Fourth Page

Wishes and Dreams

I'm going to list the possible reasons why the distance between us grew wider.

 

1. You knew I liked you because of that stupid notebook.

2. Our room was divided into different cliques.

3. We didn't have time to interact because of school projects.

4. Talking becomes awkward because you knew I like you.

5. You knew that I like you.

6. I am embarrassed because you knew I like you.

 

The other reasons I listed doesn't need to be elaborated anymore. Yet you might not understand why I added number 2 in the list.

 

Our teachers kept on telling us we are one big happy family and they hope we can unite and be one. Now I knew the reason why we didn't win in some of the by-section contests. Because even if our teachers kept reminding us, we can't help but be divided.

 

It all started when we were in Grade 11. There are five groups in the classroom: the Geeks, the Party-goers, the Rich and the Famous, the Boys and the Nerds. It might be because you are Mr. Popular, you belong in two groups: the Rich and the Famous, and the Boys. It's so cliche regarding as to how many novels have the same situation, but I belong to the Nerds. Instant romance novel idea.

 

Let's start with your group. It can't be helped to have a separate group of boys in any classroom. Crys told me that this group was only formed because the boys don't want to meddle with the business of girls. "It's turning us gay.", Crys explained to me. I always see you together with the Boys looking like kids once again because of the silly games you play in the room.

 

Louis was the leader, and you were the assistant of your bestfriend. Whatever you or Louis says, they follow, out of their respect for you. Not every boy in the room decided to be part of your group. Some went to the Party-goers. I found it odd when Crys told me one day that your talks doesn't evolve on basketball teams. Your group was also fond of talking about your crushes and the girls crushing on you. I thought you don't like to include yourselves with girl's businesses.

 

I'd admit I don't understand the mentality of the Rich and the Famous. Don't be mad because you are part of them. Almost every weekend you go to malls to shop, or eat at fancy restaurants, or do whatever as long as  it ensures the waste of the money in your wallets. I'm mad at people who throw away their money like a chewing gum wrapper.

 

Didn't you use to scold me because I was being too thrifty? Up until now I still don't eat anything during recess or after school because I hate spending money. There's still lunch or dinner by the way. I still walk the road from school to the terminal to save money. I don't spend my money lavishly because I want to use it incase a crisis, although unlikely, might happen.

 

Imagine my sadness when we had a group activity and I was the only one coming from the Nerd and all of my groupmates were from the Party-goers and the Rich and the Famous. I tried joining with their conversation, but they seemed to let me know I am not par with their level. They kept saying that "Someone something someone so someone did something to someone." They're right, you know. They're all famous, with their facebook profiles having 500 and above likes, while I only have 30 or 20 likes.

 

The Nerds. It's not that we don't study well, but I just think that we, Nerds, are the most studious one. We are always the most punctual during class and in passing the homework or projects. If not because of them, I won't become the Second honor. If there's someone in us who becomes lazy in studying for a test, we help her have inspiration. We're all girls in the team. The members are Kim Yuna, Jeon Minju, Jung Yujin, Cheon Jaein, Im Nayeon, Yoo Jeongyeon and Kim Dahyun. We're loud, and we talk mostly about the latest episode of a Korean drama. Our bonding time is just staying at the house of Yuna or Minju. We're different than what you do.

 

Whenever the teacher is absent, five circles immediately form in our room. The circles of the Nerds and the Boys are always near. You don't know how many times I stare at your back. If only staring at someone can make them melt, then maybe you were long gone by then after all those stolen glances of mine. I kept thinking maybe if you didn't acquire my notebook, maybe I'll be part of the group you're in also. While having those thoughts, it'll be too late for me to notice you were also staring back at me. I then would divert my eyes, wishing to hide my blush. My heart would bang against my ribcage because of our short eye contact.

 

I would have butterflies in my stomach, but then I would realize you might be irritated already or you might find me creepy. And that it is impossible for me to be part of your group. I'm rich, yes, but famous?

 

Nevermind.