001 (Part 1 : Odd)

No Shortcut
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Beijing, November 2014.

The air feels breezy that morning. Mark rub his palm together as he slowly walk towards the shopping street of Wangfujing. November is the start of chilly temperature for Beijing and he can’t help but wear thick clothings. Underneath his sweater is his usual white button up and black fitted slack. It is not yet snowing so he settled for leather shoes rather than boots.

Mark was about to cross the street from the parking ground when someone wrap his long arm around his shoulder. The man playfully shove his bestfriend away as they chatter through their walk.

It is another normal weekend for Mark and Jackson as they prepare for business. The town is still empty with only other businesses preparing just like them. Unlocking the backdoor, the two males lightly jog to the kitchen and begin cleaning up. By the time they are done cleaning up the whole cafe and preparing the tables and chairs, Jackson wipes the sweat trickling down his forehead using the end of his short sleeve and flips the door sign to "OPEN".

Another girl arrives with two other staffs trailing behind her. They quickly enters the kitchen as Yen handed them the key to the material’s cabinet. Yen opens the kitchen window that would give the kitchen staffs access to hand the food to the waitress and waitresses. It is located right behind the cashier counter.

"Yen, what time will the part ­timer applicant come in for interview?" Mark turn on the aircond as he goes around the counter to lower the cake display fridge temperature. The cafe's Assistant Chef tightens her apron, having walk in just minutes ago before Mark called her out.

"In the e-­mail, supposedly around 3 after the lunch hour. Asked her to come 15 minutes earlier as you told me." She briefly talk to the barista at the drink station before lightly showing a chaste smile to Jackson before skipping to the kitchen through the swing door. Jackson manage to wink back while standing at the entrance door, welcoming their first customer.

That action didn’t went pass Mark thus causing him to roll his eyes. "Jack, what did I say about flirting with my sister openly around me?" Mark keep his phone in the cashier counter drawer. His warning made Jackson snickers while he is serving the customers. He look around and mentally counted the staffs that had clocked in.

"Where's Yugyeom? Is he running late?" Jackson meant to ask Mark as he jot down the customer's order. However, Mark is already gone to his Chef position. Jackson look around and sees Jinyoung already at his station.

"Where's your junior?" Jackson ask the younger guy because they usually come to work together. They live at the same dorm but Yugyeom is his junior in college. Jinyoung slightly flinch at the Manager's voice as he almost spilled the cappuccino he is brewing.

"Urmmm, he said he told Mark about coming in late today. He's expecting a new roommate. I thought you knew?"

Jackson keys in the set of drinks order to Jinyoung’s barista station tablet. "Well, well, the big boss never bother to tell me anything. I thought you knew?? ..tchh.."

 

~

 

A week before

(Bangkok, Thailand)

In the buzzing office, countless cases and investigation are being carried out. The detectives of Bangkok MPD First-Division office is never out of work as the heavy crime rate in Bangkok metropolitan gives them no break. All of the detectives are on their desk right now except for Nattasha Nauljam Bhuwakul.

"You're the only one I can rely on for this task Nattasha. Not everyone here can simply go to China and do the undercover investigation mission. You're the only one with fluent Chinese and could uphold this fake identity." Chief Brem slides the folder on his table to Nattasha’s view.

Nattasha sighs as she scans the fake identity folder. Lim Fei. Her boss is asking her to do an undercover in China and work with Beijing MPD regarding a human­traficking case that involves the two country. She has been one of the detective in charge out of 5 of them in first-division.

All of sudden, she is not sure whether graduating from the Police Academy with top achievement is a blessing or a mistake. She enters at the age 18 because she skipped a grade during highschool. Due to her achievements, on her first year of her career as a detective she got promoted to the first-division making her the youngest detective there at the age of 22.

On her second year and now her third, she had been sent to do various undercover missions in the country. Now to her luck, the ring leader on the case of human-trafficking she is working on expands his/her business to China of all places. Her mother's birthplace. She bit her lip as she furrows her brow before looking back at her Chief behind the rectangular wooden table.

"If you have forgotten Chief, my younger brother is still studying and just started college. I can't simply leave him here in Thailand while I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter