Seventh Page

Wishes and Dreams

 

The of this story happened when we were in Senior High School. It all started at the middle of January, where the students still have hungover from their Christmas break.

 

I had already been admiring you for three years. There should be a rule stating that if a person develops a crush over someone for more than a year, they would be given a plaque of appreciation that says 'Most Loyal and Foolest of Them All'. I'm sure many people would get that award. At least, our hardwork won't be a waste.

 

Add with it my three years of thinking about you. Three years of trying to catch your eye. And three years of me being blinded of the truth.

 

After 1095 years of this craziness, someone dared to be a part of our story. He was a transferee during Grade 10 but it took me two years to notice him.

 

One day, you're busy reading a book when someone bumps into you. You're about to get mad because you have to find the page you were already on again, but the anger inside you will fade when you'll see the person who bumped you. You'll tell yourself, 'Hey, it's the math geek, right?' Then, while looking at his brown eyes, you'll wonder why you never looked at him well. You'll begin to decide his long yet small face, sharp jawline, small pimple marks, sharp pointed nose, and lady-like eyelashes makes a good combination. He's a bit skinny but he's cute.

 

I was focusing too much on you that's why I didn't bother about the people around me. I didn't notice them improve. Only at that time was I reminded you're not the only one changing, proof to that statement was that person in the middle of January, whose name is Kim Myungsoo.

 

At the same moment, which I'll assume as great timing, we became groupmates for History. Our group was assigned to present a roleplay about the lives of Europeans during the Crusades. As usual, I was still the director, but since the mighty Jungkook was not a part of our group, Myungsoo has to shoulder the role of the main character.

 

I thought back then we are the most compatible person in the world because of the many similarities we shared. But that thought of mine faded when Myungsoo entered my life and made me question everything.

 

While I was directing our roleplay, I learned a lot about him. He's good at acting, not like you who's fond of showing his back to the audience even though it's against the rules. He knows how to play chess, even though you're better than him.

 

Both of you are good dancers. Both of you has a younger sister. Both of you don't know how to play any instrument, although I heard lately Myungsoo has bought a guitar. Both of you are single when we met.   

 

Myungsoo's louder and more talkative. Taller. Better at math and memorization. I'll admit you're more good-looking than him, but many girls still fall for him. It might be because he's more gentleman than you. He has an aura of warmth not found in you. I'm also closer to him than to you.

 

Myungsoo doesn't know how to seenzone anyone. He always tells you goodbye whenever he needs to.

 

I can still put plenty of descriptions and evaluations about the topic of Myungsoo vs. Jungkook, yet I'll content myself of the qualities listed above, for this is not what the story is about. The story is not about who has better personality but who I should have loved.

 

You're the type of person who'll make girls drop their underwear with a small glimpse of thy handsome face. Myungsoo, on the other hand, is the type where you still need to pause in to look at him well for you to confirm he is indeed an apple of the eye.

 

But Jungkook, can you explain to me why he was able to take away your place?

 

Maybe I have grown tired of looking at you so this little of mine decided to find another one. Or maybe I had developed a crush on him a long time ago but decided to deny it out of fear that when I do, the three years I spent with you will be put to waste.

 

Did you find out you're not the center of my world anymore? Is there a device installed in the brains of pretty boys like you that beeps when you lose a fangirl?

 

I'd like to ask for one. But if I do, the battery might wear off already, it yet hasn't sounded for once. You know, I don't have any fanboys.

 

Just like for you, I also didn't know the exact day of me having feelings for Myungsoo, although I have a theory.

 

We were in a break from practice in our roleplay when Myungsoo secretly approached me. He told me in a solemn voice that he needs to talk to me.

 

"Suji, can I ask for a favor?"

 

It was the first time I had the chance to look at him closely. His cheeks turned pinkish because of his paleness. Due to the sudden nearness, I wasn't able to find my voice so I nodded my head instead.

 

"Can you replace my leading lady? I'm having trouble with Dahyun."

 

My forehead creased. You could tell I didn't expect his favor.

 

"Why? Have you developed feelings for her already? Ah, you need to switch because you're already distracted by her presence, don't you?"

 

He looked around him first to make sure no one is close enough to hear the two of us before speaking. "Don't tell anyone else, but Minseo likes Dahyun. He might get jealous of me."

 

See, I told you earlier. Minseo knows about us, but we know nothing about him.

 

"Then who shall I replace her with?"

 

Like a lightning bolt waiting to strike, he answered defiantly. "You."

 

The crease on my forehead dug deeper.

 

"Come on, Lee Suji. You are meant to be for this role. Everybody knows we're match made in heaven."

 

If you had only heard the paced beating of my heart that time, you'll have trouble breathing.