014 (Christmas Special 1)

No Shortcut
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“And why you can’t be the one who invites her?” Mark’s temple is all scrunched. His back no longer resting on the couch while his grip on his phone become tighter. A nervous humming can be heard from the other end.

“Urmm.. because..” Yen couldn’t find the right word to tell him. Mark impatiently roll his eyes even though he knows Yen can’t see it. A man grumble made him lift his brow and Jackson’s voice greet him.

“Hey man!” Mark snorts but still replies. “Are you helping Yen with the party?” The day of Yen’s party is tonight and Mark knows Jackson would be helping Yen that morning.

“Yeaps and none of us can pick you up because it’s quite busy around here..” Jackson fake a sad voice.

 Mark grimace. Lazily, he stretch his upper body and yawns. Already sleepy because it’s almost evening. “Then I’ll just not join you guys..” He rest his back on the couch and stare at the TV.

“Aw c’mon don’t be a party pooper.. We want you and Fei here too so I guess you can ask her to drive both of you here. Please??” Jackson plead him.

Mark sighs. “Only the staffs and people we know will be there right?” He

“Yeah. Oh, and we invited Bambam too if you don’t mind.. He’s Yugyeom’s friend after all..”

Mark immediately thought of Fei. ‘Maybe it would be a good thing to let Nattasha see her brother..’ He considers. He knows how their relationship is a secret and partially guessed they don’t have the chance to see each other after she left the café.

“Mark?” Jackson calls out to him after a long silence.

“I.. I’ll ask her..”

 

---

 

Nat palms meet each other as she is done presenting her findings to Jaebum and Min. She slowly walk towards her seat in the mini meeting room. Jaebum drum his index finger on the table as his eyes are still glued to the board. Min is the first one to break the silence.

“This is brilliant..” She chirps as she stare at Nat in awe. Nat mumbles a thank you as she smiles to her. She is somehow happy that she can trust another person for this case next to Jaebum. It doesn’t feel that lonely anymore.

“Have issued the search warrant to the court?” Jaebum turns to her. Nat shakes her head. “I plan to ask your opinion on this first..” She clasp her fingers together. “Should I proceed with this?” Nat eyes the two other people in the room.

“With the evidence and charges you have gathered, the search warrant will surely be granted.” Min supports her. However, Jaebum seems to look quite troubled with it. He eye Nat warily. “This is a good idea Fei but I have to tell you that once we start unravelling them like this, there’s no turning back.. You do realize these type of underground organization have big influences over the police system itself, right?”

Nat smiles at him. “I do, Jaebum. Even so, I have faith in justice and this is what detectives are for. We unravel crimes and make them pay for it using the law.” A determined look fills her face. She do remember how Yang escaped the judgement for all his crimes and that pissed her off. Her will to end his crimes and find out about the bigger people above him flames even bigger.

“I agree. We have to make them pay for everything they have done to innocent people who lost their lives because of them and deserves to live their life more than them in this world..” Min adds as she softly set her gaze on Jaebum. Nat caught Jaebum softly smiling at her back and awkwardly organize her stuffs.

‘Is there something I don’t know about them?’ She steal glances at the two before standing up.

“Are you leaving for today?” Jaebum ask as he stands up too. Later followed by Min. Nat nods. “We will proceed with the search after Min receives the warrant grants from the court since this case is under your division now..” Nat smiles at Min.

“I’ll inform you two once it’s settled..” She replies as the three of them walks out together from the meeting room. Min already left both of them to return to her floor when a male officer approach them.

“Sir.” He salutes. Jaebum and Fei returns the salute. “What’s the matter?”

“Two of our first-division detectives have neglected their duties for two days. We tried contacting their families but there’s no news about them. Their family said they haven’t heard from them for two days..” He reports.

Fei glance at Jaebum. “Have any police report been issued?” Jaebum ask.

“No Sir..”

“Start an in-depth investigation about their where about and track their mobile phone last location and contact history.. Hand me their profile in my room, now.” He orders.

“Yes, Sir!”

 

---

 

Nat get off her car and her phone rings. She slide the green button.

“Yes Mark?” She walk slowly towards the elevator and stops beside it.

“Where are you? Are you gonna be late?” His raspy voice can be heard from the other end. Nat check her watch and chuckles.

“Are you already hungry? It’s only 6 in the evening..” She jokes. She knows Mark is rolling his eyes by the grunt his making.

“I’m already in the area.. I’ll come to you shortly..” She said before Mark manage to reply and ended the call before entering the elevator.

 

.

Mark stare at his phone at rage. “Did she just hang up on me?” He hastily walk back inside his unit from the balcony. Reaching the couch, he plops down and sighs. His mind wanders to Nat. ‘How do I ask her to go with me?’ He bit his lips.

Seconds later, his doorbell r

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter