EPISODE 1 Part 3

Descendants of the Sun Season 2

[EPISODE 1 PART 3]

 

"Yes, Sir." Kang Mo Yeon heard Yoo Si Jin's voice. "Sergeant Major Seo is to meet the reinforcements in Korea town. I will the medical team." he was silent to a moment. "Yes, Sir. Dan-gyeol."

 

Kang Mo Yeon was still feeling drowsy but she saw that Yoo Si Jin was already up, and starting to get dressed. He seemed to notice her and smiled at her.

 

"Wake up, sleepyhead, it's time to go." He said as he was buttoning his uniform pants.

 

Mo Yeon smiled, it was a beautiful scene to see so early in the morning, it must only be around 4 in the morning, the sun wasn't even up, yet Yoo Si Jin's half- body was enough to gather her senses.

 

She pouted a little at Si Jin. "Don't I even get a 'good morning'?"

 

Si Jin smiled and walked towards Kang Mo Yeon who was now sitting up on the bed, the covers still wrapped around her body.

 

"Good morning" he said and he kissed her at the top of her head. "Get dressed and inform your team. We've received our orders." he told her as he reached for his shirt first, and then his uniform and headed for the bathroom to brush his teeth.  "We leave in half an hour."

 

"Yes, Sir" she told him, a playful laugh coming from her.

 

It was weird. They were about to leave to go on a mission to help the people who needed medical attention because of a natural disaster, and here she was flirting with her boyfriend. She knows that she should be more sensitive at a serious time like this, but she couldn't help it. It was not often that she can spend this much time with Yoo Si Jin, so she was going to make the most out of this experience.

 

Kang Mo Yeon reached for her cell phone which was on the bedside table and called Nurse Choi. "Hello, Min Ji?"

 

"Ne. Kang-sem (Dr. Kang)" Nurse Choi answered, followed by a quiet yawn.

 

"We just received our orders. Get everyone ready, we need to leave in 30 minutes. Bring everything that you need, we might not return for a day or two."

 

"Ne. I will tell the others."

 

"Thanks." Then she hung up, and got up from the bed, stretching a little, before grabbing her small pouch of showering essentials and heading for the bathroom. Like an old synchronized couple, Kang Mo Yeon entered as Yoo Si Jin exited.

 

She washed up quickly, and got dressed.

 

"I'm going ahead." Yoo Si Jin called from the other side of the door.

 

"Oh? Wait, let's go together." She answered, hurrying

 

"No, you still have time left; I just need to load the things in the car." Si Jin replied. "I already packed your things; just bring the stuff that I forgot okay? I'll meet you in the lobby"

 

"Okay."

 

*****

 

Everyone was already at the lobby when Kang Mo Yeon appeared. Their team consisted of only five people, Kang Mo Yeon, Dr. Song, Nurse Choi and Ae Jae, and Chi Hun.  "Oh, is everybody here?" she asked Dr. Song

"Yes, we just arrived. Yoo Si Jin told us to wait a bit; apparently a military vehicle will be used for transportation." Dr. Song said "I think some of the medical equipment is in there too" he added
 

"Ah, I see." Kang Mo Yeon replied. "Here he comes now" she said, pertaining to Yoo Si Jin walking towards them

 

"Everyone can board the vehicle now," Yoo Si Jin told them.  "We're heading to Korea town in the Metro area; it's just a few miles from here."

 

Everyone followed Si Jin outside, and he led them to a big military vehicle which the team boarded. Even Kang Mo Yeon had begun to board the vehicle when Yoo Si Jin stopped her.

 

"You" he said pointing to her. "You're travelling with me." and he motioned for her to come down.

 

"Wae? I'm already here." she whined, too lazy to get up.

 

With his hands on his hips Yoo Si Jin replied, looking a bit annoyed. "Yah, if you don't ride with me, then who is to stop me from falling asleep on the ride over?" He pointed upwards. "Look, the sun isn't even up yet, and I'm tired" he added faking a yawn.

 

"Aish these two" it was Dr. Song who spoke up, "Just get down and let's go, uh? Koreans need our help, let's move" he continued.

 

Mo Yeon got down and stalked over to Yoo Si Jin's car. Yoo Si Jin won this round.

 

 

*****

 

"Salute your Major" lieutenant Yoon ordered when Yoo Si Jin arrived.

 

"Dan-gyeol!" they all said in unison

 

"At ease" said Yoo Si Jin

 

"Sergeant Major Seo Dae Yeong, Situation report." Seo Dae Yeong began "No deaths have been listed yet, at least 43 are injured, and 4 are in critical condition.  Transports of the patients to the hospital are still ongoing. End of report."

 

Yoo Si Jin nodded. "Good. Make sure everyone stays indoors as much as possible. Also send some people downtown; I've been informed there were some patients there too."

 

"Yes, Sir."

 

*****

 

Several ambulances were onsite at the Metro area of Vancouver where most of the Korean citizens resided. It was not as bad as Kang Mo Yeon's team expected, but it didn't look too good either. Everyone was wearing protective face masks to shield them from the ash fall which could cause several complications, and the heat coming from the ground was barely tolerable for a while.

 

After introducing themselves to the local medical unit in charge of giving first aid to the patients, they already went to work. Examining the newly arrived patients and comforting the ones waiting to be wheeled into the hospital.

 

Most patients suffered 1st degree up to 3rd degree skin burns, also some patients in critical condition suffered burns in their lungs and breathings passages because of their exposure to steam and dust clouds, these patients needed immediate surgical attention.

 

Another stretcher was being carried towards the building, "Are you alright?" Kang Mo Yeon asked both soldier and the patient who just came in as they gently move him to a bed, Chi Hun and Nurse Choi rushing towards them.

 

"I'm fine" answered the soldier, he looked no older than 20 and yet he was already out in the field. Mo Yeon felt proud of him for his bravery but also fear and worry. She could only imagine how this young soldier's parents must feel. What would she have felt if this kid was her son? She immediately shook her head to dismiss the idea. At the moment, she could barely handle Yoo Si Jin disappearing on her because of missions; she could not stress herself out by thinking about her future children also being in the front lines.

 

"This is the patient; he has suspected fracture in his left leg."

 

"Yes, I'll take over now, thank you." she told him. He simply nodded, adjusted his face mask and went out again.

 

"Chi Hun," she regarded Chi Hun beside her, "Can you take this patient? Suspected fracture on his left leg, make sure to put a cast on him after he gets an x-ray at the hospital."

 

"Ne, Kang-sem" And Chi Hun and Min Ji wheeled the patient towards the exit where the ambulance was waiting for the next patients to be brought to the hospital.

 

Kang Mo Yeon took out her phone and dialled Yoo Si Jin, "Where are you?"  She asked when he answered.

 

"Downtown, we're giving first aid to the patients here," he answered. "Are you okay? Is anything the matter?"

 

"No I'm fine. Just..." she didn't know how to continue, she just wanted to make sure SI Jin was alright, the idea of her having a son earlier was confusing her mind and distracting her from her work. "Be careful, stay inside, and turn off the A/C on your car; it's dangerous."

 

"Yes, I understand." Si Jin answered. He was convinced that there was something wrong with Mo Yeon but he decided that this was not the best time for it, he would make sure to ask her about it later. "Is there anything else?"

 

"Ani. Just checking on you is all." she said. "I have to go; we're heading to the hospital once we are done here."

"Okay, be careful." and they both hung up the phone.

 

Kang Mo Yeon headed to the wash room to splash some water on her face. "Hang in there Kang Mo Yeon" she told herself and headed back out to attend to the other patients.

 

*****

 

Seo Dae Yeong was carrying an injured woman towards the medical tent they set up to give her first aid, when the ground began shaking again. He held on to the woman, who was now shaking as well as crying, probably because of the trauma, and his other hand holding onto some rocks from the destroyed buildings around them.

 

He started walking again, and he was close to the tent when he saw Myeong Joo, giving treatment to a patient with a broken arm. He smiled, and thought to himself, "That's my girl."

 

"Lieutenant Yoon, here is another patient" he told her when he was only a few steps away from her. She looked up and smiled, as she helped him carry the patient towards another bed.

 

"I'm going to give you some painkillers," she gently told the woman, as she began to inject her with the painkillers.

 

"I'm heading back out."  Seo Dae Yeong said, but Myeong Joo stopped him.

 

"Wait." she said as she was disposing the syringe she just used. "Sit down over there", and she nodded towards an empty chair. "No, buts. Sit." She told him before he could even form an argument.

 

She got some medical supplies and did first aid on the woman patient. Using a splint to brace her leg, she wrapped the leg as best as she could before she could be taken to the hospital for an x-ray. She then walked over to Seo Dae Yeong holding some gauzes and some tape.

 

"You're a patient too" she told him, and she began cleaning something on the left side of his forehead.

 

"Really? I didn't even notice" was Seo Dae Yeong's reply. Reflexively his hand went towards his wound, but Myeong Joo swatted his hand away, none too gently.

 

"Yah, you'll get it infected!" she scolded him, and proceeded to cut up the gauze and place it on his wound.
 

"There it's done" she said, smiling proudly at her work.

 

"Thank you," and they smiled at each other.

 

*****

 

"Get out of the way!"

 

Both were shocked with the commotion, a patient on a stretcher was being carried towards the medical tent, and Myeong Joo instinctively rushed toward the patient and examined him as fast as she could to give a diagnosis.

 

Her face was grim when she finally spoke, "It's bad. We need to operate on him as soon as possible. He must have been exposed to steam; I suspect his lungs have been burned." Next, she ordered for the patient to be on the next ambulance to the nearest hospital, to which her subordinates complied.

