at Yen. Yen waves at Bambam. "Hello Bambam!! Did you come with Yugyeom again today?" She cheerily ask. Bambam nods cutely. "I don't like the dorm's cafe food.." He pouts.

 

Yen ruffles his hair. "Okay young man I'll cook your food extra special for you." She smiles and walk away after peeking at Fei's tablet to see what Bambam ordered. Fei pretend to fix the chairs at the table next to him. "Well young man, aren't you loved?" She tease and point to the envelope in her pocket again. Bambam snickers and reply. "Have you perhaps forgotten about tomorrow?"

 

Fei is thinking when another table call her for bills. She waves at Bambam discreetly before leaving him there. Bambam shake his head as he rest his chin on his palm, propping his elbow on the table. 'I bet Nat had forgotten about her birthday..' He concludes. Mark walks out from the kitchen and caught Bambam in action.

 

He furrows his brow. Wondering what kind of look is the young man giving Fei? He is sure it is not love or admiration. It is more to worried and almost a scolding one. 'Does he know her?' He lean his back on the wall. Yugyeom walks to the counter to key in the accumulated orders of fast food. "Hello Mark.." He greets. "Hey..he's here with you?" Mark eyes Bambam.

 

Yugyeom turn to look at Mark and nods. "Was showing him where is the post office, we will go back together using Jinyoung's car later since it's cold." He then stretch his upper body before resting his palm on the counter. "He said he want to deliver a birthday present for her sister's birthday tomorrow after going to the book store." Mark nods. "Where is his sister?" Yugyeom tap his index finger on his chin then giggles. "I didn't ask heeeheeee maybe in Thailand?"

 

'Thailand..'

 

Mark smile to him and heads to the locker room. He plug in his earphone but stopped his track at the door when he saw Fei inside. She is giggling while reading a big card. Mark squints his eyes to get a clearer vision.

 

'Birthday cake picture..' However, most of the card parts are covered by her arm and Mark almost hissed out loud  because he can't see it. When Fei move from her position to sit down, the lower part of the card is visible and all that Mark can make out of it is the signature and 'Bambam'.

 

Fei was putting the big card back in the envelope when Mark walk 5 step backward then forward, pretending that he just got there.

 

"Hey Mark, is it slow outside?" Fei ask him as she lands her bottom on the bench again, already locking her locker. Mark nods and land on the couch opposite of her. His earplug is on but there’s no music playing. His mind is full of what he saw just now. ‘Why she have something from Bambam?’

 

He unplug his earphone and tilt his head looking at Fei. ‘What card have a birthday cake picture?’ He mentally smack his head. ‘Obviously, birthday cards Mark Tuan..’

The voices in his head is making him busy. His face is all stoic but his mind is running a deep thought.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter