Tenth Page

Wishes and Dreams

"I told you! It's 255!". Myungsoo announced.

 


I closed my eyes and tried to calm the anger slowly building up inside me.

 

"No, it's negative 255." I countered. "The negative sign is outside the parenthesis so the answer is negative."

 

 

We have both gone tired from quarreling as to who is right- positive for Myungsoo and negative for me. For five minutes, we were bantering about the equation -(15)^2. We stared at each other, not one wanting to back out from our battle.

 

 

"Let's bet." He confidentally stated, so sure of himself. "Whoever loses will owe a favor from the winner."

 

 

I agreed right away because of what they refer to as dignity. I don't want to lose, and I knew my answer was correct.

 

 

The air was tensed while we listened to the explanation of our teacher. Even though it didn't reach one minute, if felt as though it was over an hour for us. A favor is at stake. Above all things, owing a person a favor is the scariest. You will never know what he might ask of you. One might command you to steal something or kill yourself, and you have nothing to do but do what Simon says, for you owe him one.

 



"See, I told you! The answer is negative for the negative sign is outside! The answer would only be positive if the negative sign is inside the parenthesis." I was grinning widely while saying those words and Myungsoo was silently sulking in his seat.

 

 

That fight about a certain equation was the start of our hundred and one quarrels. We're always arguing about equations in math. We raise our voices even though we were whispering at each other, afraid the teacher will scold us. We might be debating furiously, yet we're doing it with smiles planted on our face.

 

 

Jungkook, back when we were seatmates, we never had that kind of bond.

 

 

Everyday, we prepare ourselves for the battle of brains ahead. We became accustomed to our little fights it became joy for us. I cannot explain the feelings to you, Jungkook, because I feel as though you need to have an argument to your crush for you to fully comprehend the happiness I felt.
And because of these, Myungsoo and I were called Prince and Princess of Math.

 

 

He was still mad at me while we were on the way to the Physics Laboratory. After Math, our subject is Science.

 

 

He was walking at the stairs, unaware I was behind him when he spoke. The words coming out of his mouth flowed as fast as the river found at the back of our school.

 

 

"Why am I such an idiot? How come I lost to Suji?" He said. "And now I owe her a favor."

 

 

"Look at him. The skinny one's going crazy." I whispered to Yuna.

 

 

It was supposed to be a joke meant for the two of us, but Yuna didn't seem to understand the word secrecy so she repeated my words to Myungsoo.

 

 

"What did you say?" Myungsoo stopped walking.

 


"Hmm? Did I say anything?" I tried hiding my smile.

 

 

I was used to kidding around with him so I knew what he would do will be a scheme again. He might look serious, but in the inside, he's laughing like a hyena.

 

 

He stepped forward towards me so I was forced to step back. We had reached the landing of the stairs. He continued advancing, and I retreating. I became afraid. I was cornered. I cannot take another step, my back was already pressing against the wall. Yet the stern emotion on his face remained.

 

 

"What did you say again?" He asked, which I didn't answer.

 

 

He raised his hands. I closed my eyes, readying myself for whatever may happen. I thought back then he might hurt me.

 

 

"Did you say that," He covered my ears with his hands. "I. Am. S. Kin. Ny?" Every syllable he said was matched by him shaking me.

 

 

He froze.

 

 

We were both taken aback by the sudden close contact. I can smell his hot breath. I can see his dilating pupil, even though I need to look up because of the height difference. I can feel his warmth that radiates life.

 

 

I was looking at anything else not him, while he was looking at nothing else but me.

 

 

That time, I really wanted to tell him I have a crush on him. I wanted to scold him and make him realize to stop doing those things because I might fall completely to him.

 

 

Unfortunately, I didn't have a chance to do what I was planning to do because he spoke again. "We're five minutes late."

 

 

"Whoever comes last will buy lunch." He said before running.

 

 

I followed him right after I slapped myself back to reality. We ran across the corridor, never minding the sign that states, "No horse running." We were late so we sat at the back. We were about to watch a documentary about the Greatest Discovery in Science. My neck was hurting from after looking up at the projector for a long time and was currently showing the face of Albert Einstein. And Myungsoo's shoulder was alluring.

 


I rested my head on his shoulder. It felt perfect as if it was sculpted only for me. Myungsoo didn't move, but he asked me what I was doing.

 


"Don't be full of malice. I'm like this to everyone." I lied, even though Myungsoo was the only boy I leaned on.