Ninth Page

Wishes and Dreams

 

 

There's something special about the sea that calms you down- maybe it was the rocking of the boat in tune with the rhythm of the wave, or it could also be the peace you'll feel from being temporarily away from civilization, or it could simply be the salty smell of the air.

 


I am currently aboard a boat my father originally owned but is now property of my uncles. The boat was left untouched for several years- my father became too busy with his law firm. Then he decided to let everyone borrow the boat so as to prevent it from rusting from rare usage.

 

My uncles are currently diving the abyss of the sea, making sure their nets are casted properly. They teased me for bringing the 'large notebook that she never lets anyone to read' here. They knew there's a big possibility of the notebook getting wet and all my efforts put to waste but I didn't listen to them. It'll be better for me to write and take the risk than to stare at nothing while waiting for them to rise above the surface.

 

The marks in my thigh caused from being in the hammock all night are still visible. They formed red crosses and xs. I'm lucky I was not bitten by a mosquito or dragged by monsters of the urban legends, unlike what my cousins warned me about. So, I'm going to continue writing our story.

 

Maybe it was fate taunting us. Maybe the higher ups thought my life was bland, they decided to put spice in it.

 

Our last seating arrangement felt like a joke made by a teacher where we need to laugh if you don't want to fail the subject. The seating arrangement was still by pair. I was seated at the middle row, second to the last at the right corner. At my back there was Minseo and Lee Jiyi, our class president. You were situated in front of me and my bestfriend, Yuna was beside you. And behind her is my new seatmate, Myungsoo.

 

You were close to me. It was close enough for me to touch you, Jungkook. But Myungsoo was seating beside me. We will be seatmates for three months, three times longer than ours. Suddenly, I couldn't care to bother if I do something stupid in front of you. What's in my mind was how I will hide my growing feelings for Myungsoo and not blow up my cover again.

 

I didn't want history to repeat itself.

 

"Hi to my new seatmate", Myungsoo greeted me while putting his green Vans bag at the back of Yuna's chair. I was already seated back then so I needed to look up to show him my smile as my exchange of greeting. "I'm Kim Myungsoo. And you must be," He gave me his hand to shake.

 

"I know who you are. Stop fooling around", I slapped his outstretched hand with a smile on my lips.


He was also smiling while telling me he'll report me to the teacher for my violence.

 


"I'm fragile, you know." He boasted, showing off his skinny arms, and I can't help but laugh at his silliness.

 


Our teacher for the first hour of class didn't come so Myungsoo and I continued talking. He's friendly and easy to be with. He's not the flirty type, but neither was he shy. He said his charm towards girls came from him being close to his mother. Our conversation was punctuated and not continuos. We were not that close yet. We always run out of words to say or topics to discuss.

 


"Now let's get serious", Myungsoo said out of the blue. He twisted his body a little bit so he can face me.

 


I'm always amazed everytime he does those. One second you were laughing, the next he'll be super serious, you can't help but prepare for whatever may come.

 


"I'm glad you became my seatmate."

 


"I do, too." I admitted. "I'm also glad you became my seatmate."


I stared at him straight in the eye, his distinct smell stronger with him near me. I watched myself being reflected by his brown eyes.

 


"I'm sitting with the school's smartest student." He even lifted his eyebrows up and down several times.

 


He said he was in a daze, thinking that he will never get a zero in a test anymore with me close to him. I smirked at his lousy explanation. Myungsoo getting zero in a test was like a cat attempting to breed with a rat. It is nearly impossible. Remember, Myungsoo was also one of the smartest students in school.


I put my hand down for awhile. It was hurting from my nonstop writing. While I was resting it, I looked around me. I'll admit that I was afraid by what I saw. I was at the center of the sea, and I am surrounded by the boundless sky. The clouds are big, looking beautiful like they were painted by God himself. The ray of the sun didn't hurt that much.


Then suddenly a thought hit me.

 


I was in the center of all of these and I felt so small. I felt like I have no significance in this galaxy, just a microscopic dot.

 


It sure matches with my place there in your heart.

 


I'm just a simple girl who learned how to fall in love. I'm a small line in the Mayan Calendar. Unimportant. Yet in my world you were the head in the ancient calendar.

 


The legendary Mayan calendar won't be complete without the monstrous head.

 


A cold breeze crept in me when I recalled something.

 


Do you still remember that ungrateful day where your fangirls got so jealous of me being your friend- although we weren't at that time anymore- they pushed me towards the school's 10-feet swimming pool? That day where I almost died if only Minseo didn't notice a hand waving in the water and my head appearing and disappearing?

 


Now those memories came haunting at me again, like ghosts. Although the memories are scarier than ghosts. Ghosts do not hurt you, memories do.

 


I closed my eyes, trying to suppress everything but I always end up losing. It never happens the way I want it to be. The more you try to forget something, the more you remember it.

 


The images came flashing at me. They were fragmented and blurred, but the essence of panic and hopelessness is still intact. The deepness of the azure pool. The loss of breath. The numbing of my nerve as I consume all my oxygen. And finally, my surrender to death.

 


When the flood inside me subsided and my brain processed that I survived from the tragedy, I opened my dampened eyes. My uncles are not yet done so no one would know I was having a panic attack again. One. Two. One. Two. One. Two. I controlled my breathing. The attack should not happen again. I still need to finish this.

 


The story is just starting. A lot of things are still yet to happen.