Nineteenth Page

Wishes and Dreams

 

It was Friday. I can still remember it well. January 30. I know the exact date it happened because we made a tradition in class: in every month's last day of class, we're going to have a general cleaning for our beloved room.


The room was surprisingly loud, not just from the almost synchronized sweeping of brooms and scrunching of papers. It was us who was loud. Gone was the intimidating geniuses of the first section. We were, inspite of the masks we wore to protect us from dust, animatedly talking to one another. Cleaning our second home made us kindergartens again- giddy, youthful and without worries.


I was the one assigned on managing the shining of the floor. Some finds putting floorwax on the floor an unpleasant chore, except for the Nerds who thought of it as an exciting bonding moment. My head was down that time, my concentration fully given to scrubbing the red substance of the floor, when the Boys came in to create havoc. They were all around the area, smashing their brooms against one another as if they were Medieval knights fighting for the crusade.


I was exhausted and all I ever wanted was for the day's work to be done. Yet the Boys were delaying the process. At a certain state, I lost my composure. I shouted at them. I called them gays for interrupting us and never helping us at the first place. I would admit that some of the words I've thrown- although true- were hurtful.


Taehyung was taken aback. He told me to repeat what I said. Taehyung, despite being highly respected by his peers, is hot headed. He picks fights almost all the time. His gaze was that of a brewing hurricane. Ready to rain down on me while I dumbly followed his order of reiterating myself.


I knew Taehyung was growing mad and I should have squeezed my mouth shut. He asked me if I stood firm on what I said. I nodded curtly. Taehyung smirked, deviously condemning my end.


Taehyung stepped closer and by reflex, I retreated. He stepped forward amd I, backward. Everyone else stopped cleaning to watch a movie scene unfold in front of them. The leaders of the two groups. The Boys versus the Nerds. It was a rare scene, and they can't bear to miss it.


We continued on that same footwork, until my feet hit something concrete. I felt my back press against the storage cabinet.


I heard the people around me take sharp intakes of breath. Some screamed, and a tray dropped. I looked up to see what's causing the commotion.


Above the cabinet lays a cartoon filled with folders, lost-and-found books and unused notebooks. I know, because it was me who put it there. And it was slowly falling. The intelligent part of me was telling me to go away, but it felt like my feet were glued to the ground. I heard Taehyung stride away from the upcoming danger.
I, on the other hand, kept on looking up. I was waiting for danger's lips to kiss me to sleep. I closed my eyes, so as to avoid seeing my death. I waited for the pain to tickle me. I waited for it to smash on me, until I-


A hand clasped my arm. Someone wrapped their arms around me. Suddenly, I was enclosed in a warm embrace. It... felt like home. I opened my eyes to see who was my savior.


It was a man named Jeon Jungkook.


Much to my astonishment, it was you. I thought you already went home, considering you have fever. I felt comfortable inside the protection your arms endowed upon me. You never strayed your eyes away from mine even when the box landed on your broad shoulders. You didn't even blink, even if your expression hardened due to pain.


"Are you alright?", you whispered.


I almost cried on the spot of hearing you utter those concerned words. You made me your priority instead of yourself. You saved me from an ensuing danger, but in turn, it was you who is in peril. I nodded at your questions, all because it was the only thing I can do. I cannot speak for I was struggling to quiet down the sobs I'm about to release. I started crying. You sighed when you confirmed I was unarmed.


I saw a tiny glimmer of smile escape your lips before you fainted.


**********


The school medic was instantly called to aid you. Everyone was speaking, but I heard nothing. The only sound I could hear was loud slamming of the cartoon in your back. It was put on repeat on my mind, and every flashback still brings me shivers down the spine.


Only one was around to come with you to the clinic. The guards that assisted on carrying you to thw stretcher thought that since it was me whom you saved, it should also be me who'll accompany you. On our way, we passed by Taehyung. He looked pale.


Great relief surged through me when the doctor announced that no internal organ were harmed. Thankfully, it was a minor accident and you'll get bumps and bruises but it'll heal by time. You passed out due to the sudden pain you endured.


The school doctor then asked me if we were friends.


I hesitated for a moment. "I used to," I said in a low voice.


The doctor gave me a smile, that kind off smile you'll see in the lips of your mother of grandmother. That kind of smile that gives reassurance and certainty. She told me my answer was wrong. For her, we were still friends.


"Because if not, why would he dare to do this to himself?"


After checking you again. She went back to her office, leaving the two of us alone in the lonely ward. I sat at the edge of the bed you were put to. You were still unconscious.


I looked at you. I looked at you well because it was my only chance to do so. I can only look at you when you are in front of me, or when you're oblivious. I etched your peaceful image at the back of my head, trying hard to memorize your picture. Never wanting to forget.


I traced your distinct facial features using my left hand. It hovered above your face, close enough but never enough to hold you. I wished back then for the world to stop revolving, so that we can stay that way.


But then your rose-colored lips moved. My eyes widened in shock when I heard my name escape your lips.


"Suji."


I stood up, afraid you might open your eyes and see my face in close proximity with yours.


I asked you if you needed something.


I waited for several seconds but you did not answer back. I realized you were just talking in your sleep.


I calmly went back to my seat on your bed, this time, being extra careful not to wake you up. Fatigue knocked on my door so I put head down. I decided to take a nap. I remembered myself before dozing off.


I was happy.

 


A/n: Yay! Wishes and Dreams is so close to getting 40 subs, and it has only been two months since I posted this. (Thanks a lot to those who subscribed!) What do you think about the story? Comments (and upvotes) are highly appreciated!