Twentieth Page

Wishes and Dreams

The moment my right foot touched the school's ground, I decided to call Minseo. Using cellphones inside the school perimeter is not allowed so I had to do the call in the deserted cubicle at a comfort room. Minseo answered on the third ring. I told him to go to school earlier than his usual time and meet me at the rooftop.

After twenty minutes, I saw the top of his head poking over the stairs. He had his bag slung around him lazily. He was a mess. He still had his bedroom hair and he looked sloppy. He informed me he rushed himself so I have no right to ridicule him.

"So, are you finally agreeing," he greeted me with a question.

"Is it that controversial? About Jungkook's crush?" I also gave his question another question. 

He did not answer me. Instead, he looked at me straight in the eye and asked- again-about what I think about it. He told me in a sarcastic way that it must not be that important since I was the only person he let in their conversation when I'm a Nerd amd they're the Boys. He told me it'll be fine if I spread what I know.

He was using reverse psychology over me again. Minseo has mastered that trick. The type where he won't tell you the answer right away because he want you to answer your own question. You'll wish to talk to yourself rather than confronting him when he's on this kind of mood. The downside of him being mysterious. 

"Because... you already know long ago Jungkook likes someone," I started. It was a declarative sentence but it sounded like a question. "Yet you, the Boys, don't know who this certain girl is for he kept it a secret from everyone, including you. But why didn't he tell you? You're like his second bestfriend and you're trustworthy. I know this because you never spilled my beans."

Minseo just cleared his throat, annoyingly silent. I scratched the back of my neck out of frustration.

"Because he was afraid of treason. Someone might spread the truth and once it happens, it'll be awkward between him and the girl. Just like what happened between me and him," I guessed. "Wait, does this mean the girl is our classmate?"

Minseo nodded.

"Then why would he choose to reveal the truth now? It's romantic, confessing on the day of love but why now? Is it because we're graduating? I mean, he kept it a secret for so long."

Minseo remained silent. He was wearing his familiar poker face. A face void of emotions. I have grown tired of answering my own questions. I was losing my patience and Minseo seeming like he was enjoying the sight of my dumbfounded reaction added fuel to the fire budding up inside me. What's the use of meeting him in the rooftop if he's not going to tell me anything.

"You're not answering me," I said, the irritation in my voice was not mistakable.

Minseo smirked his trademark smirk- lopsided and creepy.

"Are you saying you're agreeing on this adventure?" He said. I raised my eyebrows up and down. "Finally. Good. By the way, Jungkook gave us another clue. He said Miss Mysterious was our classmate since Grade 7 and she has an E on her name."

"I don't have an E on my name."

"Lee. Lee Suji." His answer was as quick as lightning. "It's already seven, we need to head back to our room or else we'll be late. I'm going to contact you if Jungkook gives another clue."

Minseo hurried over to the stairs. I tried to stop him by asking him as to why he was telling me those things. He paused for awhile and said, "Why do you think so?"

He gave me back my question. The typical Minseo way: ask and you'll be answered by another and more confusing question.

~

It was the last subject for the day. Mastery of Korean Language. The teacher was instructing us about an interschool competition where our room wa required to join. With just listening to her describe the flow of the events, I was already exhausted. It was a big event and our section has to win to uphold the reputation of being the pilot class.

Amidst my inner protests, I fooled myself to attentively listen to her. But I wasn't able to stop my eyes from roaming around the bright room. I recalled Minseo's word about your crush being our classmate since Grade 7.

One by one, I observed them. Maybe since you choose not to make the world know about your feelings was for the sake of you and this lucky girl's friendship. So my surveillance stopped at the location of the Rich and the Famous. The Boys are close to them. There was Kim Sojung, Jung Yerin, Choi Yuna, Kim Yewon, Jung Eunbi and Hwang Eunbi. To be specific, I had my eyes set on Hwang Eunbi.

There was a rumor when we were in Grade 11 that Eunbi likes you. That there was an issue concerning the two of you. That up until now, Eunbi is still waiting for the day to come where you'd resume the blooming romance you had. Eunbi fits your ideal type. She has a mature thinking, pretty, y without showing much skin and she also has an E on her name.

Fortunately and unfortunately, you suddenly turned around to face me. Eunbi was seated a few seats in front of you so I looked like I've seen a ghost pass by when I realized it wasn't Eunbi I was staring at anymore. When I woke up from my dazed state, I sat straight, removed my left hand from my cheeks and clumsily straightened my uniform. I asked you about what you needed. You stared at me first, eye to eye, as if I was an alien species that got sidetracked on earth and you are amused at me.

"Sir said," you began saying.

My stomach flipped upside down with just the sound of your soothing voice. I noticed the way you moved your lower lip against your upper lip as if you were kissing yourself. I instantly removed my eyes away from your rosy lips out of fear you might see me looking at it. And out of fear of what I might do if I continue looking at it.

"You'll be the one assigned to collect our written report in Chemistry."

I was captivated, held hostage by the magic your voice seem to have. I noticed the way you sit and how it highlights your broad and defined shoulders. And also the way your hair falls in your forehead, barely covering it. 

You placed in my desk, which had a notebook opened at a random empty page that time, a bundle of short folders containing our Chemistry reports. I took it, even though my hands were shaking, my body fully aware about your close proximity and I could touch you if I gathered enough courage. Sometimes I get the itch to touch you.

I wondered out loud, amused because the homework was already collected and compiled. All I had to do was give it to our teacher at the Faculty Room.

Now it was your turn to be shy. I stole a glimpse towards your skinny hands. I asked myself with how it would feel to have the lines of your palm align with mine. Whether your hands were cold because mine is always warm. 

Unable to form words, you gave me a brief shrug. Embarrassed, you stood up and approached the Boys. I watched the way you walked- half proud and half embarrassed. I also noticed how you slid in gracefully in one of the empty chairs. 

I noticed little things about you.

And I also noticed that you're not aware of those gestures you developed over the course of time.

But I also noticed that those simple details about you are not new to me anymore. I was aware of it already, yet I choose not to admit it to myself. I know you. Your voice set as a ringtone of my beating heart. Your name etched at the walls of my skin. Your entire identity a comfort zone for me: my source of happiness, peace and inspiration.

You are my favorite song when I was still a child. Even if I sometimes forget the lyrics, the moment I hear the music play, my mouth automatically sings to the tune of the beat.

You're familiar to me but at the same time, you're also a stranger.

It is with this moment I began to think that maybe I never stopped liking you.

 

 

 

 

-------

Author's note: I'm sorry for not updating for like a month. I was working on a one-shot (entitled The Truth, it's already completed and posted) when I got hospitalized for certain reasons. Then school has started and I had to adapt towards the change (I'm in SHS and everything is new). But now that I am back, I will update daily again. Swear to the stars and moon and everything else.

Also, JungHalla, this is for you and for everyone that doesn't get shy to comment on the story. I love you guys and thanks for the support.