 

"We need to reserve an operating room fast," she said, "Can someone call anyone from the hospital?" she asked looking at Seo Dae Yeong.

 

"I got it." it was Yoo Si Jin who answered, he must have been part of the rescue of that patient, his face was covered with  soot and underneath it looks like the skin on his face is a bit burnt too,

 

Yoo Si Jin told one of the soldiers to inform the medical team on the ambulance to reserve an operating room. He then took out his phone and called Kang Mo Yeon. "Are you at the hospital?"

 

"Yes, we just arrived."

 

"Good, get an operating room ready, a patient in critical condition will arrive, and he needs an operation immediately." he explained the situation to her, and she understood immediately. Without hanging up the phone Si Jin heard Mo Yeon speaking to a person at the hospital explaining the situation, and proceeded to prepare the operating room, she must have thought she had hung up the phone.

 

"Thanks Kang-sem" and he hung up

 

"You get on that ambulance too." Myeong Joo told him. "I suspect minor to 1st degree burns on your face." she explained further as she walked towards him to clean some of the ash from his face.

 

"Seriously Sunbae; how could you get hurt, huh? You have to be careful. Follow me." Si Jin just smiled and followed Myeong Joo towards the ambulance

 

*****

 

The ambulance arrived at the hospital within 10 minutes, and the place was already in chaos. You can hear screams of pain, and crying from children in all directions.

 

Kang Mo Yeon followed the hospital's emergency team to assist them and she was shocked to see Yoo Si Jin with the critical patient.

 

"What are you doing here?" she asked wearing her worry clearly on her beautiful face.

 

"Burns" he said pointing to his face, and his hands. "Myeong Joo sent me"

 

She gave him an annoyed yet worried look, before following the entire emergency team and they began wheeling the patient towards the operating room.

 

The team continued to wheel the patient inside the operating room, but Kang Mo Yeon stayed outside. "Why aren't you going in?" Si Jin asked. She did not know that he followed them up to there. She was oblivious to her surrounding whenever she was focused on her job.

 

"I'm not authorized to operate on any of the patients, I'm not a doctor here." she explained. "Come on; let's have a look at you."

 

But before they could get far, a nurse came running from the operating room towards the nurses' station, asking to page for an available thoracic surgeon.

 

"What are we going to do?" the nurse said, obviously nervous and panicked about the situation. "There are no surgeons available!"

 

Si Jin and Mo Yeon looked at each other.

 

"Excuse me," it was Si Jin who spoke.

 

"Yes?" the nurse replied.

 

"My girlfriend is a surgeon from Haesung Hospital, she can save the patient."

 

"Is that so?" the nurse asked and Kang Mo Yeon nodded in response, and added, “I am Dr. Kang, a thoracic surgeon from Korea, I can save the patient if you can authorize me to operate on him."

 

"Ah yes, I will inform our head surgeon."

 

"You must hurry" Kang Mo Yeon told the nurse and she began to furiously dial the head surgeon's number on her cell phone.

 

"Dr. Park, there is a volunteer surgeon here from Korea; she says she can operate on the patient."

 

"Yes Dr. Yes, I'm sorry. Yes." the nurse said apologising to the doctor and she hung up

 

Suddenly another nurse came in rushing. "Nurse Jeon, the President heard of the lack of surgeons, he said to wait until Dr. Park is finished with his patient, and that he will perform the surgery."

 

"But Dr Park agreed for Dr. Kang to perform the surgery! What should we do?"

 

"If we don't perform the operation now, the patient will die! Please decide now." Kang Mo Yeon told both the nurses.

 

"I am Soryeong Yoo Si Jin. Major of the ROK Special Forces and I can vouch for Dr. Kang. Let her save the patient. I will take full responsibility for whatever happens."

 

Both nurses looked at each other. "We must hurry" they said, "the operating room is this way"

 

Kang Mo Yeon left with the nurse and left Yoo Si Jin to operate on the said patient, but before she turned the corner she yelled, "Please take a look at that soldier!" she was talking to the nurse at the station,

 

"He is also a patient" and dashed off towards the operating room.

*****

 

A/N: Hello everyone! How are you? Are you enjoying the story so far?

Here are some points that I would like to clear up J

Koreatown is a legit place in Vancouver. Due to the large population of Korean citizens taking residence in Metro Vancouver, they were enough to merit the name of Korea town. They even have their own community, churches, etc.

Also, a large number of Korean students are studying English in Downtown Vancouver. :)

If you have any questions regarding the story or some parts of it are unclear to you or you think some information is wrong, feel free to leave a comment and we can talk about how to fix it. Thank you! :)

 

[edit]

I changed Yoo Si Jin's rank title from Squadron Leader to Major (Soryeong). In the drama they used Soryeong, which is equivalent to Major, or Liteutenant Commander while the title Squadron Leader is reserved for the Air Forces. Sorry for this mistake. I will use Soryeong or Major from now on. :)