Thirteenth Page

Wishes and Dreams

 

 

It took me a while to start writing again. I was busy these past few days trying to adjust myself to live in the outskirts of Busan.

 


It was quarter to two when my uncles swam back to the surface, proudly holding their nets full of fishes in front of me. When we reached the shore, a group of people were already waiting for us. Some faces were familiar to me while the majority were strangers to me. My uncles said I know them, but I can't recall them since I was young when my family moved to Seoul. The family I came from must be a well-known one, judging by the warm welcome of the villagers. They brought the fishes caught by my uncles. Some used money, while some exchanged it with rice or a variety of fruits and vegetables. It was the past meeting the future. Amidst the new technology, I was surprised because the barter method is still being used.

 


When everything was sold except for the basket of fish we reserved for us, we decided to head back home. There's not much of a vehicle so the transportation used by the people here are bicycles only, or they depend on their feet. Scooters are being a trend nowadays here, specially for the younger ones.

 


The walk back home usually takes thirty minutes, but I never felt tired. The stories told to me by my uncles were entertaining and it made me lose track of time. Yet our journey took an hour. We kept on stopping to met the endless wave of people I never seemed to reminisce. The province is a small place, so everyone knows everyone.

 


  I'll admit I didn't enjoy that part. Every time they introduce someone to me, all I can do is smile at them. I cannot tell them they look older, or they lost weight, or gossip to them about their past, for I really don't recall any single memory about them. Everyone's expecting me to do so. Unfortunately, it was not my mistake that I don't know them.

 


When we reached the house, I greeted my grandmother in my mother's side and everyone older than me. I watched them cook the fishes and chop the vegetables for the side dishes. They also repeatedly asked me if I needed someone, and I also repeatedly told them I'm alright. They treat me like a princess here. My mother was the golden child of all. The miracle of the village. She was the only one to break the spell the village is said to have and was able to leave towards the city. She was successful in her field. When she became somewhat wealthy, she renovated the house and brought land that is now a vegetable plantation. They looked up at her like a queen, and me -being her only child- is their princess. A princess they needed to serve.

 


But I never admired that kind of thinking. I bet you already know why. I don't like special treatments; and to be honest, I don't fancy the thought of having everyone concerned about me. It's tiring. There's a lot of people whose concerned about my well-being already, I don't want them to be a part too.

 


The grandfather cluck struck three so we prayed. After it, we continued eating. almost everyone's using their fingers in eating the fishes and we shared the same sauce. The environment was alive with laughters.

 


Another cousin of mine arrived with a plastic full of ripe mangoes. He gave me an ear-splitting grin as he sat beside me. I returned his favor, although I couldn't smile as wide as he did. He told me -even if I didn't ask him- that the plastic of mangoes was given to him by his neighbor. I told him his neighbor was generous but he just shrugged at my words. He said it's not new to have gifts all of a sudden in the province.

 

 

"There's not much to do in the province. You'll wake up early to do whatever you need to do- plant new seeds, go fishing, feed the animals, or hunt. After your task, you have nothing left to do. The boredom allows you to think." He spoke, his mouth filled with grilled fish. "You'll begin tk realize that the life you're living is simple. But you're contented. Because you have everything you need, money won't be needed that much anymore. As far as you have something to fill your stomach, you can give up on the rest. So villagers are fond of giving. What's the use of keeping your veggies if it's gonna rot?"

 

 

He stopped speaking for awhile to drink. He even offered me the fried fish innards which I politely declined.
"Just wait. After you have spent several days here, you're way of thinking will also change. That's the same reason why people take vacations in provinces. To clench the thirst of their hearts."

 


Even when alot refused of me helping them, I was still able to lend a hand by wiping the plates with dry cloth. Then, I went to the plantation where different kinds of fruits and vegetables are found. I successfully identified the apple trees, mango trees, squash, radish, tomato and corn. I also passed by the hut where Sarang, a pig, was kept. Grandmother said she was due and they were expecting her to bear five healthy piglets.

 


A little bit further and I finally arrived to where I wanted to be. The walk from the house to the hammock is one kilometer, but there's also other houses nearby. When the hammock was in plain sight, I told Grandmother that I'll be fine with myself. She looked like she was about to disagree for a second, but at the end, she let me.

 


It wasn't in my plan, yet the moment my back touched the hammock, I fell asleep. Might be because of exhaustion. When I woke up, the sun is nowhere to be seen and there's a fire at the distance lit up to keep me warm. I found my notebook and pen on the ground. Untouched.

 


Maybe, Jungkook, this is God's plan to help me. Maybe this is not just a simple vacation. Maybe God also wants me to find myself. Maybe it'll all make sense.

 


Maybe after this, I'll return to who I was.

 


Everything will return back to what it was supposed to be.

 


Maybe when I go back to Seoul, every single part of me is united, unlike now that's divided into pieces.

 


I was a mirror and fate decided to drop me into the floor. Yet even if it hurts and I might bleed, I'll pick up every single piece and join them together... until I am complete again